Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New owner Trip Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a golf trip this weekend that is 160 miles round trip on the highway, speedlimit is 75 so I would probably drive 80mph. I will probably drive 20-25 miles while there. I have the 75D so fully charged it would be 245 miles. There isn't anywhere to charge while there or in between. Is there enough range to make this trip?

I have a golf trip this weekend that is 160 miles round trip on the highway, speedlimit is 75 so I would probably drive 80mph. I will probably drive 20-25 miles while there. I have the 75D so fully charged it would be 245 miles. There isn't anywhere to charge while there or in between. Is there enough range to make this trip?
I would say so. Just go easy on the outbound section of the trip. And on the HVAC. Worst that may happen is you have to slow down on the return journey.

Also, turn off your cabinet overheat protection and preconditioning. I have a 75 as well, and have had to make a couple of trips like that, and it definitely gets close. Remember that wind speed will also affect you. I suggest going 65 on the way there, and if you have enough battery, then you can speed up on the way back. You mentioned there is no place to plug in over there, but even on a 110, you can get 4-5 miles per hour which could really help you out.

Should be easy but in case of emergency drafting a truck gives you emergency range.

I just made a trip from Seattle to Carlsbad and back. When I keep it under 75 mph I gain about 5% over what the car estimates. If it was estimated that I would arrive at 20%, I routinely arrive at 25%. The calculation seems to assume that I will drive fast and aggressive. And this was with the A/C running in bio-weapon mode at 70 to 72 degrees. Lots of forest fires for most of the trip.

Also, if I drive manually, I gain a few percentage points over letting Crazy Head (EAP) drive.

• Funny
Reactions: mburnet6
Sorry, bur the best anyone can answer for you is "probably".

You need to use the tools in the car to monitor your progress. You need to learn to drive the car, and how to interpret what the car is telling you. Differing conditions will influence your range, like elevation changes, temperature, wind and driving speed.

The only one of those that you have control over is speed.

Looking at Kansas City, there doesn't seem to be a lot of directions that don't have chargers. Take a look at PlugShare.com.
Also, remember, that there are a lot of chargers besides Superchargers. And look for J-1772 chargers along the way and your destination as well. Heck, just hooking up to 120V overnight can add a little.

While charging at destination and J-1772 chargers aren't as fast as Superchargers, they can be quite helpful for providing the "oh crap, I really don't have enough to make it home" charging.

Your biggest saver, by far, will be to drop the speed. Going from 80 to at least 75 can gain a LOT of distance. Just set the TACC on 70 or 75 and sit back and enjoy the ride. Is the extra 5 minutes that you will gain by going from 75 to 80 really worth it? It can also be advantageous to get off of the Interstate and enjoy the remainder of the countryside.

My recommendation for your first trip is to chill, slow it down, look for any type of power at your destination and be a little more cautious for your first trip. Something like driving more than 20-25 miles at your destination is easy to do and you don't want it to spoil your trip.
Play with the power usage as you are driving, watch the power for 10 miles, then change your speed and see what happens.

It is so much easier to take it easy and cautious on your first trip and learn from it, then you will be able to have a much better understanding for future trips.

Yes, I would do it in my 70D, but slowing down will provide some buffer.