Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New owners and early adopter owners: Do I detect a major difference?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Somehow the 'early adopter' mantra tends to irritate me. I admit I have bought a fair number of products before they were mainstream, a large number of which soon disappeared (in cars think NSU RO80, Mazda R100, and so on). It seems to me the typical view among 'normal' people is that one is an early adopter if most people familiar with the general topic know nothing about the one you just bought. By that metric Tesla buyers outside California and Norway might well be seen as early adopters today. Rationally seems to me none of us after Roadster owners and Signature S are really in the category.

Anyway I do not much care. I am so thrilled to be in my car every single time that I cannot be bothered about anything much other than plotting how to get more time to drive it. Now that Superchargers are widespread I do not even think I am ion emerging in any respect whatsoever.

OTOH, I remain a TSLA shareholders after a couple of years. That makes me something but I dread to think what it might be.

I think that the "early adopter" badge might depend on where you live.
Teslas of all types are no big deal in southern California, or even on the East coast.
Seeing one in here the flyover states, hundreds of miles from a showroom, service or a Supercharger is another matter.

I want credit as an early adopter AND as a new buyer!
How's that for entitlement! :tongue:

Somehow the 'early adopter' mantra tends to irritate me. I admit I have bought a fair number of products before they were mainstream, a large number of which soon disappeared (in cars think NSU RO80, Mazda R100, and so on).

Buying different types of ICE vehicles is completely different than going from ICE to full electric. The "early adopter" being talked about here, and that irritates you, is adopting a form of transportation that is completely "ICE"less.

I fail to see how anyone can be irritated with this slogan being used for those who bought the first Teslas. I have nothing but admiration and appreciation for them and I feel they should wear this slogan as a badge of honour. If no one bought them, we wouldn't be driving them now that they are becoming more and more commonplace.

My hat is off to all of you "early adopters"!

Once I finally get my Model X, did you catch the subtle complaint there? :wink:, we can all decide together where I fit in. I once thought I was an early adopter, that seems like a really long time ago.

My $100k Model S with 3,000 miles on it has more rattles, ticks, buzzes, etc. than my $17k Scion xB dog hauler with 50,000 miles on it. I knew up front that even for $100k, the Model S was not going to compare to my $75k BMW in terms of interior noise, material quality, build quality, etc. I was OK with that, and was willing to look the other way due to all of the other awesome aspects of the Model S. What I didn't expect was for it to have more quality control issues than an econobox.

Now, Tesla will fix all of my issues, I have no doubt. But expressing concern about them and demanding that they be fixed has nothing to do with entitlement. If someone GAVE me a Model S, complaining about these things would be a different story. But I spent $100k and expected a certain level of quality for that price. If "entitled" people like me don't start saying something about this stuff in larger and larger numbers, it's going to continue like it has for the past 3 years.

Have to agree with this. Our MS has been into the SC many, many (to many) times. It is a car for us, not a 'mission' and I expect/demand that it operate as advertised.