Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New owner quick q's

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all! New S owner. Would love if someone answers a couple quick and likely easy questions:

How does one scroll through XM favorites using yoke controls?

How do I let my boy use screen in back with headphones while I listen to radio?

How do I set follow distance to "1"?

Will self-driving improve as I use it (eg, stop breaking when there is no danger, never miss exits, etc.)?

How do I get a more obvious alert that it needs me to move yoke (I'm looking at road, not dash)?

Certainly hope there are good answers to the q's. Not feeling awesome about my purchase yet!

Thank you all!

Reactions: dmurphy
Hello all! New S owner. Would love if someone answers a couple quick and likely easy questions:

How does one scroll through XM favorites using yoke controls?

How do I let my boy use screen in back with headphones while I listen to radio?

How do I set follow distance to "1"?

Will self-driving improve as I use it (eg, stop breaking when there is no danger, never miss exits, etc.)?

How do I get a more obvious alert that it needs me to move yoke (I'm looking at road, not dash)?

Certainly hope there are good answers to the q's. Not feeling awesome about my purchase yet!

Thank you all!

Great questions!

1 - XM Favorites - use left-right buttons on the yoke while the media player is set to "Recent/Favorites". This is a personal pet peeve of mine, I *hate* that recent and favorites are combined and intermixed. It's a horrible interface.

2 - You don't, at least not yet. I'm hopeful they add Bluetooth headphones to the software interface soon.

3 - You don't -- 2 is the new minimum with the vision-based Autopilot system.

4 - It will improve over time, yes. Autopilot itself is about to get a "big bang" software update when they integrate FSD software + Autopilot software together. The current highway Autopilot software is ~5 years old. I expect a HUGE difference once FSD-for-highways arrives.

5 - You don't. Sometimes it's audible, sometimes it's that silly white pulsing bar.

All that said, you should feel AWESOME about your purchase! These are probably 3 or 4 of my top 5 complaints about Teslas cars -- none of them are unique to the S.... and almost all of them are fixable with software, which is great.

It's a constantly evolving beast. From the time I bought my first Tesla in 2019 until now, they've evolved so so much! Heck, that 2019 couldn't even do one pedal driving when it launched ... hard to remember that.

Upvote 0
Great questions!

1 - XM Favorites - use left-right buttons on the yoke while the media player is set to "Recent/Favorites". This is a personal pet peeve of mine, I *hate* that recent and favorites are combined and intermixed. It's a horrible interface.

2 - You don't, at least not yet. I'm hopeful they add Bluetooth headphones to the software interface soon.

4 - It will improve over time, yes. Autopilot itself is about to get a "big bang" software update when they integrate FSD software + Autopilot software together. The current highway Autopilot software is ~5 years old. I expect a HUGE difference once FSD-for-highways arrives.

5 - You don't. Sometimes it's audible, sometimes it's that silly white pulsing bar.

All that said, you should feel AWESOME about your purchase! These are probably 3 or 4 of my top 5 complaints about Teslas cars -- none of them are unique to the S.... and almost all of them are fixable with software, which is great.

It's a constantly evolving beast. From the time I bought my first Tesla in 2019 until now, they've evolved so so much! Heck, that 2019 couldn't even do one pedal driving when it launched ... hard to remember that.
Thank you, buddy!

Upvote 0
Great questions!

Regarding 1, are you talking about the turn signal buttons? I'm having no luck with your solution there.

Upvote 0