Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Owner Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It saves everything to a profile, make sure you’re saving it to both the easy entry and your regular driving profiles

Hi @Mr H , thanks for your prompt answer, which made sense. However, it seems that (on my vehicle at least) the dome light setting isn't part of the saved profile. I've created a YouTube video demonstrating what's happening - hopefully you will see it below.

EDIT - I removed this post originally as I'd also put my question on a thread specific to Dome Lights and was going to move it there. Now decided to keep it where it was o_O

UPDATE - See below - doing a proper hard reboot resolved my issue :D

Last edited:
@WannabeOwner & @Mr H

PROBLEM SOLVED!

I had previously done a hard reboot by holding the brake pedal and the steering wheel buttons and releasing them as soon as the screen went black. Reviewing the process, I should have continued to hold the brake and buttons until the logo appeared :rolleyes:

I've now completed a proper hard reboot and the setting sticks \o/

Thanks for your help

Glad it is fixed :) ... also confirms that Plus-Brake hard-reset is not a myth ...

Well, it confirms that you hold the buttons until the Tesla logo comes up but not necessarily the brake ... it may have worked that way too ...or maybe it's just because you need to do multiple resets ... or who knows! I think this comes within the same category as sacrificing chickens that has been around for resolving various computer issues over the years!

• Funny
Reactions: Cwmwd
@WannabeOwner, @Adopado

I just got back in the car and the flippin' dome light setting was back to off again!

I put it back on auto, got out (car locked) and went back about 10 mins later, this time they were still on auto - seems to be a bit intermittent even after a hard reboot o_O

I have also noted that, when the dome lights reset, it coincides with the YouTube app auto launching when the drivers door is unlocked/opened - which is also super annoying.

UPDATE - I think the YouTube app auto loading is connected to my dome light auto/off issue. The first lock/unlock works fine; dome lights come on, touchscreen on normal view. The second lock/unlock loads YouTube on the touchscreen and resets the dome lights.

I've scheduled a service, earliest available is 27th April so I guess I'll just have to put up with it unless anyone has any other ideas for a fix.

Last edited:
Pressing the brake does nothing. A soft reboot is done using the steering wheel buttons. A hard reboot is on the screen- factory reset.

it’s a good job the software isn’t by Microsoft, imagine rebooting 6 times a day.

@Cyborg68 have you tried the factory reset??

@WannabeOwner & @Mr H

SOLVED (again) - I think

I believe I have got to the bottom of this (be prepared for an update saying I haven't but tests so far seem to indicate I have fixed it)...

I have been entering the car using my phone as the key (as per the video I posted). It occurred to me that I should see if I got the same behaviour using the keycard instead so I removed my phone key from the car settings and tested the keycard multiple times. Each time I locked/unlocked the car, the dome lights came on and the touchscreen started in 'normal' mode - so the problem was completely eliminated.

I then restarted my phone (just in case there was any cached data in the Tesla app), then re-added my phone as a key and saved it to my driving profile. Since then I've done a number of lock/unlock tests and the previous issue has NOT re-occurred.

I can't remember if I ever saved my phone as a key to my driving profile so the process I went through may have been resolved by just doing that! In any event I'm glad that it is (for the time-being) playing ball :D:cool:o_O

I've heard loads of info from Tesla staff thats codswallop. Why may that information is any different? Most of the time they just say what they think people want to hear.

How to reboot your Tesla if something is going wrong

Tesla Roadside Assistance often will go through these reset guides when you call so to save them time it often is worth trying these before giving them a call.

I'm not saying that this advice is any more reliable. But its a fairly reliable source that has been published for long enough for it to have been rebuffed if wrong.

And I believe it as I have first hand experience of witnessing different behaviour when I used the brake - not every time but I am sure more than just coincidence.

I have first hand experience of witnessing different behaviour when I used the brake

I too have heard different "noises" ...

I think it would be better to give the advice "and press brake and hold until logo seen" because it does no harm and might well do "a bit more". My only thought is that foot-on-brake means the car won't move during the process. I can't see that being in Park is any different ... and I can take my foot off brake / car out of park during the process ... but ...

The other thing I find weird is reports that a full reboot sorts stuff out after a software update, given that I am also reliably informed :rolleyes: that software update does a hard reset at the end. So there may well be something in "another reboot, later, is a cure", but as a software bod I'm struggling to see how that can be. If I mow my lawn twice it definitely looks smarter, but rebooting my computer twice? Nah ... it looks just the same ...

@WannabeOwner & @Mr H

SOLVED (again) - I think

I believe I have got to the bottom of this (be prepared for an update saying I haven't but tests so far seem to indicate I have fixed it)...

I have been entering the car using my phone as the key (as per the video I posted). It occurred to me that I should see if I got the same behaviour using the keycard instead so I removed my phone key from the car settings and tested the keycard multiple times. Each time I locked/unlocked the car, the dome lights came on and the touchscreen started in 'normal' mode - so the problem was completely eliminated.

I then restarted my phone (just in case there was any cached data in the Tesla app), then re-added my phone as a key and saved it to my driving profile. Since then I've done a number of lock/unlock tests and the previous issue has NOT re-occurred.

I can't remember if I ever saved my phone as a key to my driving profile so the process I went through may have been resolved by just doing that! In any event I'm glad that it is (for the time-being) playing ball :D:cool:o_O

UPDATE:
Well my issue came back!

Didn't seem to be related to anything in particular (previously quoted lock/unlock and phone as key, but since noted it happens on door opens, not necessarily lock/unlock). It behaves for a few door opens but eventually the YouTube app auto-launches when a door is opened and that's when the Dome Lights reset to OFF.

I did a hard reboot, followed by a full power down but it didn't make any difference.

I felt I had no other option than to take the advice of @Mr H and perform a factory reset. Since then the problem hasn't reoccurred
(I'm not holding my breath though)

Reactions: Mr H
Worth removing any USB devices when doing a reset. USB has been known to prevent some systems resetting normally - black rear camera being the classic where sentry apparently failed to relinquish the camera in a timely manner.

Shame the link to the Tesla owners group website you linked to earlier doesn't mention that. Sadly I find their guides increasingly out of date.

@WannabeOwner, @Adopado

I just got back in the car and the flippin' dome light setting was back to off again!

I put it back on auto, got out (car locked) and went back about 10 mins later, this time they were still on auto - seems to be a bit intermittent even after a hard reboot o_O

I have also noted that, when the dome lights reset, it coincides with the YouTube app auto launching when the drivers door is unlocked/opened - which is also super annoying.

UPDATE - I think the YouTube app auto loading is connected to my dome light auto/off issue. The first lock/unlock works fine; dome lights come on, touchscreen on normal view. The second lock/unlock loads YouTube on the touchscreen and resets the dome lights.

I've scheduled a service, earliest available is 27th April so I guess I'll just have to put up with it unless anyone has any other ideas for a fix.

Just a thought, but around v10, the way things were saved got changed. Don't know what firmware you have, but it seems to be a bit of a mix and match at present.

It use to be that settings wouldn't auto save but had to be saved manually. iirc there was a save profile setting under your name at top of screen. May be worth giving that a check out if you have not already done so.

Re your request for having Sentry Mode come on at specific times, if you have an iPhone, you can use the Shortcuts app to schedule API calls to set and unset Sentry Mode at various times. I park my car on the driveway but have Sentry turned off at home. However at 8pm i want Sentry to turn on so the Shortcut runs and first wakes the car (assumes it is asleep) and then after 15 seconds enables Sentry Mode). Similarly in the morning (I have it set to 30 minutes after sunrise), it turns Sentry Mode off.

This can be a little flakey sometimes but its better than having to remember to turn it on and off at set times!