Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Owner question 2 : external cameras

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve been fascinated by the way that my M3P picked up everything around the car (even wheelie bins!) whilst I’m driving around. However, I’ve noticed that the detection of oncoming traffic is very random especially if there are a number of cars approaching.

is this something that will settle down or is there an issue?

(I’ve had the car 4 days now and driven for nearly 200 miles)

Its a visualisation. Car sees far more than it bothers to display. Don't worry about it, even dancing cars. But a big software update due 'soon' which will fuse the outputs from all cameras to give a more coherent view rather than using one camera at a time to get its view so it should improve.

Reactions: pow216 and Keithmt
What I find most disappointing about the visualisation is that on a motorway or dual carriageway it doesn’t show cars approaching from behind until they are almost level with your car. In other words there’s no blind spot warning. The B pillars on the M3 are really thick so some visualisation while overtaking would be very useful.

Artiste I agree that visualisation of cars coming from behind is poor. On the other hand, I don’t think that looking at the screen is the right thing to be doing when overtaking! We should be looking in the mirrors. Unfortunately they don’t move out far enough, or have enough curvature, to avoid a big blind spot. My previous car had warning lights in line with the mirrors if there was a car in the blind spot - and it managed to do this without the benefit of cameras. Why not Tesla? Of course, blind spot visualisation won’t be needed with FSD!!!