Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

new owner questions (Roadster)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New owner here. Technically not even an owner yet as the car has yet to arrive.

Dumb questions here, and I tried really hard to search but ........

Where do I find the locations of Tesla HPC Stations? The iphone app displays ALL stations and I'm looking for Roadster specific HPC's. Especially in Washington State and British Columbia.

Second dumb questions:

In regards to charge rate, correct me if I'm wrong, HPC's are the fastest followed by Level 2 J1772 stuff right?

Third dumb question:

What should I install in my home? I won't be doing the HPC since I'll be switching to Model S sooner or later. I don't drive long distances so technically the 120V will do the job but I'd like to get some sort of 240 in there. But all those NEMA things confuses me.

Four dumb question:

Is there a thread on people pimping their ride? I bought a silver one and its kinda plain. So I want to add small minor decals in there to touch things up. Nothing permanent, nothing super expensive.

Thanks.

NWhere do I find the locations of Tesla HPC Stations?
Not the ultimate/best source, but here is one place to start:
plugs1.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

In regards to charge rate, correct me if I'm wrong, HPC's are the fastest followed by Level 2 J1772 stuff right?
Not exactly. In theory, both have similar capability (240V, ~16 to 70A depending on wiring, breaker, settings.)
In practice they likely wouldn't have bothered putting in an HPC unless they planned to offer higher current (64A / 70A), whereas most J1772 you find are usually 30A.
So, finding a Tesla HPC on a Road trip could get you ~twice as fast charging in many cases.
In California there are some HPCs that have had the Tesla plug removed and replaced by a J1772 plug.
You can get an adapter (cable from Tesla or 'can' converter from HCsharp) to allow J1772 to interface to the Roadster socket.

- - - Updated - - -

What should I install in my home? I won't be doing the HPC since I'll be switching to Model S sooner or later. I don't drive long distances so technically the 120V will do the job but I'd like to get some sort of 240 in there. But all those NEMA things confuses me.

Yes, second the suggestion that the NEMA14-50 is the recommended/preferred socket type if you want to use a UMC (mobile connector) to charge your Roadster or Model S.
(The Roadster and Model S mobile charge connectors are different pieces of hardware, but both offer NEMA14-50 plugs)
If you had an existing 240V dryer/oven/welder socket of a different NEMA type there is likely an adapter available to use it if needed.

New owner here. Technically not even an owner yet as the car has yet to arrive.

Dumb questions here, and I tried really hard to search but ........

Where do I find the locations of Tesla HPC Stations? The iphone app displays ALL stations and I'm looking for Roadster specific HPC's. Especially in Washington State and British Columbia.

Second dumb questions:

Third dumb question:

Four dumb question:

Is there a thread on people pimping their ride? I bought a silver one and its kinda plain. So I want to add small minor decals in there to touch things up. Nothing permanent, nothing super expensive.

Thanks.

You should install a Nema 14-50 outlet as you can utilize this with both your future Model S and your current Roadster. 120V is useless for Tesla Vehicles.

There are Tesla Decals available for a few hundred dollars, you could also do the Xenon bulb upgrade for <$100.

Vinyl TESLA Side Decals Made To Order (Any Color!)

Xenon HID upgrade

There are vinyl wraps... big TESLA word logos along the lower edge of the doors. A (T) logo for the fender. 'Racing stripes' down the top of the car.
Sometimes we see full wraps with custom colors like flat black, or company logos. I have seen someone chrome their wheels.
Oh yeah, a whole lot of discussion about carbon fiber replacement parts. Door sills, dashboard covers, hood vents, rear spoiler, diffuser, air dam, etc.
Someday soon I expect we will see a Roadster that is entirely carbon fiber similar to the look of the rollbar hoop.

Which Roadster did you buy? Pictures?

Last edited:
Thanks Bonnie, that's exactly what I was looking for. For some reason, I just couldn't find any Tesla HPC ones.

I guess I'm going with the NEMA 14-50 outlet. Thanks guys.

I bought a 2008 VP #32. I think I got a good price for it so I'm happy. I'm looking into financing right now. But I can always just pay him directly if the financing process gets annoying.

I'm always looking into a shipping company. I've bought cars from out of state before, they all seems to be fine except the cars always arrive dirty as heck. I may look into a cover or a enclosed shipper for this baby.

Thanks for all the info. Its funny, I just received a "build your model s" email today. I'm going to keep on deferring it until a)they build a super charger in washington or b)i'm bored of the roadster (which I doubt).

Tomsax maintains a PNW Roadster owner mailing list; you can PM him if you'd like to join.

Last time I shipped a car, it was just under $600 to get it here from Utah. I used 360autotransport and was pretty happy. But yeah, it arrived really dirty. I think covered transport was another $400. Somebody is having DAS pick up my old RAV4-EV tomorrow; I think the bill to get that to LA was just under $600. He says he's used DAS before and been happy.

Now that I have the Roadster for a couple hundred miles, here are some more questions:

1. I'm trying really hard to drive like a granny but the ideal range and estimated range differs by 40 miles. At this rate I'm afraid to take a long road trip. Is this typical?

2. My JVC unit has the iPod connector but it won't charge it (it plays songs from it though), is that normal?

3. I ordered an European spec convex side mirror from tesla to cut down on blind spot, anyone has experience with this?

Thanks.

Jack

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Now that I have the Roadster for a couple hundred miles, here are some more questions:

1. I'm trying really hard to drive like a granny but the ideal range and estimated range differs by 40 miles. At this rate I'm afraid to take a long road trip. Is this typical?

2. My JVC unit has the iPod connector but it won't charge it (it plays songs from it though), is that normal?

3. I ordered an European spec convex side mirror from tesla to cut down on blind spot, anyone has experience with this?

Thanks.

Jack

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

1. The cells may be out of balance, I would suggest doing a range mode charge and a test run over a few days; this will allow you to see what your full range potential may be. The estimated range (cluster) is the guide that you will want to use.

2. iPod Charging Adapter for iPhone and the new iPod

If you take a long trip, it will involve cruising and freeway stretches that you won't get to do on short trips. If you believe your range meter (and remember to allow an extra 4 miles for every 1000 feet of elevation) you'll be just fine.