Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Owners: What was your last car? How much more was the MS than that car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is no way in hell I would have spent this much money on a car were it not a Tesla, all electric, and high performance. And it's not about the money -- I could afford BMW, Audi, Jaguar, and the other luxury performance brands but I had no interest in owning another ICE at any price. For me and for a number of reasons, ICEs are a huge turn off, and it's more than just the poison they inject into the air we breathe every day. They're also a nightmare of plumbing, noise, and filth -- real old fashined stuff. They're the past, in spite of all the BS claims the manufacturers make about "innovation."

Last edited:
?..for a number of reasons, ICEs are a huge turn off, and it's more than just the poisin they inject into the air we breathe every day. They're also a nightmare of plumbing, noise, and filth -- real old fashined stuff. They're the past, in spite of all the BS claims the manufacturers make about "innovation."
Absolutely right. I think for 99% of Tesla owners (I recall only one post on TMC about someone trading their Model S for an ICE), once you have owned one and lived with the car for a bit, you realize that electric is the only way you want to drive. Every ICE vehicle seems hopelessly antiquated: 20th century, not 21st century.
And that is something that the other car companies don't seem to understand because the people who run them have never owned a quality EV, or any EV.

2013 BMW 6 Series Gran Coupe w/ Individual exterior and interior was about $110K. So, the P90DL about $33K more.
That was my "almost car" - ended up with the Model S and never looked back. My last car (wife drives) was a 2013 X5 and about 1/2 the cost of the Tesla. Would do it again in a heartbeat.

Funny, I pulled up alongside a Bentley GTC today and figured it is about the same cost (maybe a little more) than a fully loaded P90D and I'd rather have my car - although the Bentley was nice. I like the understated stealthness of the Tesla.

Interesting thread. At this point every car I have ever purchased cost more than the one before. Not sure I can continue that rend after Telsa:)

1985 Toyota Celica (off the college!)
1996 Acura Integra (Celica still going strong after 11 years but was starting to have some more frequent issues)
2001 Audi A4 w/Quattro (ready for a less boring car--wanted German!)
2007 Lexus GS350AWD (German car with too many issues and now out of Warranty, wanted a more powerful car with AWD but fewer issues)
2015 Model S 85D (love at first site, just took me a couple of years to pull the trigger)

+40K over Lexus

I had an Acura TL (practical car), and Aston Martin (fun car). Sold both, bought the Model S.
So +60K, -not sure how much K.
I am thinking of buying either a smart car or elio for places I'd rather not take the Model S.
I also have a bicycle.

2007 Acura MDX, loaded, $55K. Model S (not loaded) cost me almost exactly $100K.
at 190K miles, the MDX wasn't worth much at the end. Gave it to the kid who is just getting her license.
(as s side note, she begs me to drive the Model S every day. Still on a permit so it isn't happening).

Most recent purchase before the Tesla was a F350 diesel for $60K. Its not quite as efficient.