Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New owner observations and question...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a four-day owner, I am in cloud nine with my MY LR. Here are some observations and follow-up questions I have:

For those on the fence about purchasing a MY and are watching hours and hours of youtube videos or reviewing countless threads on TMC, place your order now. Since picking up my vehicle, I have barely spent any time online. Instead, I have been looking for any excuse to drive my car. My Tesla has been a driving force (no pun intended) to get out of my house and see the world.

After picking up my vehicle, I immediately wanted to use Autopilot. Is it me or does it get better with time? I haven’t experienced any phantom braking, but initially, it really wanted to pull to the left almost directly on the lane marker. After 100 miles, it's centering much better although from time to time, I get a small jerk that disengages AP and goes back to TACC. Overall I still think Autopilot is great.

Speaking of TACC, I found a feature that I was quite frankly shocked to have (in a good way). In my countless hours of watching videos, I never saw this happening. When I am in TACC and hit the turning signal to change lanes, the vehicle will begin drifting automatically to the lane indicated. The only time I have experienced something similar is when I rented a MS on Turo with AP1. Keep in mind that I only have AP and am on the latest version. Is this a trial feature that will eventually be taken away? Does anyone else have this ability on their vehicle?

... Since picking up my vehicle, I have barely spent any time online. Instead, I have been looking for any excuse to drive my car. My Tesla has been a driving force (no pun intended) to get out of my house and see the world. ...
Yes, we know. Many of us have been a victim of the same feeling. For instance:
" Velo1
April 2013 edited November -1
My wife also commented that I am most eager to run errands for her. Just last week she said we need bread and milk for tomorrow. I volunteered to go to the store. I returned with the milk, and then went back to buy the bread. what fun!"

Reactions: friscomelt314
Speaking of TACC, I found a feature that I was quite frankly shocked to have (in a good way). In my countless hours of watching videos, I never saw this happening. When I am in TACC and hit the turning signal to change lanes, the vehicle will begin drifting automatically to the lane indicated. The only time I have experienced something similar is when I rented a MS on Turo with AP1. Keep in mind that I only have AP and am on the latest version. Is this a trial feature that will eventually be taken away? Does anyone else have this ability on their vehicle?
No but now I want to try it!

You make excellent points. I'm not that much newer than you are (going on 6 weeks of ownership)...and I was very much in the same boat about the countless hours spent watching YouTube and reading TMC, and once I got the car I didn't spend as much time online. I think my research was stemming from excitement and wanting to learn as much as I could about the MY before taking delivery.

Enjoy your new car! How did you design it?

Yes, we know. Many of us have been a victim of the same feeling. For instance:
" Velo1
April 2013 edited November -1
My wife also commented that I am most eager to run errands for her. Just last week she said we need bread and milk for tomorrow. I volunteered to go to the store. I returned with the milk, and then went back to buy the bread. what fun!"

Oh the places you'll go...when gas prices don't matter!

Standard. Its been on all compatible cars for a long time.

You are new, so you would not know the history. And many times, its useless to try and keep up.
But Tesla first came out with a menu of things under AP, then EAP, Enhanced AP, and then FSD. Then they re-sorted/juggled the list, and moved somethings from AP and FSD to the other. As I recall, auto lane changing was moved from FSD to AP, so free. As you likely know, all now come with AP.

Standard. Its been on all compatible cars for a long time.

You are new, so you would not know the history. And many times, its useless to try and keep up.
But Tesla first came out with a menu of things under AP, then EAP, Enhanced AP, and then FSD. Then they re-sorted/juggled the list, and moved somethings from AP and FSD to the other. As I recall, auto lane changing was moved from FSD to AP, so free. As you likely know, all now come with AP.
I thought auto lane change was part of FSD. Is OP discussing asking about something other than that?

In my experience driving in AP (also new, so also limited knowledge), turning the turn signal on does only that. Changing lanes remains a manual process and requires the re-engagement of AP after changing lanes in my experience.

I thought auto lane change was part of FSD. Is OP discussing asking about something other than that?

In my experience driving in AP (also new, so also limited knowledge), turning the turn signal on does only that. Changing lanes remains a manual process and requires the re-engagement of AP after changing lanes in my experience.
Aloha, it was part of FSD when FSD first was talked about. My post attempted to explain they shuffle the features around between AP and FSD. But now, I am unsure of my own post. I am watching a Ryan Shaw weekly update on Tesla, and he talks about Auto Lane Change being part of FSD right now. So, I believe he's more right than I and I suppose then, yep, I am wrong. I've bought FSD, so my car has Auto Lane Change, even though I don't have FSD Beta, so I may be completely wrong. I will now, go pour another cup of coffee and defer to someone that is more current. Thanks for putting up with me.

Last edited:
I have AP w/Radar, I've not experienced any directional auto steer when using blinkers, but I have noticed a smoother departure from AP when using blinkers vs not.

If I start a lane change with AP and blinker active there is no tug/resistance on the wheel.

Aloha, it was part of FSD when FSD first was talked about. My post attempted to explain they shuffle the features around between AP and FSD. But now, I am unsure of my own post. I am watching a Ryan Shaw weekly update on Tesla, and he talks about Auto Lane Change being part of FSD right now. So, I believe he's more right than I and I suppose then, yep, I am wrong. I've bought FSD, so my car has Auto Lane Change, even though I don't have FSD Beta, so I may be completely wrong. I will now, go pour another cup of coffee and defer to someone that is more current. Thanks for putting up with me.
Darn, I was all excited last night that I had auto lane change capability! Oh well, guess I'll have to continue changing lanes the old fashioned way for now...

All - as soon as I get my car back from getting PPF and Tint installed, I will share a video. But either I am going crazy or the car is definitely changing lanes on its own while in TACC (not AP) and after having turned on the turning signal. My neighbor seems to think its a temporary additional feature that will go away eventually...

All - as soon as I get my car back from getting PPF and Tint installed, I will share a video. But either I am going crazy or the car is definitely changing lanes on its own while in TACC (not AP) and after having turned on the turning signal. My neighbor seems to think its a temporary additional feature that will go away eventually...
So... TACC only keeps speed based on traffic, you steer the car 100% unless you also have lane departure avoidance active, in which case you bounce between the lines until the car gives up and disables the feature on you. Perhaps, with your blinker enabled it'll let you aimlessly drift across the corresponding line.

Auto Steer actively keeps you SAFELY in the center of the lane. If you are driving hands free with only TACC enabled... you are actively taking a long walk off a short pier to a Darwin award...

Clarification:
Standard Auto Pilot features
1 pull on right stalk = TACC (speed only)
2 pulls on right stalk = Auto Steer (centers the car in the lane detected)

To have Auto Lane Change currently requires 3 active features: TACC, Auto-Steer and FSD. At least according to all current documentation on the Tesla website regarding these features.

Last edited: