Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New owner questions for 2017 model

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've recently become an owner of a used Model S 2017. According to my preferences, I've setup the car with:
  • PIN to drive: enabled
  • Auto present door handles: disabled
I thought that with the fob in my pocket there would be a way for me to open the car without having to touch the fob (e.g. I could lightly press the door handles and this would unlock the car), this is how my Nissan Leaf works as there is a small physical button on the door handle. If I want to keep auto present handles disabled, is the only way to enter the car by pressing the unlock button on the fob?

I get there's no traditional start/stop action for the car. But if I've already started the car but then have to quickly get out of the car for a second (e.g. I forgot to grab something from the trunk) then the car turns off. When I get back into the car, the car has turned "off". To turn it back on, I have to unlock the car via the fob or the Tesla app, both of which seem a faff. Just wanted to find out what the best way is in that situation (in summary: car is on, you get out of the driver seat for a moment but do not want the car to turn off).

Press any door handle with the key fob in your pocket and the door handle will come out. Also, just press the brake pedal to start the car after exiting and getting back in or when getting in the first time -as long as you have the key fob in the car.

Reactions: techno
I can confirm that the car does 100% not open with the fob in my pocket when I press the door handles. I think it must be the way I've configured the car:

Walk away door lock: On
Auto present handles: Off
Unlock on park: Off
Driver door unlock mode: Off
Passive entry: Off (this could be the option I need but the name feels a little misleading)
Pin to drive: On

I wasn't keen on trying random combination of options, any help?

Okay, I had a play with the options and Passive Entry was greyed out. Turns out that it cannot be used when Sentry mode is enabled. In fact, simply disabling Sentry mode was not enough, I had to exit the car, lock it, unlock and then Passive Entry was toggleable. Not sure why Passive Entry would be greyed out when Sentry mode is enabled. Seems a bit weird.