Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New owner thinking of trade - need some perspective

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

nameof3

Jun 30, 2020
PA
Backstory:
I took delivery of an inventory LR AWD Model 3 on June 24th. Despite my delivery checklist I took the car home with issues. Miraculously all contact with the delivery center and the corp. advisors have disappeared. Nearest SC is at least pretty cool and trying to help.

Issues / Rant:
Took this home and realized after some angry people flipping me off on the 52 mile drive home that the passenger taillight / signal were out. Discovered that the wiring harness was never plugged in. I plugged in the wiring harness and all good. Scary but all good. Next, to the body. The passenger rocker panel had a factory mishap and needs re-finish, re-paint. Frunk needs partial repaint. Front bumper, front passenger fender, front passenger headlight badly misaligned. This is not me being overly critical, these are items the SC agreed to pay for a body shop to fix.

Body Shop Results:
Panel alignment is much better, paint is much better, but new problems have been introduced. Now the front parking sensors are not flush, inner front fender liner sticking out and a rattle ( new) if going > 40mph. I understand this part of the saga is not directly Tesla's fault.

Somebody set me straight:
I am thinking of trading the car on a Y ( prob way worse quality) or a "different" 3 that somehow is less flawed. Should I stop my whining and let Tesla make it right on the current vehicle? I'm not the first and won't be the last to say, the only time I've come close to this kind of spending is my house. I guess I set my expectations too high and just have to deal with it? To be fair; yes I could have refused delivery, yes I did read the forums and kind of knew this happened with Tesla's. I was naive and thought by a build date of 3/2020 they would have figured out QC on the model 3. Anyway, I am an investor and believe in the company and even after a less than perfect 2 weeks with the model 3 I do not want to drive anything other than a Tesla. If nothing else it felt cathartic to type this out. If anyone has advice or just wants to flame me, I'm open to it all. Thanks

You're outside of your return window so that option is out... and you'll take a huge hit on trade-in value because it's a used car now. I'd just get the issues fixed which it seems you're working on and try to enjoy the car.

The Model Y will have all sorts of fun body panel issues and stuff, ours does. The Y is a fun car but not worth the loss in trade-in value on your brand new 3 just yet. I'd wait until later this year or next when the value of your 3 isn't in the dumps like all used cars right now.

Keep on scheduling appts/mobile repairs until it's right, it's not like you're 2yrs in on this and trying to get issues taken care of so Tesla should be fixing this stuff for you. Good luck!

Thanks. I know that the trade-in is a silly knee-jerk reaction but as you can understand, it's frustrating and sometimes difficult to arrange body shop and SC visits between, work, small children, etc. It would be easier to write some of this stuff off as "quirks" but not for ~$50k :p

Thanks. I know that the trade-in is a silly knee-jerk reaction but as you can understand, it's frustrating and sometimes difficult to arrange body shop and SC visits between, work, small children, etc. It would be easier to write some of this stuff off as "quirks" but not for ~$50k :p

Agreed it’s beyond frustrating but that’s why you need to kick the can to Tesla to take care of it and make them fix it. Get them to give you the proper rental car while they move your car from the body shop to the service center.

Keep it up! You’ll get there

Are the ultrasonic sensors supposed to be completely flush? Mine have all been recessed just a little bit, not a lot, maybe one or two millimeters, but I kinda thought that was just how they were designed...

I like how the guys that did my vinyl wrap didn't cut them out so they are basically invisible on my car and still function properly

Just stick with what you have at this point. You can have the stuff on the front readjusted. Its not worth the loss in value to swap out.

Also there is no front to back adjustment for the sensors to the bumper face. Its all preset in that clip.