Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New owner questions (Condensation/hard latch/Software)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi
Very new Model 3 owner (LR) and picked up the car couple of weeks ago and have service scheduled for Feb 13 for delivery paint issues..
I was planning to add the following to the appointment and wanted to know if these are expected issues or something I should be getting addressed?

1. The frunk and trunk latch dont latch on easy.. I have to band the trunk hard and put half my weight on the frunk.. I can almost feel the hood body buckle every time (and I loose a heartbeat!!) - I plan to get them to add some grease but is this normal?

2. Condensation in fog lights - Noticed this after a perfect Seattle rainy day.. Never seen this in previous cars.. Is condensation in lights a normal occurrence for cars? I imagine when the foglight is turned on it would just dry up right? Should I get this looked at?

3. Software: The car was delivered with: 2019.35.105 and since then it has not notified me of any updates.. I called and they said its all random and in batches.. Is the service center capable of updating my software? Noting wrong with the current software but i would love to see the improved visualization etc..

1a. Normal - The Frunk requires firm steady pressure to close. You can buy a weaker spring on amazon to make it close with little force.
1b - Semi-Normal - The Truck is not soft close. It should require some/medium force to close.

2. I don't have this issue.

3. Make sure your car has access to a wifi access point with a good signal. Updates over cellular are the last to be pushed.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Definitely have all of your concerned looked at by the service center, that's what they do.

For the frunk, try more of a press-and-hold rather than a "bounce" to get it to close.
For the trunk, it sounds like an adjustment is needed. Mine closes pretty easily, and similar to every car I've ever owned (no additional effort)

Condensation in lights is something that does happen in cars in general, but it shouldn't. Have them check it out.

1. the frunk requires "specific" hand positioning to accurately close without hurting the metal. it involves placing your hands in a position where they surround the T Tesla logo and then press straight down until it latches. the frunk is not a drop and lock situation. there are actually videos on how to do this properly. the amazon "weaker" spring solution allows you to close the lid with just a press (not both hands) but still requires you to push down and drop and lock.

2. i have this too, but it doesn't cause me any issues. at least they're not glass....

3. the service center should be able to push you the latest firmware but honestly you're still going to be able to drive and enjoy the car, even if you're not on the latest update. once you're in the rotation, you should receive updates are regularly as your region.

Thank you for #1.. Going to try that out right away.. I tend to place both hands 'around' the T and appy the pressure.. perhaps I need to concentrate the pressure just above the latch and it seem the T is the right place..!!

For #1. Have a look at the manual. It shows proper hand placement and steps to properly close frunk.
2. Haven’t noticed any condensation around any lights so far. Have SC take a look and see if it’s “within specs.”
3. Make sure you’re connected to strong WiFi signal and when you’re in range of the signal go to your car, select software and it should automatically search for updates. I’ve had a few instances where I’m not notified of software updates from the app and have to initiate from the vehicle screen.

Good luck and welcome to TMC.