Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New owner with very slow 240V charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I came home from work at 2 am and plugged into the 240V. I have my charging set to begin at midnight so the car began charging immediately. I took a loot at my app and noted that it needed 6 hrs 22 min to replace the 69 rated miles I had used! It looks like the car is only charging 11 rated miles per hour! Not an issue many night but it will be for some. I have an MS60.

The app said 11 mph/237V/16/40A. I checked again 20 min later and no change in rate.

I did a forum search and couldn't find anything about rates this slow
from a 240.

Should I call the electrician? Should I call Tesla?

thanks in advance for any input!

I had a very similar issue. It turned out the charge cable was not fully inserted into the car.
Stop charging, then take the cable out and reinsert with a good strong shove until you hear the strong click.
That worked for me -- my car was charging at exactly 11 mph then went to the full 28 mph after fully inserting the cable.
If that does not work, definitely call Tesla Service.
Good luck

I don't have the Model S but I found this thread very interesting both from a technical point of view, in fact in Italy we have 240 V outlets available, and also from a human point of view. It's very nice to see all TMC Members helping each other to work out an issue like this.

I too think the charge cable just wasn't pushed in all the way. The cable and car charge port are quite sturdy, so I never take chances and actually shove it in there with some weight shift. I've noticed that other people (like my kids) are way too gentle with it, thinking they don't want to break anything. With that much power going through the cable/charge port, you really do want it in there nice and tight.

I too think the charge cable just wasn't pushed in all the way. The cable and car charge port are quite sturdy, so I never take chances and actually shove it in there with some weight shift. I've noticed that other people (like my kids) are way too gentle with it, thinking they don't want to break anything. With that much power going through the cable/charge port, you really do want it in there nice and tight.
That's what she said.

Kidding aside, I also put some force behind it when I plug in.

I always look through the window to check the smaller screen after plugging in the cable to make sure that it reads 40 amps and that the bottom line is "charging will start at ...".

Bad UMC ...

Don't rule out a bad UMC. I had a similar problem with mine during the first few days after delivery.
It would start charging at 40 amps for 10-15 minutes, and then go down to 10 amps.

I tested the car with J1772 at 70 amps, to rule out a problem with the car, and then at another 14-50 connection to confirm it was the UMC and not my installation.

Tesla changed it after I explained all my tests...

Thanks so much everyone! I made sure the cable was securely plugged into the wall as well as the Tesla, and it's charging at 40A at a rate of 26 miles/hour. Much better! It's weird, because I always wait to hear the click, and heard one last night. Of course, it was the end of a long shift at 2 am, so I likely didn't have it in there as firmly as it should have been. I figured that if I heard the click I was good to go. Lesson learned! Thanks again!!!