Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New owner of 2018 Model X - questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just purchased a 2018 Model X. I have a few questions I'm not able to find answers for - thanks for helping.
I do not have a lot of miles behind the wheel yet (just under 150 miles).

1) It appears that the frunk does not have an auto lock or auto close - correct?
2) Even though I -think- my iPhone is properly paired with the car - the car still wants me to have the
key fob with me in order to do important stuff (like actually move/drive the car). Is this correct or
is there something in configuring my "phone as a key" that is missing?
3) I was in a parking lot last night demonstrating the new car to friends. The rear door was clear (to me)
but it did not open up all the way. I closed it and reopened it and it went all the way up. Why?
4) I do not seem to be able to make the Summon work. Can you point me at a good set of
instructions for this feature? Yes, I had my phone and fob in my possession at the time.
5) The dealer recommended that we use the rear camera to 'improve' the visibility to the rear.
Anyone using that? All the time? Visibility to the rear is "less than impressive"!
6) If I wear my prescription sunglasses (probably polarized) a lot of the info on the screens
(both center and behind steering wheel) can not be seen. What are you doing about that?
7) What level of regenerative braking are you using? I find the amount of speed reduction by
simply taking my foot off the accelerator is too aggressive. I'm already using "Chill".
8) The amount of force to turn the steering wheel is considerably more than any car I've
every driven. Is this "by design"? Configurable in the software? Need to have dealer
look at it? I would describe it as "tight" and requiring more effort than I'm expecting -
even just steering on the freeway to maintain lane and make the gentle turns is more
than I'm expecting/used to ...
- TIA ... Jim in Burlington, Wa.

I just purchased a 2018 Model X. I have a few questions I'm not able to find answers for - thanks for helping.

1) It appears that the frunk does not have an auto lock or auto close - correct?
2) Even though I -think- my iPhone is properly paired with the car - the car still wants me to have the
key fob with me in order to do important stuff (like actually move/drive the car). Is this correct or
3) I was in a parking lot last night demonstrating the new car to friends. The rear door was clear (to me)
but it did not open up all the way. I closed it and reopened it and it went all the way up. Why?
4) I do not seem to be able to make the Summon work. Can you point me at a good set of
instructions for this feature? Yes, I had my phone and fob in my possession at the time.
5) The dealer recommended that we use the rear camera to 'improve' the visibility to the rear.
Anyone using that? All the time? Visibility to the rear is "less than impressive"!
6) If I wear my prescription sunglasses (probably polarized) a lot of the info on the screens
(both center and behind steering wheel) can not be seen. What are you doing about that?
7) What level of regenerative braking are you using? I find the amount of speed reduction by
simply taking my foot off the accelerator is too aggressive. I'm already using "Chill".
8) The amount of force to turn the steering wheel is considerably more than any car I've
every driven. Is this "by design"? Configurable in the software? Need to have dealer
look at it? I would describe it as "tight" and requiring more effort than I'm expecting -
even just steering on the freeway to maintain lane and make the gentle turns is more
1). No autoclose of the frunk. Manual only.
2). there is no “Phone as key“ feature On the X. That only exists on the 3 and Y. (that will change in 2022)
3). perhaps you were standing too close the car. Sometimes strong sun will cause false object detection.
4). The owners manual describes summon well. Make sure “continuous press” is not selected.
5). Matter of opinion. I find having the rear camera on, is very distracting.
6). No idea. I do not have or use sunglasses.
7). Maximum regen is best IMO. For best mileage/range you want the most regen. It doesn’t take long to adapt. Chill has no impact on regen.
8). Steering force is configurable. Settings Driving (I think)

On the sunglasses, you may need to get a pair without polarized lenses. I did that years ago when I had a plane and noticed that certain displays were black because they had a polarized display. Same issue with the HUD in BMW X3 disappearing. I ended up having to have the corrective polarized lenses replaced for $450 in my sunglasses.

Thanks for answers! Sales guy at dealer seemed to imply that "phone as key" is possible - but
he may not know the details with respect to this particular year and model.
Bummer about the polarized glasses - I actually have them "only for driving" and they aren't
so much "corrective" as an enhancement since I recently had cataract surgery. My bad for
choosing polarized? Not sure I agree with that ... *sigh*.
WRT the max regen - if you use max regen you often/almost always have to maintain some
pressure on the accelerator. I've even had guys behind me who had to "react very quickly
because the X was slowing so fast". And I have 3 different vehicles that I use each of "about
once a week or so" ... so that makes "getting used to it soon enough" a problem. Plus
this 76 year old guy has a lot of years of experience with different responses to taking your
foot off the accelerator. I'm hoping it won't be a problem long term.

Thanks for everyone's answers - they all help a lot. - Jim in Burlington, Wa.

Thanks for answers! Sales guy at dealer seemed to imply that "phone as key" is possible - but
Bummer about the polarized glasses - I actually have them "only for driving" and they aren't
so much "corrective" as an enhancement since I recently had cataract surgery. My bad for
choosing polarized? Not sure I agree with that ... *sigh*.
WRT the max regen - if you use max regen you often/almost always have to maintain some
pressure on the accelerator. I've even had guys behind me who had to "react very quickly
because the X was slowing so fast". And I have 3 different vehicles that I use each of "about
once a week or so" ... so that makes "getting used to it soon enough" a problem. Plus
this 76 year old guy has a lot of years of experience with different responses to taking your
foot off the accelerator. I'm hoping it won't be a problem long term.

Thanks for everyone's answers - they all help a lot. - Jim in Burlington, Wa.
Phone as Key is not possible with any X on the road today. in 2022 that will change. Now you CAN use the phone to allow secondary access to the vehicle, and allow driving with password. That is not “phone as key.” IOW, you have to open the app, and log in to your Tesla account to get there. ”Phone as Key” requires no interaction with your phone. Walk up to car, open the door, get in and drive away, never touching your phone.

Sales guy at dealer seemed to imply that "phone as key" is possible - but
It is worth noting that you can open the car and drive the model X with just the phone, but it is not the passive “phone as key.” You have to open the app and hit the lock icon to unlock, and the key icon to enable driving. You can even do this remotely, letting someone else into your car and authorizing them to drive when you are nowhere near the car.
Visibility to the rear is "less than impressive"!
Rear visibility is better in the model X than in any other Tesla model. Although the spoiler runs across it, there is more vertical vision than in any other Tesla. I do sometimes keep the rear display on, but I’ve done that less and less over time.
simply taking my foot off the accelerator is too aggressive. I'm already using "Chill"….
if you use max regen you often/almost always have to maintain some pressure on the accelerator….this 76 year old guy has a lot of years of experience with different responses to taking yourfoot off the accelerator
It is a different feel and one that takes a bit to get used to. I initially reverted to all the jerkiness of a 16 year old driver. Now I absolutely love the dynamics of regen and wouldn’t want to go back. It is different but better, I think. The model 3/Y’s and newer S/X’s even have what they call full one pedal driving where it takes you all the way to a stop without hitting the brake. (Your 2018 would take you down to about 5 mph if you take it off chill. But the brake is needed to come to a full stop)

This is not how my MX behaves. I take my iPhone with me, open the
app, and can unlock car, unlock charge port, stow charging cable
safely out of the way, get in ... and dash says "Key not is car - unable to
drive." (or words to that effect).
If I do not have the key with me - I can not drive the car.
- Jim in Burlington, Wa.

Reactions: D-ATL
1). No autoclose of the frunk. Manual only.
2). there is no “Phone as key“ feature On the X. That only exists on the 3 and Y. (that will change in 2022)
3). perhaps you were standing too close the car. Sometimes strong sun will cause false object detection.
4). The owners manual describes summon well. Make sure “continuous press” is not selected.
5). Matter of opinion. I find having the rear camera on, is very distracting.
6). No idea. I do not have or use sunglasses.
7). Maximum regen is best IMO. For best mileage/range you want the most regen. It doesn’t take long to adapt. Chill has no impact on regen.
8). Steering force is configurable. Settings Driving (I think)
Thanks - most of what you say is how my X behaves. Will "Phone as key" change for all X cars or
only for the 2022 and later builds?

I can't say I'm finding the software "intuitive" ... and there seem to be inconsistencies in how
stuff is labelled/named between the manual and the actual software. Most of the time I can
figure it out but it shouldn't be that way.

Question for everyone. When I use my Windows computer or my iPhone - I get to set up the icons I
want - including positioning them where I want them. Have you thought about stuff like the ability
to have the 'home screen' (the one that comes on when you first get in/power up) looking like you
want it to? For example - I do not want the audio system to take up the bottom third of the screen
and have to 'minimize' it every time. I only want audio when I've said "let's use the audio".
Anybody suggested this to Tesla? Answer? Is there even a way for me to provide suggestions to
Tesla (I have encountered it yet)?
- Jim in Burlington, Wa.

It is worth noting that you can open the car and drive the model X with just the phone, but it is not the passive “phone as key.” You have to open the app and hit the lock icon to unlock, and the key icon to enable driving. You can even do this remotely, letting someone else into your car and authorizing them to drive when you are nowhere near the car.

Rear visibility is better in the model X than in any other Tesla model. Although the spoiler runs across it, there is more vertical vision than in any other Tesla. I do sometimes keep the rear display on, but I’ve done that less and less over time.

It is a different feel and one that takes a bit to get used to. I initially reverted to all the jerkiness of a 16 year old driver. Now I absolutely love the dynamics of regen and wouldn’t want to go back. It is different but better, I think. The model 3/Y’s and newer S/X’s even have what they call full one pedal driving where it takes you all the way to a stop without hitting the brake. (Your 2018 would take you down to about 5 mph if you take it off chill. But the brake is needed to come to a full stop)
@Bigriver how are you able to open and drive your MX without the fob? I have a 2017 MX and have never been able (3+ yrs) to unlock or drive my car without the fob being close around. Please provide details if this is documented somewhere.

Bigriver/all,
I just tried what you said - doing it exactly as you said with my iPhone. When I unlocked the car unlocked. When I did
the keyless driving and provided my Tesla account pswd it told me I have 2 minutes to start driving. After two
minutes the car beeped once (locked and disabled keyless driving).

So THANKS - this does work for my 2018 Model X!!! Just as you said it would. *DOH* (I did not do all the steps in
the correct order when I tried it the first time.)

Reactions: Bigriver
Bigriver/all,
I just tried what you said - doing it exactly as you said with my iPhone. When I unlocked the car unlocked. When I did
the keyless driving and provided my Tesla account pswd it told me I have 2 minutes to start driving. After two

So THANKS - this does work for my 2018 Model X!!! Just as you said it would. *DOH* (I did not do all the steps in
A clear case of "do what I say - not what you think I said". - Jim in Burlington, Wa.

Bigriver/all,

That's weird I've tried the same steps several times in the past and never worked for me. Just tried the following a few minutes ago:
1. From iPhone launch Tesla app
2. Push the Lock icon to unlock. The car doesn't unlock, no sound. Push the handle and nothing happens (tried multiple times), car is still locked.
3. Push the Lock icon again to lock and the lights flash and horn sound once (Locking vehicle)
4. Repeat step #2 and then pushing the Key icon. I'm prompted to enter password and 2 minute countdown begin. Still not able to enter vehicle.
5. Uninstalled app and repeated process, same results.

Push the Lock icon to unlock. The car doesn't unlock, no sound.
Here is what I get immediately after hitting the unlock icon in the app:
C29D3936-10D9-4B79-AB4F-4482EE956DF4.jpeg

So you aren’t getting that confirmation request? If not, wish I knew if that is a car or app failure… curious if anyone chimes in who knows the answer.

Here is what I get immediately after hitting the unlock icon in the app:
View attachment 686778

So you aren’t getting that confirmation request? If not, wish I knew if that is a car or app failure… curious if anyone chimes in who knows the answer.
Yeah I’m receiving that confirmation but nothing happen after pressing Yes. After you press Yes, does the door open automatically or do you have to push the handleto open the door? All this time I just thought this feature wasn’t available for the X/S, so I never looked into it. I’ve opened a SC ticket and see what they come up with.

That's weird I've tried the same steps several times in the past and never worked for me. Just tried the following a few minutes ago:
1. From iPhone launch Tesla app
2. Push the Lock icon to unlock. The car doesn't unlock, no sound. Push the handle and nothing happens (tried multiple times), car is still locked.
3. Push the Lock icon again to lock and the lights flash and horn sound once (Locking vehicle)
4. Repeat step #2 and then pushing the Key icon. I'm prompted to enter password and 2 minute countdown begin. Still not able to enter vehicle.
5. Uninstalled app and repeated process, same results.
D-ATL,
My car is paired with/connected to my home wireless network. As is my iPhone (11). Both
my phone and the Model X are at the very latest level. As is the Tesla app on phone. Any
differences in that list? If no differences - perhaps you didn't take enough time between
when you opened Tesla app and when you tried to use it - I have noticed that both the
iPhone app and the Windows Tesla app take what I consider to be a much longer than
expected time to 'synch with the actual device (the car)'. Much longer, for example, than
my Ring doorbell.
- Jim in Burlington, Wa.

Reactions: D-ATL
D-ATL,
My car is paired with/connected to my home wireless network. As is my iPhone (11). Both
my phone and the Model X are at the very latest level. As is the Tesla app on phone. Any
differences in that list? If no differences - perhaps you didn't take enough time between
when you opened Tesla app and when you tried to use it - I have noticed that both the
iPhone app and the Windows Tesla app take what I consider to be a much longer than
expected time to 'synch with the actual device (the car)'. Much longer, for example, than
my Ring doorbell.
- Jim in Burlington, Wa.
Thanks Jim. Yeah my iPhone XR is on the latest release, I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled the Tesla app, my car and phone is on the same network and my car is running 2021.4.18.2. I did the MCU and FSD upgrade about a year ago (latest hardware), so I’m not sure why it’s never worked (since purchased - 2017). I just thought it was a X/S thing.

Thanks Jim. Yeah my iPhone XR is on the latest release, I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled the Tesla app, my car and phone is on the same network and my car is running 2021.4.18.2. I did the MCU and FSD upgrade about a year ago (latest hardware), so I’m not sure why it’s never worked (since purchased - 2017). I just thought it was a X/S thing.
Do you have other controls available from the app that work? Like can you remotely turn on the climate control?

This sounds silly, but perhaps try rebooting the car. Do all the voodoo steps for the reboot also. Be in park, step and hold on the brake, hold both scroll wheels and the top buttons (above the scroll wheels) down for 30 seconds. Afterwards, once the reboot is done and you get Cell/wifi icon up on the screen showing connected, try again from the app.

Do you have other controls available from the app that work? Like can you remotely turn on the climate control?

This sounds silly, but perhaps try rebooting the car. Do all the voodoo steps for the reboot also. Be in park, step and hold on the brake, hold both scroll wheels and the top buttons (above the scroll wheels) down for 30 seconds. Afterwards, once the reboot is done and you get Cell/wifi icon up on the screen showing connected, try again from the app.
@Fiver Yeah that's the weird part about it. I'm able to open the charge port, frunk, trunk, sound the horn and even at times do summons. Opening the door or driving the car without the fob has never worked. I've tried rebooting (soft and hard) and powering off via the console. Just can't get the door to open. I have a service appointment next week, so we'll see what they come up with.