Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New P100DL makes xxx HP at the battery!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well it was already 1.61 with a V1 P90DL and P85DL.

If someone wants to send me a vbo(vbox) or dbn(pbox) files for some V2 runs, that would good. I have to imagine the P100D would be around 1.25.
Your answer is at 2:28 of this Dragtimes video. Looks like 50 to 70 mph for P90DL refresh is 1.5 second. And keep in mind that he has the "slow" one since his only runs 11.03 second at 1/4 mile. Tesla Racing Channel's P90DL refresh runs 10.80 second at 1/4 mile. So it is safe to say that the quickest P90DL runs around 1.4 second to go from 50 to 70 mph.

I'll bet a taco that the 1088792-00-C battery is 100kWh. That's what TRC supposedly has. What FikseGTS tested was not the same as what TRC had and measured lower. Closer to what I and a few other of our 'V2' batteries have. You can further see this where both FikseGTS and I can't crack into 10's on these batteries where TRC could potentially snag a 10.7x pass. There is also someone who posted his brand new 'P90DL' had a range of 312mi. It's unconfirmed but the numbers correlate damn well.
I seriously doubt TRC's P90DL has 100 kwh battery. Elon and JB said in the call that the 100 kwh battery has significant difference in battery pack architecture and cooling system than 90 kwh battery. Tesla won't give this 100 kwh battery to P90DL cars for free.

I guess its pretty easy to figure out the maximum power at the battery this time, since the cell hasn't changed.

So there should be a direct correlation between power and energy. Now we don't exactly know how much more energy it has, but since the range has gone up 16.66% and assuming that they didn't change anything else but the battery, I'd assume the new pack could make up to 595kW, which would mean that the Model S would be power limited by its motors, rather than its battery.

Could be wrong, but thats my best guess.

Edit: Forgot that the motor isn't 100% efficient, so probably still battery limited, since the motors combined output is something like 560kW, if I remember correctly.

I seriously doubt TRC's P90DL has 100 kwh battery. Elon and JB said in the call that the 100 kwh battery has significant difference in battery pack architecture and cooling system than 90 kwh battery. Tesla won't give this 100 kwh battery to P90DL cars for free.

Tesla already has a history of doing this. Take a look at the current S60. Yep, 75kWh battery. Also the last few s70 cars were actually 75kWh batteries as well. The fact of the matter is that it's more expensive to maintain two separate manufacturing processes than it is to let a few new batteries out the door with a software lock. I'm just speculating and have no proof. What I am saying is that it would be interesting if someone measured the voltage of a 108x battery at 0%.

Reactions: ggnykk
the label on the battery said 60kWh, but it was really a 75kWh?

Tesla already has a history of doing this. Take a look at the current S60. Yep, 75kWh battery. Also the last few s70 cars were actually 75kWh batteries as well. The fact of the matter is that it's more expensive to maintain two separate manufacturing processes than it is to let a few new batteries out the door with a software lock. I'm just speculating and have no proof. What I am saying is that it would be interesting if someone measured the voltage of a 108x battery at 0%.

I thought @TIppy already did that measurement no?

I am referring to this: The refreshed Tesla Model S 70 lets you pay to 'unlock' a bigger battery
I don't know If has looked.

the label on the battery said 60kWh, but it was really a 75kWh?

That's a good question. I know someone measured 100% but I am unaware of someone who has measured 0%. Really, I am just trying to wrap my brain around why the 1088792-00-C battery seems to be soo much more powerful then the 107x batteries. Something is different about that pack that allowed TRC to get a 10.80 when @fiksegts and myself cant crack 10's at all.

I thought @TIppy already did that measurement no?

Last edited:
Reactions: ggnykk
I am referring to this: The refreshed Tesla Model S 70 lets you pay to 'unlock' a bigger battery
I don't know If has looked.

That's a good question. I know someone measured 100% but I am unaware of someone who has measured 0%. Really, I am just trying to wrap my brain around why the 1088792-00-C battery seems to be soo much more powerful then the 107x batteries. Something is different about that pack that allowed TRC to get a 10.80 when @fiksegts and myself cant crack 10's at all.
Yep, your right. He measured it at 100% if I remember correctly.

Tesla states that 45 to 65 mph is 1.2 second for P100DL.
Just measured my p90dl with can bus. The 45 to 65 was 1.24 secs during a 0 to 70 run.

No way they'd use the top 10 to 100% of a 100kwh pack. Plus you have to swap packs for an upgrade.

Sag improvements could be from removing resistance in the path from the cells to the motor.

Trc has the same pack as I do: 1088792-00-A.

Last edited:
Just measured my p90dl with can bus. The 45 to 65 was 1.24 secs.

No way they'd use the top 10 to 100% of a 100kw pack. Plus you have to swap packs for an upgrade.

Sag improvements could be from removing resistance in the path from the cells to the motor.

Maybe. Keeping a Li-Ion at or near 100% is not nearly as bad as 0%. Also, from a PXXD perspective, the customer paid for the performance so why not allow the top bit to be used. That said, it's also entirely possible that the difference between the 100kW and newest 90kW packs are blanks in certain places. We know there was a redesign at some point. I'd bet that at the very least the 108 pack is a product of that redesign.

Maybe. Keeping a Li-Ion at or near 100% is not nearly as bad as 0%. Also, from a PXXD perspective, the customer paid for the performance so why not allow the top bit to be used. That said, it's also entirely possible that the difference between the 100kW and newest 90kW packs are blanks in certain places. We know there was a redesign at some point. I'd bet that at the very least the 108 pack is a product of that redesign.
P90D customers didn't pay as much as P100D customers. If there is any advantage, shouldn't it go the the P100D customers.
fiksegts didn't see much of a difference in performance all the way down at 80% SOC. And I think Elon said that minimum internal resistance is at 90% SOC.
The supercharger charging rate is much slower at the top 10%. Using the lower 90% would allow P90D customers to charge to full capacity all the time.

I tend to agree that the 1088 packs benefited from the P100D design.

Last edited:
P90D customers didn't pay as much as P100D customers. If there is any advantage, shouldn't it go the the P100D customers.
fiksegts didn't see much of a difference in performance all the way down at 80% SOC. And I think Elon said that minimum internal resistance is at 90% SOC.
The supercharger charging rate is much slower at the top 10%. Using the lower 90% would allow P90D customers to charge to full capacity all the time.

I tend to agree that the 1088 packs benefited from the P100D design.

All of this is true but there are many undocumented changes to the P90DL and thus, performance is all over the place. It's entirely possible for any of these situations to be reality.

Reactions: NSX1992 and msnow
All things are possible considering flying monkeys, butts and such. But I see I'll have to run my battery down to zero and measure the voltage to convince you.

I appreciate your candor and willingness to gather datapoints :)

I had a hard time grasping all this myself when I first started looking into the history of the P90DL. This version of the Model S seems to be quite different than the others in regards to performance and the information forthcoming from Tesla.

I guess its pretty easy to figure out the maximum power at the battery this time, since the cell hasn't changed.

So there should be a direct correlation between power and energy. Now we don't exactly know how much more energy it has, but since the range has gone up 16.66% and assuming that they didn't change anything else but the battery, I'd assume the new pack could make up to 595kW, which would mean that the Model S would be power limited by its motors, rather than its battery.

Could be wrong, but thats my best guess.

Edit: Forgot that the motor isn't 100% efficient, so probably still battery limited, since the motors combined output is something like 560kW, if I remember correctly.
That's a great assumption. I hope it is true. Tesla is finally motor limited rather than battery.