Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New P100d model S failed!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sounds like communication issues between 12V and main battery pack, but service center still awaiting central input to determine cause. Hopefully next week I'll know, if it's more serious I'll request buyback
Most of the time when something fails on a new car it gets fixed and it doesn't happens again. It just happens to be that the part that failed on your car had a severe cause. Best of luck that it was just something small and you can start enjoying your car again.

Reactions: EVie'sDad
Sounds like communication issues between 12V and main battery pack, but service center still awaiting central input to determine cause. Hopefully next week I'll know, if it's more serious I'll request buyback

You might want to check your state's lemon law. I do feel your pain, as my S75 was spitting out DAFU errors within 48 hours of delivery. All is fine now but nothing compared to what you're going through. Yes, good luck and keep us updated.

Here ya go:
pic

Interesting. First time I've seen a D frunk fully labelled. Have you had a refresh S apart to see how they rearranged things?

Presumably the air filter moved front and center (at the rear of the Frunk) like the X one, at least on Premium cars?

People still having 12 volt battery problems?
Seems Tesla has had plenty of time to fix that. Mine failed at 18months, fortunately giving me a warning rather than a shut down. Why don't they use a Ni Mh battery which last a long time in Prius? Lead acid batteries have a shortish life span on ICE but over 18 months.

Prius has a lead acid 12v, the NiMh was the big pack which is equivalent to the Lithium Ion pack in a Tesla.

And fwiw Nissan and Toyota both have 12v issues all the time. I have a Prius and a Leaf and have replaced the OEM 12v on both due to failures.

• Informative
Reactions: TexasTeslaRacing
Why does the car even need a 12v battery when there is all that power reserve in the main battery pack. Can't that power the system too?

It's a safety feature, the 12v supplies power to a motor that disconnects the main pack so that first responders don't get electrocuted cutting you out of a wreck. Nothing is 100% but when the system works properly turning off the car disconnects the main pack. Turning the car on reconnects the main pack.

• Informative
I spoke to service today, and the report is one of the communication points between the main battery pack and 12V was malfunctioning, leading to system shutdown. Hopefully my rear motor is OK, as they think that is the problem. This news has me worried though, as that was the original error on my dash. Damn...

• Informative
12 volt battery warning
This is becoming a regular and wholly unwanted concern. My error message started about 4 weeks ago and I contacted Tesla. This will be the third replacement in 42 months! (2013 85Kw with 72000 Kms no winter driving)

To add insult to injury the tech that called me this week "suggested" that a ranger call would cost me at least $700-$800. When I pressed them with the "what happened to the $100 service charge as per my original agreement", they said the rules had changed.

I politely suggested that a $700, 12 volt battery is not an option. They said it was because of my location (Winnipeg, MB). I told them that I can drive to Minneapolis in a day to have it changed for less than $700.

Still waiting for a resolution. Is anybody else feeling the "chill" with respect to service? My 48 months is up next April and will want to extend the warranty but it seems that they are trying to change the rules.

• Informative
Reactions: Falkirk
Prius has a lead acid 12v, the NiMh was the big pack which is equivalent to the Lithium Ion pack in a Tesla.

And fwiw Nissan and Toyota both have 12v issues all the time. I have a Prius and a Leaf and have replaced the OEM 12v on both due to failures.

This is correct. I've had to replace the 12v battery in my 05 prius once and my coworkers '12 leaf needed a 12v battery replacement last month as well. The only car (as far as I know, correct me if im wrong) without a 12v battery is the hyundai ioniq. It uses a dc/dc step down to to decrease voltage from the HV battery pack to 12v.

• Helpful
Reactions: GoTslaGo
The only car (as far as I know, correct me if im wrong) without a 12v battery is the hyundai ioniq. It uses a dc/dc step down to to decrease voltage from the HV battery pack to 12v.

So the Ioniq has the High Voltage/traction battery connected at all times? Isn't that dangerous? Tesla turns the HV battery on and off via a contactor and it is disconnected whenever the car is off. Tesla has a DC/DC step down as well, and it's active when the car is on. This is used to run the accessories. The Tesla 12V battery is there to close the contactor, connect to the internet and listen for the keyfob.