Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New owner road trip thoughts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Desperately need more tesla chargers out here in the Northern Great Plains For us locals because distances for everyday driving are greater than east and west coasts and for the tourists that provide iincome. I am not driving to Lusk from Nebraska to charge as it is way out of the way. Discovered using ABRP that I can’t visit several state parks in NEB because I can get there but I can’t get back due to lack of charge.
First of all, I agree completely that there are a lot of places in the midwest that are still hard to reach by EV. It is the round trip without charging at the destination that is generally the challenge as one can almost drive an LR Model 3 all the way from I-80 to I-90 on a single charge if driving slowly.
As with most things in those areas, the locals need to take care of themselves since there isn't enough traffic for 3rd parties to be able to do it profitably. RV parks and welding outlets tend to be the best options. Also, keep in mind that a lot of small rural towns have city parks and fairgrounds with RV hookups. Often times, these are not listed anywhere. Sometimes they are only '30-amp' outlets which translates to 120volt, 30 amp TT-30 outlets. Tesla doesn't sell adapters that take full advantage of them but evseadapters.com (TT-30 Adapter for Tesla Model S/X/3/Y Gen 2 – EVSE Adapters) does. It will charge a Model 3 at about 10 mph. Having a bunch of adapters is essential.
As always, PLEASE list anything you find on www.plugshare.com to help open these areas up.
Another tip of the trade: If only slow charging is available, you'll generally get to your destination faster by driving slower. The optimal driving speed is about the 240 volt current. In other words, if you'll be charging on a NEMA 14-50 at an RV park at 40 amps, 40 mph is about your charging speed and your optimum driving speed. If you'll be using a 30 amp J-1772, 30 mph is about your optimum charging and driving speed. Clearly, these speeds are often too slow for practicality so you may spend another hour of time checking out some small town than you would have to.

Yeah I agree, there needs to be more superchargers in remote places off interstates in little towns. There are many interesting places to visit in the USA that are very difficult to access today if you don't want to stay at hotels or campgrounds with L2 charging.
First of all, I agree completely that there are a lot of places in the midwest that are still hard to reach by EV. It is the round trip without charging at the destination that is generally the challenge as one can almost drive an LR Model 3 all the way from I-80 to I-90 on a single charge if driving slowly.
As with most things in those areas, the locals need to take care of themselves since there isn't enough traffic for 3rd parties to be able to do it profitably. RV parks and welding outlets tend to be the best options. Also, keep in mind that a lot of small rural towns have city parks and fairgrounds with RV hookups. Often times, these are not listed anywhere. Sometimes they are only '30-amp' outlets which translates to 120volt, 30 amp TT-30 outlets. Tesla doesn't sell adapters that take full advantage of them but evseadapters.com (TT-30 Adapter for Tesla Model S/X/3/Y Gen 2 – EVSE Adapters) does. It will charge a Model 3 at about 10 mph. Having a bunch of adapters is essential.
As always, PLEASE list anything you find on www.plugshare.com to help open these areas up.
Another tip of the trade: If only slow charging is available, you'll generally get to your destination faster by driving slower. The optimal driving speed is about the 240 volt current. In other words, if you'll be charging on a NEMA 14-50 at an RV park at 40 amps, 40 mph is about your charging speed and your optimum driving speed. If you'll be using a 30 amp J-1772, 30 mph is about your optimum charging and driving speed. Clearly, these speeds are often too slow for practicality so you may spend another hour of time checking out some small town than you would have to.
Thank you so much! I ordered the adapter. Already bought a 15-40. Don’t like the slow charging rate as 20 miles just get you to another wide open space with no electricity but it’s better than nothing. I didn’t know plug share could list city/town parks that have a few RV slots. Still waiting for my X. Maybe July. 5 seater, standard wheels, FSD. Waiting.

I didn’t know plug share could list city/town parks that have a few RV slots.
Plugshare is the EV drivers' website. It is owned by a Dot-Com millionaire who got bit by the EV bug early with an early Roadster. He maintains the site but the info in it is entirely provided by EV drivers. It lists whatever info people provide. You can put your own location in if you find one. Please be honest and check with the owners to see if they mind, then, please be honest and as descriptive as you can to help your fellow EV drivers find places to charge.

Plugshare is the EV drivers' website. It is owned by a Dot-Com millionaire who got bit by the EV bug early with an early Roadster. He maintains the site but the info in it is entirely provided by EV drivers. It lists whatever info people provide. You can put your own location in if you find one. Please be honest and check with the owners to see if they mind, then, please be honest and as descriptive as you can to help your fellow EV drivers find places to charge.

PlugShare/recargo was bought by EVgo last year. Main change I've noticed are the ads that now appear.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Reactions: Prairie