Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Owner Survey

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can someone construct a survey for Model S owners who have received their cars to rate their overall opinion of their cars thus far? Perhaps the survey can be on a scale from 0 to 10, with 0 being "absolutely unacceptable," 5 being "not bad, not great", and 10 being "absolutely ecstatic." Thanks. I have 4 days to finalize and am still on the fence.

Can someone construct a survey for Model S owners who have received their cars to rate their overall opinion of their cars thus far? Perhaps the survey can be on a scale from 0 to 10, with 0 being "absolutely unacceptable," 5 being "not bad, not great", and 10 being "absolutely ecstatic." Thanks. I have 4 days to finalize and am still on the fence.

Yes, this is being spearheaded by Deborah Fowler who is working on behalf of San Francisco-based Grassroots Research. They are independent of Tesla and only interested in Model S owners.

Contact her at [email protected]. She will share her survey results, so it might produce interesting findings for all of us. :cool:

I think the information is all here in the forum, in much more depth than a survey will give you.

15!

Finialize already! You know you want the car...

Car of the year for gosh sakes! Don't second guess yourself. You made the right choice when you laid down your deposit...

I think the information is all here in the forum, in much more depth than a survey will give you.

I've read most of the anecodotal information on this forum, both positive and negative. While the detailed reviews are helpful, there are factors that may skew the overall results in either direction. People who publish their opinions tend to be those who feel strongly one way or the other. A quick and dirty survey, while lacking the detail of a thorough review, can better capture more general information.

15!

Finialize already! You know you want the car...

Car of the year for gosh sakes! Don't second guess yourself. You made the right choice when you laid down your deposit...

You're right. I do want the car! But I'm also the king of second guessing. My main concern is with some of the mechanical issues people have had with the car. I don't mind the occasional minor glitch or inconvenience but I'm very concerned with the seemingly rare occasions in which people have not been able to drive their cars. My job is such that I occasionally get called to respond to an emergency and I simply cannot afford to have an unreliable car. Right now I'm considering placing another reservation (which of course means getting in the back of the reservation line) to give myself more time to evaluate the reliability of the car.

You're right. I do want the car! But I'm also the king of second guessing. My main concern is with some of the mechanical issues people have had with the car. I don't mind the occasional minor glitch or inconvenience but I'm very concerned with the seemingly rare occasions in which people have not been able to drive their cars. My job is such that I occasionally get called to respond to an emergency and I simply cannot afford to have an unreliable car. Right now I'm considering placing another reservation (which of course means getting in the back of the reservation line) to give myself more time to evaluate the reliability of the car.
And you've know of an ICE to be 100% reliable?

I am confused by this post.

First OP request a poll, (which I thought they could create themselves?)

The the next message, seemingly related, or not?, from Lynn005 ... is this survey for you or Ms. Fowler?

This is a silly request. Imagine it was honored and the number was 7.2. What exactly are you going to compare it to? What if it was 9.2? 8.5? Asking people with a vested interest in defending their past monetary decisions makes it impossible to value the data on anything in say the top 1/3rd, and I can guarantee you that the number will be in the top 3rd of whatever scale you suggest.

Why don't you define your passion for considering the vehicle on a 1-10. If it is under 9, move along.

I've read most of the anecodotal information on this forum, both positive and negative. While the detailed reviews are helpful, there are factors that may skew the overall results in either direction. People who publish their opinions tend to be those who feel strongly one way or the other. A quick and dirty survey, while lacking the detail of a thorough review, can better capture more general information.

The fact you're on a car forum says the results will be skewed, since most of the general population is not represented here. You have a higher cross-section of people who are interested in design/dynamics/etc. At the end of the day, you have to make the decision for yourself and not rely on a survey on a car forum.

Remember, too, that the reports you are hearing reported of major issues are also not a representative sample.* For example, I haven't bothered to post (until now, I suppose) that I have had absolutely no problems with my Model S more severe than the charge-port cover not locking shut all the time. This car has had, by a large margin, the fewest out-of-the-box issues of any car I've owned (Audi, BMW, VW, Toyota). Given that there are far fewer moving parts in an EV, they are intrinsically more reliable than ICEs.

* And I remain concerned that not all the reports of severe issues being posted are genuine. When I see a new member suddenly crop up with a poorly written report of severe issues and poor performance, I give this report far less weight than issues reported by an established TMC poster such as @vger.

Although I am not as cynical as Robert.Boston I must say that user error, expectations, design decisions, and a few production flaws are over sensationalized. This is however the reality of 2012 and the Internet age. I love my Model S but would caution any buyer that it is different to own and operate than a traditional car. The learning curve is easy. Plug it in every night and drive. Call Tesla with any problems.

I gave my nephew a used Passat with written detailed instructions to incentivize him to get his driver's license. Three months later and he has no license yet and the car's battery is dead because he let the car sit for too long. Cars all need care.

I think it's perfectly reasonable to wait to make your decision until you are comfortable making it. You are the one who has to live with your decision, so make it when you feel it is right.

* And I remain concerned that not all the reports of severe issues being posted are genuine. When I see a new member suddenly crop up with a poorly written report of severe issues and poor performance, I give this report far less weight than issues reported by an established TMC poster such as @vger.
Fair comment, but consider that the "established posters" are about to be overwhelmingly outnumbered by new owners. 2K/mo. ain't chicken feed. In fact, it's about 8X the total owners before Nov. '12. Each month, cumulative!

We ain't seen nothin' yet. Or at least not very much, 'relatively speaking'.

Grassroots Reports' Model S research survey results

I received today a copy of the Grassroots Research report on the model S for which a handful of us were interviewed (50 owners). I am reaching out to the author to determine to what extent I can share the contents publcly. The results were impressive with the mode of the satisfaction on several points a 10 (on 1-10 scale) in 5 out of 7 areas, and 8 on the other 2.

You may be able to obtain the report if you are a subscriber to their research.

If I receive some permission to share the content publicly, I'll post it in this thread.