Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Owners: What was your last car? How much more was the MS than that car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2010 Honda Pilot touring ed, (which I hated, and I swear was trying to kill us) ~40K
replaced by
2015 70D

Never, ever thought I'd buy a car this expensive, but all it took was one test drive, just for fun :p

Ditto. Current car is a Sonata Turbo which I bought new for $27.5k about 4 years ago. Never in a million years would I have considered spending $90k on a car prior to becoming infatuated with the MS. In fact, I can still look around at a variety of $60-70, ICE vehicles and think, "I would never spend that much for that car." It's amazing how powerful the combination of style, comfort, cutting edge technology, performance, and escaping the oil/pollution component of the Model S can be. Well, the massive tax breaks and the fact that I won't even pay to charge the vehicle (my office is next door to a supercharger) doesn't hurt either.

Retired it a few years ago, but my last car was a used Buick (not sure of the model sorry, 4 door, square thing....) I bought for $1,500 CDN.
So... When I get my S in Spring of next year, it will look like this;

Buick Sedan?(4dr) 1995 - $1,500 CDN (Used)
Tesla P90DL 2016 - ~$165k CDN (New)

Difference of only $163,500 CDN!
Oh **** yeah bud!

Retired it a few years ago, but my last car was a used Buick (not sure of the model sorry, 4 door, square thing....) I bought for $1,500 CDN.

Oh **** yeah bud!
Wow, and I thought I had the record going from $14000 to $105000!

That's one heck of a jump!

1999 Saab 9-3 Convertible - purchased 1999: $39k
2013 Chevy Volt (loaded - all options) - leased 2012: $42k ($378/mo)
2013 CPO Tesla Model S P85 - purchased 2015: $68.3k

Tesla seemed crazy expensive at the time, but nothing compared to the rest of this thread. $25k increase overall.

2007 Hyundai Tiburon Fully Loaded - $23k

2000 Toyota Camry V4 - $3k

2000 Toyota Camry V6 - $2.5k

2015 (December Delivery) 70D - $83.5k
Difference - $81k

I kept trying to get cheaper and cheaper cars to save my money. Took a MS test drive for fun and became addicted. My wife had to beg me to spend that much on a car because she was tired of driving around in beater cars.

Oh **** yeah bud!

In 1995 Buick had three "full size" sedans:

LeSabre - The smallest and the same chassis used for the large cars from Chevy and Pontiac, front wheel drive V-6
Park Avenue - Stretched LeSabre, more luxurious
Roadmaster - V-8 rear wheel drive car that looked like a police car.

In this exercise I'm a little unclear on the criteria. Do you use what you paid for your car or what the car is worth when you upgrade to a Model S? I haven't ordered my Model S yet, but my car is worth 1/10 what I originally paid for it.

My last car was a (is a) 2012 Chevy Volt. Currently in the process of moving to a Model S (CPO). Volt was originally about $40K, which itself was by far the most expensive car I had ever bought at the time. My Tesla budget is around $65K to $70K. So probably about +25K. Never thought I would spend over $40K on a car, but with Tesla, it's different.