Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Owner Question. Home charging limited to 12amps?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got a Tesla home charger installed for my Model 3 (few weeks old). The electrician and I settled on bringing in 30 amps to the charger. However, when it is charging, it says that I am limited to 12 amps and I'm unable to configure it to bring in more. Shouldnt I be able to configure it to bring in more than 12amps? Any idea what's wrong?
GOVFxvi.png

3WDUSv6.png

I see that the voltage is 231 volts. So you are not using a regular household outlet. What kind of outlet are you using? If it is NEMA 14-50, the car has detected instability in the line and reduced the amperage. Try unplugging and plugging again and see if it starts at a higher amperage and then goes down.

Oh on second reading, I think you may be using the Tesla wall connector. I don't have one, but I understand that there are dip switches in the charger to set the amperage. Perhaps someone else can comment or its manual may have some information.

Page 21 in the following pdf.

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...nstallation_manual_80A_en_US.pdf?201612081439

found on this page Model S/X/3 Wall Connector

Last edited:
Are you saying that you installed a Tesla Walll Connector? If that is what you are using, the problem is that the electrician did not set the amperage correctly in the Wall Connector (the same thing happened to me). Take a look at the manual for the wall connector. There is a little dial inside it that specifies what the amperage is of the circuit you are using. It defaults to “1” which is 15A (of which 80% is usable, hence the 12A). You need to set it to 30A which will give you 24A of charging, or double what you get now. You can do this yourself if you’d like (I did).

If you want to do so, first of all make sure that you shut off the circuit breaker to the Wall Connector.

Then, you need to remove the outer case of the Wall Connector. This requires a Torx security screwdriver (read the manual to see which size you need ... I think it was a “20”). Once inside, just use a small flat-head screwdriver to change the setting.

Or you could just ask your electrician to come back and adjust it.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and Need
Fantastic, guys. I did install the Tesla Wall Connector (thanks for deducing that) and I believe that is the issue. Electrician said this might need configuration so this should be an easy fix. Thanks for the help. Pretty sure that solved my problem!

Confirmed. That did it. Thanks again ronm2948 and Blue_Model_S

Just make sure that whatever you set it to that the backing wire and circuit breaker are of sufficient ampacity. (not to mention the load calculations for the feeder/service - presumably the electrician only wanted to do a 30a circuit since you otherwise have limitations to your electrical service that would keep you from doing more?)