Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New owners: Wh/mi of Aggressive vs Conservative driving challenge?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drive 95% highway at speeds of 90-100mph. 684Wh/mi at 90 is simply not acceptable, neither is 400Wh/mi. Elon presents Tesla cars as fast cars, it is not a Leaf or Zoe.

I drive a 20 year old $1000 Citroën Saxo 1.1l. I get at least 23mi/gallon at mentioned speeds. Fuel costs $7 a gallon here.

With the M3, a full battery would get me 115 mile range at these speeds. With $0.35 for electricity, that costs me 27 bucks. The same 115 mile would cost me $35. Small difference vs a 20 year old budget gasoline car with the lowest environment rating.

• Disagree
Reactions: Skidmark
I drive 95% highway at speeds of 90-100mph. 684Wh/mi at 90 is simply not acceptable, neither is 400Wh/mi. Elon presents Tesla cars as fast cars, it is not a Leaf or Zoe.

I drive a 20 year old $1000 Citroën Saxo 1.1l. I get at least 23mi/gallon at mentioned speeds. Fuel costs $7 a gallon here.

With the M3, a full battery would get me 115 mile range at these speeds. With $0.35 for electricity, that costs me 27 bucks. The same 115 mile would cost me $35. Small difference vs a 20 year old budget gasoline car with the lowest environment rating.
Please share what ICE car you'd get with better mpg if the info on m3 is correct. With 1.1L, it's surprising it can go that fast but Google confirmed it's possible. Also, that car is not even in the same class. It's the equivalent comparison of m3 to Honda fit or civic. It sounds like you may be interested in inexpensive ICE cars.

Reactions: X Fan
:eek: 684wh/mile?? Can't be right, I hope, otherwise I'm canceling my reservation. It's no exception that I drive 90mph.
It's accurate for that .3 mile stretch of road, but I doubt it's an accurate average for someone travelling at a consistent 90mph without significant head/side winds/et c. The Model S uses ~400Wh/mile@80mph, and I imagine < 500Wh/mil@90mph, and that's with greater aero drag. The Model 3 will almost certainly use less energy than an S at the same speed.

Model S Efficiency and Range

Just because I currently own an inexpensive ICE car you conclude that's what I should or want to stick with?

No, I'm interested in a Tesla Model 3 and have been obsessing about it daily for 1.5 years so I'm not spreading FUD or whatever when I'm expressing disappointment to see 684Wh/mi reported for the speeds I drive.

I'm still assuming those numbers are off however and hope to see that assumption verified with some better numbers. I'm hoping more in the 300-350Wh/mi range.

Just because I currently own an inexpensive ICE car you conclude that's what I should or want to stick with?

No, I'm interested in a Tesla Model 3 and have been obsessing about it daily for 1.5 years so I'm not spreading FUD or whatever when I'm expressing disappointment to see 684Wh/mi reported for the speeds I drive.

I'm still assuming those numbers are off however and hope to see that assumption verified with some better numbers. I'm hoping more in the 300-350Wh/mi range.
Sorry for assuming, just look at realistic alternatives. I suspect it's few if any.

Am I the only with omgwtfbyobbq who noticed that the screen shot is a third mile drag run with a screen shot at the end?

It is not even close to be representative of any highway usage, do you get it?

It is a drag run, that is all.

Alright, I'll calm my horses.

Not familiar with how Tesla cars report these statistics. Thought maybe he started measuring 0.3 miles ago while already doing 90.

If it was a 0-90 pedal to the metal drag race its different story yes.

Still wondering though if the M3 does indeed perform exponentially worse with higher speed compared to the MS due to the permanent magnet vs induction.

Found this screenshot from the cannonball run:

Could someone clarify what the Wh/mi precisely reflects? Is it the usage of that specific moment in time at that speed or is it an average? And if an average: is it the average taken over the last x mile(s) or over the entire trip?

Could someone clarify what the Wh/mi precisely reflects? Is it the usage of that specific moment in time at that speed or is it an average? And if an average: is it the average taken over the last x mile(s) or over the entire trip?

It says it right there on the screen, "since last charge"

Further, we can see that "since last charge" they went 23.7 miles and consumed 7kWh of energy, hence 304 Wh/mi (well, if it was only 7kWh it would be 295 Wh/mi.. so the 7kWh is rounded a bit)

Reactions: T34ME
Says right on the screen, "Since last charge"

So that number is useless then in combination with displayed speed on photos. If you drive 40mph for 50 miles and then go 90 for 1 mile and make a photo it will display 90mph with 220Wh/mi or something.

Does Tesla not provide statistics on current usage in time? Many ice cars show realtime mpg instead of average.

Reactions: jsmay311
So that number is useless then in combination with displayed speed on photos. If you drive 40mph for 50 miles and then go 90 for 1 mile and make a photo it will display 90mph with 220Wh/mi or something.

Does Tesla not provide statistics on current usage in time? Many ice cars show realtime mpg instead of average.

The S/X have more detailed realtime / last 5 mile, 15mile?, and 30mile averages along with trip meters. The Model 3 is missing those energy graphs and currently only has the trip meters.

There's a ton of software features that are absent on the 3 versus the current software in the S/X.

Why is it useless? For the cannonball run, they were likely to be trying to stay. as close to 90 as the could get. Much more believable that the number there is indicative of 90 mph than the number you were willing to believe before. It also is in the range you were expecting/hoping, so I would think you would be happy to see this number. Would be nice if Tesla gave us more info, but it is what it is and as was stated the SW isn’t done yet. Hopefully more information will come in time.

Reactions: omgwtfbyobbq

The Model 3 seems to lack quite a bit of info you get on the S. It doesn't even seem to have a power meter.

I hope they add this over time, right now Tesla seems to think Model 3 owners are too stupid to handle information. They even replaced the kWh rating... maybe soon consumption will be shown as, high consumption, medium consumption and low consumption.

• Disagree
Reactions: Esme Es Mejor
While I understand the need for information relevant to individuals' lifestyle, driving style, etc. I think this thread adds to the list of things that this car was never designed to be. No car can be everything for everybody. This car was designed from the ground up (especially the interior and user interface) to eventually be an autonomous mode of transportation for a much larger segment of the population than they had marketed for in the past. This was stated very early on in the design process and Tesla has made no apologies, nor should they, for that fact.

When people start making comments about the Model 3 not having this feature or that function compared to a Model S they are forgetting what this car IS and focusing on what it ISN'T. The general public that this car was built for are not going to be driving it at 90 mph on a regular consistent basis. Of course some will, but it was never intended to be used that way. If this car can not meet your qualifications for what it is you want in a car then just buy something else that does, but expecting every bell and whistle that is on other models to be on a car with half the cost just seems pretty disingenuous to me.

Dan

Why is it useless? For the cannonball run, they were likely to be trying to stay. as close to 90 as the could get. Much more believable that the number there is indicative of 90 mph than the number you were willing to believe before. It also is in the range you were expecting/hoping, so I would think you would be happy to see this number. Would be nice if Tesla gave us more info, but it is what it is and as was stated the SW isn’t done yet. Hopefully more information will come in time.

I wouldn't say it's useless, but it doesn't really tell you about the 3's energy usage at 90mph. There are too many factors that could affect the Wh/mile figure in that picture such as going downhill, a low average speed, etc...

Just to follow. I had ample opportunities to capture high speed usage. I just only had one "safe" one in the whole trip. I will not use general freeways to test high speeds with other cars present. Was on a turnpike. Was passed by a young lady in an Audi doing a buck twenty. That being said most people according to LE folks are poor at estimated speed. I let her run away for a bit. With no other cars present I brought the car up to speed with plenty of clear sight lines ahead. Reset trip computer. Took photo. Slowed back to normal human speeds.

Not what everyone is looking for. Most people on this forum would have someone show up at their funeral. Just think about those people when you do what you do. They would be mighty angry at you(at least mine would) should it end poorly. I little off on a tangent, and no shade thrown at responsible parties that do this type of thing.