Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Owner Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just ordered my Model X. July delivery date. My question is on charging. I have read much on this site but why would you not just set the charging % to 100% and leave it there all the time? Why would you want to limit charge to say 90%?

A 100% or Range Charge has a few issues.
At the extremes of charge there is deposition on the electrodes and chemical chages which reduces the batteries effectiveness. Watch "Why do Li-ion Batteries die ?..."
A good charge controller can minimize this problem by monitoring individual cells and not overcharging some while still charging others. This is why you can charge 80% of the battery in 40 minutes but need 35 more minutes to get to 100%
Screen Shot 2016-06-15 at 10.11.52 AM.jpg
The worry is that using 100% charge all the time will reduce the range available from the battery faster than not. The degredation is going to happen anyway. When batteries are reported as have N cycles those are full charge/discharge cycles; avoiding those extremes can allow a good battery last a very long time.
An iphone does not let you actually charge to 100%, it leaves a buffer at the top; a dumb but effective charge controller. There is rumor that a software limited Tesla 60kWh battery is similarly limited at the top of the capacity so 100% is not really 100%. So while the interface would look the same the risk of 100% would not be an issue.

Reports here suggest batteries lose a bit of range early and then very slowly lose more range over time regardless of the max charge setting. There are threads here about using a near-zero drain followed by a charge will 100% to recalibrate the rated miles calculator but that is not doing anything to “fix” the battery degredation.

Tesla recommends daily charging in the 50%-90% range and charging only to 100% if you really need the range before your next charging opportunity. 95% is probably ok, too. They also recommend only charging as much as you need to before your next Supercharge if you are on a trip so most recharging happens in the low-charge/fast-recharge zone. Spending time charging that last few percent overnight in your garage may not be burdensom but waiting at a supercharger to find a home for those last few electrons is often a big waste of time.

Another way to ask the question is Why not charge to 90%? Only good reason is that you really need that last bit of range for your next leg.

BTW did you use a discount code for your recent order? It’s not too late ;-)

Another, albeit minor, issue is that you are regen limited when you charge to 100%, just like you are when you car has been in cold weather (Floridians may not know what I am talking about here :)). So your car will get worse mileage as it can't easily charge when coasting/braking.

Just ordered my Model X. July delivery date. My question is on charging. I have read much on this site but why would you not just set the charging % to 100% and leave it there all the time? Why would you want to limit charge to say 90%?
I have a non battery response/question for you. You say you ordered today and have a July delivery. Do you actually have a July delivery date? Or did the design center say it would be delivered in July? The reason I ask is I ordered may 22, and don't have a vin or delivery date yet (my design center said July delivery, but I'm starting to think that's not going to happen).

Sorry if this should be in the delivery thread.

A 100% or Range Charge has a few issues.
At the extremes of charge there is deposition on the electrodes and chemical chages which reduces the batteries effectiveness. Watch "Why do Li-ion Batteries die ?..."
A good charge controller can minimize this problem by monitoring individual cells and not overcharging some while still charging others. This is why you can charge 80% of the battery in 40 minutes but need 35 more minutes to get to 100%
View attachment 180962
The worry is that using 100% charge all the time will reduce the range available from the battery faster than not. The degredation is going to happen anyway. When batteries are reported as have N cycles those are full charge/discharge cycles; avoiding those extremes can allow a good battery last a very long time.
An iphone does not let you actually charge to 100%, it leaves a buffer at the top; a dumb but effective charge controller. There is rumor that a software limited Tesla 60kWh battery is similarly limited at the top of the capacity so 100% is not really 100%. So while the interface would look the same the risk of 100% would not be an issue.

Reports here suggest batteries lose a bit of range early and then very slowly lose more range over time regardless of the max charge setting. There are threads here about using a near-zero drain followed by a charge will 100% to recalibrate the rated miles calculator but that is not doing anything to “fix” the battery degredation.

Tesla recommends daily charging in the 50%-90% range and charging only to 100% if you really need the range before your next charging opportunity. 95% is probably ok, too. They also recommend only charging as much as you need to before your next Supercharge if you are on a trip so most recharging happens in the low-charge/fast-recharge zone. Spending time charging that last few percent overnight in your garage may not be burdensom but waiting at a supercharger to find a home for those last few electrons is often a big waste of time.

Another way to ask the question is Why not charge to 90%? Only good reason is that you really need that last bit of range for your next leg.

BTW did you use a discount code for your recent order? It’s not too late ;-)

Thank you! BTW.. What is a discount code? I know nothing about this.

I have a non battery response/question for you. You say you ordered today and have a July delivery. Do you actually have a July delivery date? Or did the design center say it would be delivered in July? The reason I ask is I ordered may 22, and don't have a vin or delivery date yet (my design center said July delivery, but I'm starting to think that's not going to happen).

Sorry if this should be in the delivery thread.

The design center told me July. How would you know if you have a VIN yet?