Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New owners: Wh/mi of Aggressive vs Conservative driving challenge?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am very interested in the efficiency of the Model 3 while driving aggressively vs conservatively....
Anyone have a decent length commute willing to drive it conservatively one day and then aggressively the next? I would love to see how the Wh/mi varies between driving styles. Ideally, you would drive both to/from in one style and then to/from (the next day) to take elevation out of the equation.
Sounds fun to me... Anyone interested?

Any data?
20180110_015338.jpg

:eek: 684wh/mile?? Can't be right, I hope, otherwise I'm canceling my reservation. It's no exception that I drive 90mph.

im sure this is right. The S85 has a range of around 200km or so at 150km/h i think. EV trip planner also states a consumption of 600wh/mile for 90mph.

Thank god that I am in aus now and this country has speed limits designed for cars from the 50s haha.

:eek: 684wh/mile?? Can't be right, I hope, otherwise I'm canceling my reservation. It's no exception that I drive 90mph.

The measurement is taken over 0.3 mile in which the car has accelerated to 90mph. That kind of acceleration sucks the electrons right out of the battery. Driving at that pace will cause higher consumption, but not that bad.

I still haven't seen yet a comparison of MS 100D vs. M3 range on the same track, same temperature, same speed, same style. 100mph preferred but 80mph would be also fine. It looks to me the range is similar (and so M3 has 75% of energy consumption of MS due to its 75kWh vs. 100kWh battery) but is it really so? Is slightly longer range of M3 or MS? Unfortunately EPA is not much a real world ride model. Thanks.

While I understand your interest in high speed energy consumption, those of us in the US can not, on a regular basis use these speeds and by testing at them are risking their own lives as well as the lives of those around them. These types of information need to be obtained in a controlled environment where nobody is going to get hurt in the process.

Oh, and just as a side note, to the person that threatened cancellation of their reservation if the Model 3 did indeed consume 600 watts per mile at 90 mph...you aren't going to get 40 miles to the gallon on your Honda going 90 mph either. Speed sucks up energy. Electric or gas...doesn't matter.

Dan

im sure this is right. The S85 has a range of around 200km or so at 150km/h i think. EV trip planner also states a consumption of 600wh/mile for 90mph.

Thank god that I am in aus now and this country has speed limits designed for cars from the 50s haha.

I'm pretty sure this isn't right.

My Model S 90D has a consumption of roughly 400 wh/km, or 650 wh/mile, at about 180-190 kmh, so about 110-120 mph. At about 140 kmh, 87 mph, the consumption is lower than 300 wh/km (480 wh/mile), I'd say about 260-280 wh/km (420-450 wh/mile)

So 600 wh/mile on 90 mph would be catastrophic on the supposedly more efficient Model 3.

Reactions: Hertog_Martin
While I understand your interest in high speed energy consumption, those of us in the US can not, on a regular basis use these speeds and by testing at them are risking their own lives as well as the lives of those around them.

I did mean primarily MS 100D vs. M3 consumption comparison under the same conditions. The higher testing speed was a preference but 70 mph is also fine. There are many owners of both MS+M3 so I would guess they should be interested themselves comparing the consumption riding once by MS and once by M3. BTW Texas has even 85mph limits, more U.S. states have 75mph limits, even there should be 80mph a normal freeway speed given the cars exceed the limit commonly by up to 10mph IIRC when I was driving in USA.

I still haven't seen yet a comparison of MS 100D vs. M3 range on the same track, same temperature, same speed, same style. 100mph preferred but 80mph would be also fine. It looks to me the range is similar (and so M3 has 75% of energy consumption of MS due to its 75kWh vs. 100kWh battery) but is it really so? Is slightly longer range of M3 or MS? Unfortunately EPA is not much a real world ride model. Thanks.

I'd say at high speeds the Model S will have an advantage. The Model 3 seems to be more efficient on the city cycle, than the highway cycle, but with the Model S it's the other way around.

EPA city range:
Model S 100D: 333.1
Model 3: 321.9
Delta: 11.2 miles , 3.4% less range

EPA highway range:
Model S 100D: 337.2
Model 3: 295.5
Delta: 41.7 miles, 12.7 % less range

So with increasing speeds, the difference in percent should increase even more.

While I understand your interest in high speed energy consumption, those of us in the US can not, on a regular basis use these speeds and by testing at them are risking their own lives as well as the lives of those around them. These types of information need to be obtained in a controlled environment where nobody is going to get hurt in the process.

Oh, and just as a side note, to the person that threatened cancellation of their reservation if the Model 3 did indeed consume 600 watts per mile at 90 mph...you aren't going to get 40 miles to the gallon on your Honda going 90 mph either. Speed sucks up energy. Electric or gas...doesn't matter.

Dan

True, but difference in gas usage between 65mph and 90mph is not the same factor as 250Wh/mi and 700Wh/mi.

Im not going to encourage speeding but I do need accurate numbers before I buy.