TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

New P3D+ brake squeak. Normal?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Driving Dynamics' started by Brnn, Sep 21, 2019.

1. Brnn

Brnn Member

Hi guys, just picked up a P3D+ yesterday. When coming to a complete stop the brakes make quite a loud squeak at that last 1mph point. Is this normal, and it'll go away after some break in? If not, will maybe bedding the brakes take care of it? Appreciate any advice!

2. beastmode13

beastmode13 Supporting Member

Squeak happens to any and all cars, especially when the pads are new. Try this.
    1. Set regen to low
    2. Drive to 40mph
    3. Quick Jab on the brake to slow car down to 25-30mph. Release brake quickly once low speed is reached
    4. Repeat 2 more times.
    5. Drive car around for 5min without using brake with regen on normal.

3. Drizzle

Drizzle Member

Happens to mine but only on the first break out of the driveway each day.

4. Hawnboy

Hawnboy Member

Same here...happened again this morning. But really, it's not a big deal. One small squeak maybe once or twice in a two week period, not a problem.

5. gcmak

gcmak Member

Bedding in our brakes aren't required but it doesn't hurt. As someone also suggested, in a safe area, do some repeated firm braking sessions (with regen turned to low). That will scrub off any rust/debris between the pad and rotor. If it continues to make noise, consider contacting service if it's just as loud as before.

I feel that my brake pedal feel and brake noise (there isn't any except the normal friction sound) dramatically improved after a few 50-10 mph brake cycles. I'm kind of used to doing this or even more extreme brake pad break-in procedures on performance/race pads and it helps to properly bond the rotor to the pad (in addition to some other benefits that probably don't apply to our stock brake pads but do apply to more race oriented pads).

6. thewishmaster

thewishmaster Member

Same, though mine usually sits a few days between drives.