Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Owner (To Me) 2015 P90DL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good afternoon guys:
Picked up a 2015 P90DL from Sydney on Tuesday morning. Drove it home from Sydney to Melbourne over the last 2 days.
(Sydney to Goulburn Charfox, Then Gundagai Chargefox, Then Atura Albury - Back Home Today via Euroa Chargefox.)

Using the Chargefox Network due to Tesla not being able to add the car to my Account as yet... some sort of technical issue. Thankfully previous owner had purchased the CCS2 Upgrade so was able to use that.

Obviously as a first time Tesla owner I can't get the grin off my face. Just wanted to get some feedback about my experiences from people who may be a bit more knowledgeable than myself.

1) Range
After a full 100% Charge Vehicle reported range of around 370km. Does this seem consistent with peoples expectations?
Does Range Mode make a tangible difference on longer trips with this Vehicle.

2) Spotify etc
Is there any caching of tracks etc on Spotify. Vehicle has the MCU Storage Upgrade but still 3G and had some cut-outs along the way in terms of losing coverage etc.

Don't worry. Unless your car has legacy free charging, then Chargefox is cheaper. Especially if you've linked your NRMA/RACV etc member number in-app under My Profile - Add Partner. It's also slightly faster than the v2 Superchargers we have in Australia. There are also places where you've got Chargefox but no Superchargers. Tasmania for example. You're now set up to use any of those.

So Tesla did you a favour :)

It's best not to think of range in terms of kilometres. It'll always be incorrect. Does your phone report its battery in minutes? Switch to percentage and be done with it.

And I'm fairly sure that Spotify songs get cached on my Model 3. It's far too responsive to believe it's grabbing songs via LTE all the time.

Last edited:
QBN-PC:
Yes I had my RACV Details entered for Chargefox so reduced the Pricing down to 32c a KWH or thereabouts.
I tried the Evie station in Avenel to see how they work, but the charger wouldn't operate unfortunately.

I'm just very lucky I had the CCS2 Adaptor. I would have been pretty stuck if I didn't happen across that in Trunk.

Does Range Mode make a tangible difference on longer trips with this Vehicle.
Range mode makes only a minor difference to actual range (due to the distribution of power being biased mostly to the front motor which is a little more efficient) except in extremes of heat or cold where the cooling/heating doesn't work as hard. Heating on a cold day especially can cause a huge hit to range and this helps blunt it somewhat.

Range mode makes only a minor difference to actual range (due to the distribution of power being biased mostly to the front motor which is a little more efficient) except in extremes of heat or cold where the cooling/heating doesn't work as hard. Heating on a cold day especially can cause a huge hit to range and this helps blunt it somewhat.
Thanks for that Conman... I would think Power Biased to front Motor might be better on a Performance D... But I'll have a play on a longer trip and see how I go.

Don't worry. Unless your car has legacy free charging, then Chargefox is cheaper. Especially if you've linked your NRMA/RACV etc member number in-app under My Profile - Add Partner. It's also slightly faster than the v2 Superchargers we have in Australia. There are also places where you've got Chargefox but no Superchargers. Tasmania for example. You're now set up to use any of those.

So Tesla did you a favour :)

It's best not to think of range in terms of kilometres. It'll always be incorrect. Does your phone report its battery in minutes? Switch to percentage and be done with it.

And I'm fairly sure that Spotify songs get cached on my Model 3. It's far too responsive to believe it's grabbing songs via LTE all the time.
Don’t all model S of that age have free legacy supercharging? Easiest way to check is to log into the tesla account (once available).....or better still go to a supercharger, plug it in and see what happens

I did an opposite way. Bought in Melbourne and drove to Sydney. However, even the car was not under my name/account (because at least in NSW to transfer ownership you need to do all the paperwork in transport Department and send it to Tesla) I was able to use supercharger. May be because the car has free supercharger for life so old owner just asked not to overstay on the charger so he wouldn't need to pay idle fees.

I did an opposite way. Bought in Melbourne and drove to Sydney. However, even the car was not under my name/account (because at least in NSW to transfer ownership you need to do all the paperwork in transport Department and send it to Tesla) I was able to use supercharger. May be because the car has free supercharger for life so old owner just asked not to overstay on the charger so he wouldn't need to pay idle fees.

If I didn't happen across the CCS2 Adaptor in the Charger bag I would have tried Supercharging and/or contacted Tesla and tried to get them to issue me a workaround. Thankfully previous owner had completed the CCS2 Upgrade so I was able to use the ChargeFox Network instead. Thankfully there are now lots of options compared to 2-3 years ago.

I did the same with a 2015 S85. Sydney to Melbourne. Not on account but supercharging still worked all way back to melbourne. The way I understand it is the car has Free SC for the life of the vehicle no matter who owns it.
full battery on mine usually around 380-395km

I did the same with a 2015 S85. Sydney to Melbourne. Not on account but supercharging still worked all way back to melbourne. The way I understand it is the car has Free SC for the life of the vehicle no matter who owns it.
full battery on mine usually around 380-395km

I'll try a Supercharger tomorrow and let you know how I go.
My Battery Part Number is 1063792-00-A... Seems to allow Supercharging at 100KW+

Afaik in the US if the car is traded to Tesla they remove FSD (if applicable) and Free Supercharging before shifting to an auction house/ dealer.

I assume a similar policy in Australia.

That said after a few public stuff ups in the US, I understand what is/isn't included should be very clearly disclosed.

Different story if it's a private sale to an auction house. Tesla not involved then.

Last edited:
Reactions: Techno-phile
Interesting.
So key items;
- Upgraded MCU,
- ** LUDIRCOUS Speed Upgrade **,
- Supercharger Enabled As Pay Per Use,

I would have read that as MCU2 not EMMc upgrade, but no free supercharging, and Ludicrous (lol Pickles spelling) should be activated.

Interesting.
So key items;
- Upgraded MCU,
- ** LUDIRCOUS Speed Upgrade **,
- Supercharger Enabled As Pay Per Use,

I would have read that as MCU2 not EMMc upgrade, but no free supercharging, and Ludicrous (lol Pickles spelling) should be activated.

I spoke to the Sales guys first, and they were a bit confused. I understood it was eMMC Fix not MCU2 Upgrade. Honestly MCU2 probably wouldn't do much for me.. I still enjoy AM Radio :)

Ludicrous mode is definitely there... My Neck is telling me so.
Supercharger we will wait and see when I give it a try tomorrow.