Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New owner, three small questions, maybe someone knows.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1. I set my Homelink for the garage door. It worked when tested, but now it doesn't seem to transmit. I push the "button" and the little waves animation doesn't come on anymore. I assume that means it's not sending a signal.

2. What does the little black Tesla icon at the top left of the traffic/objects display mean? I see mine turning on and off as I drive.

3. Why doesn't my car always open when I'm close with the phone? It work about 80 - 90% of the time, but sometimes it tells me to use the card instead.

Thanks.

#1 the waves should display when you press to indicate its sending a signal. I have a sporadic issue where I see the waves when I press but the door does not respond.

#2 is probably the symbol of the steering wheel indicating autosteer can be enabled.

#3 mine works about 98% of the time. When it doesn't work, cycle airplane mode and also make sure the app is on the model 3, not a different tesla vehicle if you have multiple. I've seen cases where my trunk opens fine but then when I walk to a door literally 5 seconds later, it won't unlock.

1. Don’t know. Mine works.

2. Can’t think what you’re referring to.

3. If you turn off Bluetooth, then turn it back on that should fix your issue. Get into the habit of doing that after OTA updates and when you haven’t accessed the car for a day or more and that should get you to about 99% phone woorking.

See all the threads complaing about the phone app. Search for "fob" because we need one if they can't get the phone to work reliably. I started a thread "my phone works 100% of the time and it is a". Most responses area $999 I-phone X

I had a similar Homelink issue on my X that was fixed by deleting my personal profile in the car (not Homelink) and recreating it. Could have been coincidence, who knows. Something to try.

On number 2, yeah, got me also. What ‘Tesla Logo’? Perhaps a photo would help? Only real Tesla logo is the one that has the release notes, etc behind it. The AP Steering Wheel should be obvious and is nothing like the logo, really. :D

2. What does the little black Tesla icon at the top left of the traffic/objects display mean? I see mine turning on and off as I drive.
If it is the one on the left hand of the screen near the speed information, it is the one indicating that Autopilot is off, available, or on.

3. Why doesn't my car always open when I'm close with the phone? It work about 80 - 90% of the time, but sometimes it tells me to use the card instead.
You may want to make sure that the phone is not asleep and/or that app is running and has focus,

Thanks.

Thanks for the answers.

1. OK, this is weird suddenly today my Homelink is working??? MysteryLink might be a better name for it.

2. I feel stupid. The "Tesla" symbol is, in fact, a steering wheel like someone above said, so it's Autopilot GO/NO GO status. Guess I didn't look close enough. Thanks.

3. Finally, the phone lock is still a bit weird. Apparently, it's dropping the Bluetooth connection to the car from time to time. If I actually, open the app and tell it to unlock the car it works 100% of the time, but to actually drive the car, I had to restart my Bluetooth this afternoon. Kind of an annoyance, but I'm more on blaming the phone now than the Tesla side of the system.

After a few days of homelink working perfectly, today when I left, the homelink beeped as if it was going to close the garage door, but it never transmitted. I even tapped the garage button and no signal was sent. I parked went into the homelink settings but didn't re-set the homelink. Afterwards I pressed the garage button and it transmitted again. Didn't have the same issue coming back so it seems like some sort of software bug.

As for the phone, I've found that it works most times, but there are times where it doesn't recognize I'm nearby. I have a SC appointment next week and will ask them to look into these issues and some others.

I'd bet a substantial sum that the HomeLink is a software bug.

The phone thing, well, 50/50 Tesla vs. Android. They ought to talk with company that makes TILE as they appear to have solved these problems. TILE had issues similar to start with, but appears to be solid now.

1) Homelink always worked for me but I wish it would resume after I skipped it once. Most of the time when I back out of the garage and skipped the auto close, the car will remember this. No matter which day or when I leave again the car will never auto close the garage again until I toggle On and Off everything in the Homelink settings.

3) I noticed every Friday night my phone won't unlock my car after work. I have to toggle Off and On Bluetooth or Airplane mode. Past 4 Fridays nights my car won't unlock at 4pm. Usually I leave work at 7pm from Mon -Thurs so maybe the car doesn't believe it's me. One day it will learn that I leave work at 4pm on a Friday and will come get me at the back door all by itself.

I'd bet a substantial sum that the HomeLink is a software bug.

The phone thing, well, 50/50 Tesla vs. Android. They ought to talk with company that makes TILE as they appear to have solved these problems. TILE had issues similar to start with, but appears to be solid now.
The phone issue isn't an Android thing. People with Apple report having issues too. I'm on Android and it's working great for me.

3. Finally, the phone lock is still a bit weird. Apparently, it's dropping the Bluetooth connection to the car from time to time. If I actually, open the app and tell it to unlock the car it works 100% of the time, but to actually drive the car, I had to restart my Bluetooth this afternoon. Kind of an annoyance, but I'm more on blaming the phone now than the Tesla side of the system.
May be an energy save feature to disable BT radio when locked?