Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New owners, any issues with side-view mirrors?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just picked up a brand new Model S. It has issues with the driver's side mirror:
1. It does not unfold successfully on 1st, 2nd, or even 3rd try sometimes (they unfold up to 75-95%). Workaround, disable mirror-auto-fold.
2. Mirror memory/restore does not work. It doesn't move at all when switching driver profiles, nor does it move to previously set position when the car is put in reverse. The right mirror does, so everything is enabled and we do know how to set it up (also not the out first Tesla). No workaround other than manually set the mirror when switching drivers and reversing.

I noticed the 1st one at delivery and was told it was a known firmware issue with new mirror design and that the fix is coming via an OTA. The second one could be related. I was wondering, is anyone else experiencing these issues, and anyone of those one of the "chosen 1000" who got the latest update, and if so, did the latest update fix these problems?

Fyi, the incomplete unfold apparently is a known firmware issue where the sense threshold for too much resistance is set to low. The cause for inability to restore the mirror surface to previously memorized position is unclear to me at this point, could be related to firmware but still waiting on SC to confirm, hence my question here whether others are also experiencing it.

My S driver's side mirror seemed to be fully extended but was not locked in place. I took it in yesterday and the tech fiddled with the button inside until it locked in place. He assured me it was a known firmware issue, which seems rather odd. We aren't using the autofold anymore as a "solution" and reset the "new" five-settings audio equalizer each time we start the car, another firmware issue apparently. The car will be in the shop next week for several fit and finish issues. So goes our two week old ownership experience. If this is what four years of manufacturing experience looks like, I am very worried as an investor and S owner about the future of the company -- and especially the quality of the make or break Model 3 a year from now.

Same on our P100D! But instead its both mirrors they both wouldn't unfold yesterday. Until about 3 miles down the road the passenger mirror folded back out about 2/3 of the way. And the driver mirror never unfolded at all. So we disabled "Auto-Fold" So they wont try to fold in anymore.

My P85D did not have this issue! Nor my wife's 85D!

same, I picked up model S 75 D on 12/23
Driver side mirror does not unfold completely.
I called them yesterday, they told me to manually reset by holding the button on the door for 10 secs, it worked.
Remains to be seen if it misbehaves again
I have appointment with service center coming up

• Informative
Reactions: Haxster
same, I picked up model S 75 D on 12/23
Driver side mirror does not unfold completely.
I called them yesterday, they told me to manually reset by holding the button on the door for 10 secs, it worked.
Remains to be seen if it misbehaves again
I have appointment with service center coming up
Which button? Middle button that folds/unfolds mirrors? How do you know the reset happened?

OH MY GOD, yes. I called in both of the last 2 nights about it. The first night they had me reboot the car by pushing both scroll wheels at the same time. That seemed to fix it but then yesterday it had the same issue. I called in last night and the guy forwarded it to service. Also driver's side.

Also, I noticed that there's two lines on the base of the mirror where it looks like the mirror dragged along it too hard(only present on the misbehaving driver's side one). I'm wondering if it's getting stuck on the base and the motor is unable to force it open all the way.

I haven't experienced #2 though. Mine is a Model S 60 picked up on 12/30.

Took delivery on 12/16. Neither mirror folded / unfolded correctly from day 2. Took it in for service and they cleaned it. No problems since. I guess there was a lot of grime in it which is possible since we had a snow the very day I got the car. They told me too that a firmware fix is coming bc current threshold is too low. i think that mirrors didn't go to correct position if they weren't unfolded all the way though. Can't remember.

Also have a bad strut making a maddening rattle. But that's another issue

Ditto. Mine work great so far. Though I have only had the car a short time (10 days). Some frost this morning did affect performance but it got itself fully unfurled on the third attempt. Hopefully the good times keep coming.

Ditto. Mine work great so far. Though I have only had the car a short time (10 days). Some frost this morning did affect performance but it got itself fully unfurled on the third attempt. Hopefully the good times keep coming.
My 2015 MS mirror unfurl ;) without any problems, frost or snow, as did my 2013 (which coincidentally happened to be one of the earliest cars with folding mirrors). It's the brand new, 2017 that is exhibiting these problems (even in the showroom at delivery time - no frost there). My guess is it has something to do with a new mirror design. Not sure why Tesla changed a design that worked for 3 years. Maybe there is some hidden new feature, like blind spot warning light? :rolleyes:

I just picked up a brand new Model S. It has issues with the driver's side mirror:
1. It does not unfold successfully on 1st, 2nd, or even 3rd try sometimes (they unfold up to 75-95%). Workaround, disable mirror-auto-fold.
2. Mirror memory/restore does not work. It doesn't move at all when switching driver profiles, nor does it move to previously set position when the car is put in reverse. The right mirror does, so everything is enabled and we do know how to set it up (also not the out first Tesla). No workaround other than manually set the mirror when switching drivers and reversing.

I noticed the 1st one at delivery and was told it was a known firmware issue with new mirror design and that the fix is coming via an OTA. The second one could be related. I was wondering, is anyone else experiencing these issues, and anyone of those one of the "chosen 1000" who got the latest update, and if so, did the latest update fix these problems?

We have this problem. It drove me nuts because I couldn't figure out if it's a hardware problem or software problem.

I've seen on occasion it seems the alignment between driver & passenger is different. When it does fold out 100%, everything seems to work. When it gets stuck at mostly folded, it doesn't even attempt to use the memory settings. So I suspect it's a hardware problem that's leading to a connectivity/signal to the profiles in order to initiate the memory settings.

I took delivery of my car Dec 13th and have this same problem. What I found is that after you notice it's not unfolded all the way, double click the fold button. (middle) You sort of have to slowly double click it if that's a thing... essentially I click it and then as soon as it starts to fold I click again so it opens and then it opens all the way. I guess I should describe it as click click not double click. Anyway ... I hope it's fixed with the next firmware.

• Helpful
Reactions: ngkl