Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Owners: What was your last car? How much more was the MS than that car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last new car: 1993 Chevy Silverado. Great truck. Super reliable. Love it. Will probably never sell it. 30k if I remember right.

Last Car: 1997 Dodge Viper, bought in 2000 for 55k. Amazing car, stunning looks and unlike anything else in the car world. Really miss it...

P85 about 100k with all the options I wanted. Will probably never sell it either

Would never have bought the Tesla if it wasn't American, fairly high performance and great looking. It was this or another Viper.

2006 Corvette Z06 + 2012 Prius Four

2006 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
505 hp
470 ft-lb torque
0-60 4.0 seconds
19 mpg city actual
26 mpg hwy actual
8 mpg track actual
owned for 10 years / 57,000 miles

Our P85D is a quantum leap ahead of my Z06. No comparison... and a about 8 times lower CO$T per mile.

Because our P85D is so economical we're probably going to sell our:

2012 Toyota Prius Four
Solar Package (sunroof, solar panel to run vent when hot)

Yes a 2-for-1 upgrade. Awesome!

Last edited:
2000 BMW ///M Roadster with 75K miles on. Sold it for $13K a week before getting my MS (didn't want to sell, but literally needed space in the garage)
2014 Model S 85 P+ (details below) $120.5K

delta: $106.5K Would've never paid nearly that much, if not for what it represents and how it drives.

1st new car I bought in 1999 - 2000 VW Passat 1.8T $25k
bought a 2001 Audi TT in 2003 for $20k
bought a new 2007 Toyota Prius for $22k
bought a 2005 Audi allroad in 2008 for $20k
you can see the trend... I never spent more than ~$20k for a car...

Then 2015, a new MS for $100k, so +$80k

I still have all these cars except for the VW (totalled back in 2006) I have owned a few cars for $600, $2k, etc... I feel those shouldn't count :p

Kia Forte 2014 SX Paid 42K$ Canadian in Febuary 2014. Sold 14500$ in July 2015 :(

Woooaaaa. That's with taxes right? That's 36K before taxes. DId it come with an extra Forte in the trunk ? :p Seriously, I just can't wrap my head around this number - I know you bought it before the CKFTA (free trade agreement between Canada and South Korea) but my previous ride, a 2013 S60 T6 AWD base price was around 39K CAD.

Woooaaaa. That's with taxes right? That's 36K before taxes. DId it come with an extra Forte in the trunk ? :p Seriously, I just can't wrap my head around this number - I know you bought it before the CKFTA (free trade agreement between Canada and South Korea) but my previous ride, a 2013 S60 T6 AWD base price was around 39K CAD.
I'd be more concerned about the drop in value from $42K to $14.5K in only 17 months!

I'd be more concerned about the drop in value from $42K to $14.5K in only 17 months!

With the CKFTA, resale value of all korean-made care took a big drop in Canada(even if the duty was only 6.1%)... and even before that, Kia resale value was pretty low. Then there's the fact that a Forte starts at around 15K and we all know that accesories are worth close to nothing when reselling.

My example is not that different. Excluding taxes, I paid $52K for my S60 in February 2013. Base price of a T6 model model was around $39K so that's $13K in accessories (roof, leather, HID, navigtion, premium audio, bigger wheels, start button, remote start, etc etc). I was offered $28K in March 2015. A base model was worth around $27K. While a 39K->27K is not surprising for the first 2 years of Volvo, the 52K->28K hurts a bit more...

I sold my 2013 SRT8 Jeep to get the 2014 inventory P85D.

The Jeep was about $68,000+tax. It was fast and beautiful. Costs about $5000 a year in gas. Averaged about 13mpg.
I sold it a few weeks ago to car max for $43,000 with 46,000 miles on it. Accept for the high miles it was in like new condition.

The Tesla is fully loaded and I paid about $120,000 +tax. Insurance is just a little higher on the Tesla, but not too much.

To be honest, I don't think I'll ever see a savings. But for me, the P85D is a justifiable super car. It's the perfect sport sedan. Even an AMG Mercedes has some compromises. The Tesla is nearly S-class smooth with AMG performance.... But with exotic car quickness.

There are enough supercharges in CA, so I can go pretty much wherever I want in the Tesla.

Maybe an S63 would be a better car in terms of tech, comfort, and luxury.... But at 12 mpg and extremely high maintenance I could never justify it. And it still wouldn't feel as fast as a P85D.

My my only regret is the Tesla's are all over the place where I live. I would only see another SRT8 Jeep about once every two months. My P85D is white pearl with 21" grey wheels... I don't see that combination very often where I live. So I guess there really are no regrets. :)

~Jay

Don't have full price details but...

2014 Kia Forte SX (High end model), winter tire and rims, electronic rustproofing, remote start, replacement insurrance (wich is refundable paid around 3k and will get around 2K back, didnt asked for it yet lol..) taxes included etc... loan was around 41k$ at 0% interrest. Tesla was offering me 10K for the car. Went to HGregoire and got 14.5K instead. So with the 2K back i will get around 16,5K wich is not even the taxes on the tesla lol

1) Toyota Prius v 2013.
2) $73k premium. (The Prius sold for $20,000 exactly, my Model S was $93k when all was said and done, not counting the tax credit.)

I personally wouldn't consider a normal luxury car. To spend all that money only to end up with something that guzzles gas is just something I wouldn't want to do. I love the Model S because it's a great car that's also extremely efficient. (And yes, the monetary savings from not buying gasoline is tiny, but it's not just about the money.)

I couldn't agree with your comments more! My wife wants a C7, @ about $100k for the Z06. If you spent that kind of money on a car, why the hell would you want to have to deal with oil changes, transmission, and all the other maintenance of an ICE?

- - - Updated - - -

I sold my 2013 SRT8 Jeep to get the 2014 inventory P85D.

The Jeep was about $68,000+tax. It was fast and beautiful. Costs about $5000 a year in gas. Averaged about 13mpg.
I sold it a few weeks ago to car max for $43,000 with 46,000 miles on it. Accept for the high miles it was in like new condition.

The Tesla is fully loaded and I paid about $120,000 +tax. Insurance is just a little higher on the Tesla, but not too much.

To be honest, I don't think I'll ever see a savings. But for me, the P85D is a justifiable super car. It's the perfect sport sedan. Even an AMG Mercedes has some compromises. The Tesla is nearly S-class smooth with AMG performance.... But with exotic car quickness.

There are enough supercharges in CA, so I can go pretty much wherever I want in the Tesla.

Maybe an S63 would be a better car in terms of tech, comfort, and luxury.... But at 12 mpg and extremely high maintenance I could never justify it. And it still wouldn't feel as fast as a P85D.

My my only regret is the Tesla's are all over the place where I live. I would only see another SRT8 Jeep about once every two months. My P85D is white pearl with 21" grey wheels... I don't see that combination very often where I live. So I guess there really are no regrets. :)

~Jay

I had a 2007 Jeep SRT8 before trading it in for my Volt. The new SRT8s aren't any where as cool as our years. The body style just lost it and the dual central exhaust is gone.

Regardless, the new SRT8s are 70k. I'd rather have my 85D.