Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Owner: Range, Charging, Will This Scenario Work?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, ordered the car in the signature, it's being delivered in less than two weeks! I've been doing tons of research, but I wanted to run a specific scenario across this audience, but first a little background.

Background: We did have a Gen2 Prius, but this is our first pure-EV. We also have a 2016 Volvo XC90 R-Design, loaded out, non-plug-in version. This is our family hauler, Costco-runner, Home Depot-champion, etc. We also typically drive this car from Austin to Houston a handful of times a year as that's where my in-laws live. More on that later... For the Tesla, my wife's employer has free charging, and I'm putting a 240V-30A connection in my garage (my sub is only 50A service). Additionally, Austin's ChargePoint deal is pretty awesome, and coupled with my wife's company having free charging, I literally do not expect we'll have to charge this vehicle on our dime very often. Between both of our vehicles, we drive only 15-16K miles per year combined, and my wife's office is only ~5 miles away. So that's the back story.

Specific Scenario: My wife's family lives 169 miles door-to-door away in Houston. Factor in that the car would likely drive from my wife's office fully charged, home, and then we'd go, let's say it's 180 miles from charge to arriving in Houston. It's typical highway driving, speeds range from 65-80 mph with Texas Troopers aplenty; we typically cruise control at 4mph over. Historically, we've gotten reasonable gas mileage similar to highway estimates for all of our ICE cars. It's relatively flat, not much traffic and is a pretty ideal travel situation. We typically leave early evening on Friday and arrive around 8pm. We then depart Sunday around lunch time, let's just call it noon for averaging sakes. We don't usually drive much when we're there, but occasionally we might put 20-40 miles of city driving on a car before departing on Sunday. My in-laws only have 120V charging, probably 15A or possibly 20A service in their garage. The home was built in 2005, but regardless it's 120V. There is a 240V clothes drier in a hallway adjacent to the garage, but I'd prefer not to have to use that because my mother-in-law frequently washes clothes on the weekend and my in-laws are old and probably wouldn't be a huge fan. Additionally, not sure I can fit the cord through the door without leaving the door slightly open which is inadvisable in Texas as it's an non-insulated garage, so mostly this option should be seen as non-viable. You probably know where this is going.

Question 1: The car says it has 310 miles range, I assume that's a lofty target, what is a safe maximum for inter-city highway travel?

Question 2: Assuming 310 isn't a true maximum, let's say 280 is a safer maximum, does my math check out? If we arrive with 100 miles remaining (180 miles of driving thus far), and I immediately plug into 120V, I can expect 3-4 miles per hour of charging. With a total duration there of 40 hours, I would not be able to fully charge the battery, but I might have enough to get the 170 miles return without stopping (100 + 140 charge = 240 new range)?

Sidebar: I assume if we leave for some inner-Houston travel, it's typically to dine or shop where we could easily choose a destination that has higher-speed charging.

How would you guys play this? There are Superchargers on the way, but with a 3 year old, I'm not sure my wife will be a fan of stopping for a semi-extended period of time. More than likely we'll need to make a plan to pickup some high-speed charging in the city in addition to the 120V slow-charge. Absolute worst case, we just take the Volvo, however, getting gas has proven to be an equal hassle, I'd love to be able to do this weekend trip without the need of external charging. Maybe I can use an extension cord and 240V over one of the nights if I can get it to clear the door without much issue, but I need to check which NEMA connector they have and acquire appropriate adapters, extenders, etc.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I do not have the P but have AWD... Going 75 is probably going to deliver closer to 250 in warm weather (you are in Houston so do not really have to worry about freezing weather reduced range). I drive a 230 route with 150 miles at 75mph, 60 at 65mph and the balance in town making stops at my businesses. I leave home at 310 full charge (I have to remember to set this when I do the route), I get to the office charger with 25-35 miles left.

If you are below 130 miles and stop at a supercharger you can get a quick 50-60 miles added range in about 10 minutes. Probably short enough to keep the 3 year old under control. There is nothing requiring you to fill it up while there. The lower the battery charge the more you can get in 10 minutes. This costs $2 (20 cents a minute) - well worth it for the piece of mind (see my other thread about cutting it close and having a highway closed and a 50 mile detour - Range Anxiety how close do you cut it - and have you been bit? )

I live in Austin. I used to drive my Model S 60 to Houston with a 200 mile range. It’s no problem at all. Model 3 will make it with 100 miles to spare.

I’d also reconsider your charging plan. City of Austin will pay 50% for level2 Install. Just have them upgrade the panel at half off. Also electricity is basically free here. My second fridge in the garage costs more to run than the Tesla. I estimate about $15/mo in charging. My install cost was $300-400 and the company I used did all the city paperwork for me.

There is also a supercharger in Colombus so you probably wouldn’t even have to charge at the in-laws. Pull in and top off for $4 and you would be good to go for the weekend. 20 minute charge would be all that’s necessary and I don’t like driving to Houston without stopping to take a leak.

Reactions: Missile Toad
You don’t need to stop for a “semi-extended” period of time. Just stop to go to the restroom at either supercharger (290 or I-10) and in that time you’ll have enough charge to not have to think about range. The extra 40 miles you can get at 120V overnight should even allow you to not stop on the way home, but I can’t imagine not having to stop anyway from Houston to Austin. Don’t try to charge in Houston other than at the house overnight. Few convenient charging locations and too much traffic.

I actually think you have a very healthy margin of error in your planning.

I'd say go for it and adjust based on your experience.

Note that speed is the biggest factor in range - if you want more range, set your cruise lower. You'll lose a few minutes in transit time, but if it saves you from making a special charging trip/stop, it'll be worth it.

Question 1: On average (not optimal) highway driving, I'd say you could get 270m before you start getting dangerously low. But there are so many variables with that, the more conservative the better.

Question 2: Try to plan trips without dipping too much below 20% of your battery. It gives you peace of mind, and if a wrench gets thrown into your works you have a reserve to find an alternative with PlugShare. Use a Supercharger to "top off the tank" for 10-15 minutes. You'd be surprised at how quick it goes. The longer you stay, though, the slower the charge gets (reduces battery stress).

I am seeing 80% of 310mi using my 3 at 80mph.
As my son told me after his first road trip in the 3, "don't bother thinking about charging." The supercharger network is staggering, in-car nav making it even better. I routinely see charge rates of 450+mph at a supercharger. So just a 10min break that you're taking anyway will produce a ton of additional range for you.

The sole behavior change we've made since getting the 3 is a bias toward bio breaks at superchargers. Doesn't always work out, but nor does it need to thanks to the incredible range and pace of charging when you do pull into a supercharger.

110 in your family's garage? 5mph of range...so sure why not tack that on when your 3 is parked in their driveway anyway. But man oh man compared to 450mph, it'll quickly beg the question of "why bother?"

In your use case, if you really want to eliminate the constraint of having to use a supercharger en route, I'd just go get some juice while in Houston since surely there's a supercharger near where you'll be anyway.

I live in Austin. I used to drive my Model S 60 to Houston with a 200 mile range. It’s no problem at all. Model 3 will make it with 100 miles to spare.

I’d also reconsider your charging plan. City of Austin will pay 50% for level2 Install. Just have them upgrade the panel at half off. Also electricity is basically free here. My second fridge in the garage costs more to run than the Tesla. I estimate about $15/mo in charging. My install cost was $300-400 and the company I used did all the city paperwork for me.

There is also a supercharger in Colombus so you probably wouldn’t even have to charge at the in-laws. Pull in and top off for $4 and you would be good to go for the weekend. 20 minute charge would be all that’s necessary and I don’t like driving to Houston without stopping to take a leak.

Thanks for the examples. Power isn't free in CoA, given it's a Co-Op, each bracket costs more and the car basically costs you at the top bracket. While our power is cheaper than California, it's by no means practically free and you may want to consider a more efficient fridge. I think we will plan biobreaks around superchargers and Colombus is a good stop, 2/3 of the way there.

In regards to the Level2 charger, I did see that, but I can basically install my own 14-50 220V next to my sub for free. My main power meter is on the side of the house and my garage is connected on a 50A sub which powers everything in my home except the ACs and a few exterior lights. I wasn't aware the city would pay for a sub-panel retrofit/re-install. Even at 50%, not sure it's needed as I think 30A 14-50 on the existing panel which I can do myself is still better. What do you reckon a new sub-panel and L2 charger would cost, I do know a very good master electrician who just charges $60/hour + materials.

I actually think you have a very healthy margin of error in your planning.

I'd say go for it and adjust based on your experience.

Note that speed is the biggest factor in range - if you want more range, set your cruise lower. You'll lose a few minutes in transit time, but if it saves you from making a special charging trip/stop, it'll be worth it.

Are there good examples, like 60 mph = 310 miles, 80 mph = 270?

I am seeing 80% of 310mi using my 3 at 80mph.
As my son told me after his first road trip in the 3, "don't bother thinking about charging." The supercharger network is staggering, in-car nav making it even better. I routinely see charge rates of 450+mph at a supercharger. So just a 10min break that you're taking anyway will produce a ton of additional range for you.

The sole behavior change we've made since getting the 3 is a bias toward bio breaks at superchargers. Doesn't always work out, but nor does it need to thanks to the incredible range and pace of charging when you do pull into a supercharger.

110 in your family's garage? 5mph of range...so sure why not tack that on when your 3 is parked in their driveway anyway. But man oh man compared to 450mph, it'll quickly beg the question of "why bother?"

In your use case, if you really want to eliminate the constraint of having to use a supercharger en route, I'd just go get some juice while in Houston since surely there's a supercharger near where you'll be anyway.

I guess the hope was that with the supplemental 120V charging, I wouldn't be at the mercy of having to plan a trip, I think I can probably make it and use a supercharger on a bio-break in the event we don't make it.

Last edited:
If you are coming in on 290, stop at the Rudy's Barbecue near Gessner and 290 north side. They just got supercharging a few months ago.

Coming in you'll get like others have said, 50-60 miles in about 10 minutes, then charge at your in-laws, then top off on your way out. EZpezy.

If you are coming in on 290, stop at the Rudy's Barbecue near Gessner and 290 north side. They just got supercharging a few months ago.

Coming in you'll get like others have said, 50-60 miles in about 10 minutes, then charge at your in-laws, then top off on your way out. EZpezy.

Thanks. Given my in-laws are in a Sugar Land, we almost exclusively use 71 to I10.

Last edited:
In regards to the Level2 charger, I did see that, but I can basically install my own 14-50 220V next to my sub for free. My main power meter is on the side of the house and my garage is connected on a 50A sub which powers everything in my home except the ACs and a few exterior lights. I wasn't aware the city would pay for a sub-panel retrofit/re-install. Even at 50%, not sure it's needed as I think 30A 14-50 on the existing panel which I can do myself is still better. What do you reckon a new sub-panel and L2 charger would cost, I do know a very good master electrician who just charges $60/hour + materials.

Unless the home is a rental or you plan on selling soon, go with the Tesla Wall adapter over the plug! It is far more convenient to use - you do not have to fish out your portable charging kit and pack it back up every charge. It is like having your own gas pump in your garage without all the smelly fumes! Even if you cannot give the HPWC a full 100 amps, you can just turn the inside dial down to what you put your breaker at. Nothing is more convenient than just holding the cord near the charge connector and pushing the button and having it open to plug in. Don't worry it will not let you put it in drive with the wall connector still connected.

Unless the home is a rental or you plan on selling soon, go with the Tesla Wall adapter over the plug! It is far more convenient to use - you do not have to fish out your portable charging kit and pack it back up every charge. It is like having your own gas pump in your garage without all the smelly fumes! Even if you cannot give the HPWC a full 100 amps, you can just turn the inside dial down to what you put your breaker at. Nothing is more convenient than just holding the cord near the charge connector and pushing the button and having it open to plug in. Don't worry it will not let you put it in drive with the wall connector still connected.

I thought of that, but in reality, almost all of the charging will be done at my wife's office. I'll give it some more thought for sure.

This chart is always helpful if you want to determine what kind of range you'll get with a specific trim and driving speed.

miles-26-oct-2018.gif

• Helpful
Reactions: jrielley
This chart is always helpful if you want to determine what kind of range you'll get with a specific trim and driving speed.

miles-26-oct-2018.gif
Super helpful. Similar to ICE, 55 definitely seems to be a sweet spot.

What does +/-Aero mean? Edit, I realize that means Aero wheels. Didn’t know Aeros were available on so many Performance trims, so confused by that but similarly amazed they make such a difference.

Last edited: