TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

New Owner

Discussion in 'Model S' started by mandersen, Aug 16, 2017.

1. mandersen

mandersen Member

New to the forums and soon to be new owner. Live in the Seattle area, and ordered a Model S P75D.

The wife and I will be picking it up in Freemont in mid September and taking a relaxing 4-5 day trip up the coast to return home. Since this is our first EV I am looking for any advice for an 1100 mile road trip with no time in the car prior. I have mapped out the trip with the different trip planners, so looks like we will be good with Superchargers the whole way.

Any advice, or accessories/phone apps/etc. that other owners would recommend or wouldn't leave home without?

Thanks,
    Matthew

• Like x 2
  2. Bebop

Bebop Member

#2 Bebop, Aug 16, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
    P75D? Is this a new order off the website? or did you mean P85D?

• Like x 1
  3. rocketshipp85

rocketshipp85 Member

Congrats, Look at evtripplanner and see what it suggests before you start your trip. Just make sure to try of charge up before you leave, my usually recommendation is go to the farthest supercharger from your start of your trip and then from there on stop at basically everyone after it, they are usually about 110-130 miles apart. And give yourself an extra 30-35 miles extra range from how far your next Supercharger is.

4. Maximilien

Maximilien Member

Congrats! How did you order your Model S P75D?

5. mandersen

mandersen Member

Sorry 75D lol. Been reading a ton and every time I type it the P just wants to be there, but the wife wouldn't approve it.

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 2
  6. Bebop

Bebop Member

LOL. You scared the crap out of me. I'm like...did I miss out on something here?! Since I'm expecting delivery in September as well.

• Funny x 1
  7. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

@ mandersen, did you factor in paying CA sales tax too because you are picking it up at the factory?

8. mandersen

mandersen Member

I am still working through that. I am actually signing everything in WA before I head down to CA. However I have checked with the State of WA and any tax I pay in CA will be granted as a credit toward tax owed in the State of WA when registering the vehicle. The tax rate is 0.25% more in Freemont, CA than my location. So worst case I will pay that. However my delivery manager stated today that if I do the paperwork in WA before I come down I won't have to pay CA tax. I have asked her to verify that from Finance as I can't find that as an option on the CA DOL site anywhere.

9. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

Great. Solid idea. Sounds like you knew and compensated for CA taxes already. Most people don't know til they get there. Welcome to the family. :)

10. cameronr

cameronr Member

Is it a boy or girl!? :D

11. f-stop

f-stop Member

@mandersen Congratulations, and welcome to TMC!
    I did a road trip in my 70D from Vancouver BC to Fremont (factory tour!) and back, last fall and had a great time. I'm sure you'll find the trip easy to do and enjoyable in your brand new MS. We took our time with a few overnight stops along the way (Portland, Grants Pass, Napa, San Francisco) - No problems with Superchargers along the way, none were crowded - except for the Fremont one where there was a lineup (mostly locals, I was told).

I recently started using evtripping.com for route planning - I was previously using evtripplanner.com, but I noticed ever since the Sequim WA and Arlington WA Superchargers recently opened that evtripplanner started giving some very weird results through WA state, not just routing paths but numbers that look totally wrong. Just FYI, I think those 2 new locations are confusing evtripplanner, and I'm not sure how actively the site is being maintained.

As for must-have apps... aside from the Tesla mobile app, I like Remote S. For finding local/destination chargers when off the Supercharger/highway routes, I have Plugshare and ChargePoint apps. Random things to bring, how about a spray bottle & squeegee to clean the windshield... along the I-5 route, the Centralia Supercharger conveniently has buckets & squeegees but never saw them at any of the other SCs (though there's a 76 gas station across the street from Mt Shasta SC, you can borrow theirs). I also keep a small cooler in the frunk for drinks, sometimes handy as sometimes restaurant choices at certain SC stops aren't so interesting.

have fun!

12. Hugh Mannity

Hugh Mannity Mediocre Member

Drove from Fremont, (you are going to enjoy the factory tour), with my 75D to Vancouver a couple weeks ago. Stop at the superchargers the map recommends and leave when it says you can, should be about a 15% buffer for the next arrival, all good.

We drove north on the I5 most of the way with a detour around crater lake, that was cool. If you do that I would top up as much as you can at the Klamath Falls charger to ensure you make it to Eugene.

We drove south on the 101 most of the way from Washington, again non issue and wow what a gorgeous drive! Have a great trip, you are going to be grinning from ear to ear. :D

13. mandersen

mandersen Member

@Hugh Mannity Yes Crater Lake is a cool location.

@f-stop Thanks, those are exactly the tricks I was looking for. Thanks for the heads up on the evtripplaner

What has everyone done about floor mats/etc? Any gotta have accessories that you can't live without, either Tesla or 3rd party?

Thanks,

14. Hugh Mannity

Hugh Mannity Mediocre Member

I invested in the full mat package from Tesla accessories; I considered it a must have particularly for us in the wet north west. From November to April the floor and trunk mat was always wet. Wanted to keep all that moisture out of the carpeting.