Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New owner, regen braking on highway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Funny, I have the opposite experience. I WANT the brake light to come on more when I regen on the highway. If I decelerate significantly, but not enough for the brake lights to come on, I get paranoid that the driver behind me is not going to realize I’m slowing down and smash right into me. Especially in bumper to bumper traffic. I sometimes set regen to low during these times, so that I have more control over the brake lights.

I think an option to adjust regen/brake light sensitivity would be extremely beneficial. (BTW I also don’t have TACC ;))

Reactions: Ahzuz
Frankly, I wish there was a regen Off setting for highway cruising.
I'd be in for that as well. AND.... I'd like to have a button to press that also defeats all regen for those times when I'm not using CC, and I'd like to readjust or flex my foot while at speed. There are times now and again when I'd like to lift my foot and NOT bleed more speed than friction dictates. All the other times I'd like a third, heavier setting for regen, please!

Reactions: Ahzuz
How do you guys manage to play with regen braking on highway without having the brake lights always on!?

I mean sometimes I have to let the pedal of the gas to adjust to traffic and I see the third light brake on in the mini model s in the dash.

One of my pet peeve is people always braking on the highway, I don't want to be that guy. Any tips? Or I just need to master it by adjusting my speed well and barely let off the gaz?
The bottom line here is that if you're using regen to slow enough to activate the brake lights, those brake lights should probably be on to alert those who are behind you. If you really don't like having brake lights on, the safest, more comfortable and most efficient solution is to avoid having to slow down so quickly. This means being aware of what's going on further ahead of you, vs reacting to whatever that one car in front of you is doing.

If you're slowing significantly, I know that *I* would like your brake lights to be on if I'm following you. And if you're driving in such a way that you're constantly slowing hard enough on the freeway to activate the brake lights, I'd like you to pay a bit more attention and not need to brake so hard so often. So yeah... I don't want you to be that guy either. And only you can prevent "that-guy-ness."

Hmm... that's sounding more condescending that I intended. But I hope it makes sense.