Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New P85 driveunit, slower car, what power should I be seeing in powertools?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,

I had a post about needing my driveunit (inverter, side mounts, the whole shebang 2014 P85) replaced last week since it died on me in the middle of a busy road. Looking through the part numbers it appears I got the P revision drive unit so I was pumped (not an old refurbished one). However when I got the car, I noticed right away that the throttle response was not the same and it almost felt like the car was driving through mud, just slower than before. With my previous driveunit, the rear end would wiggle under heavy acceleration but barely at all now.
Thinking that it could all be in my head, I downloaded the Powertools app to see what my max KWh were and to try to do some 0-60 tests. Just flooring it around going from 30-70 etc, I would max out at 319 and then I was able to do a couple of 0-60 runs at about 75% Soc. First run was slightly up hill and I got 4.8 seconds and the second was flat and I got 4.2 seconds. Max KWh was 322. So while technically within spec at 4.2 it still feels way slower. I have read about others getting into the 350s in KWh in their P85. What have you all with a P85 seen? I am wondering if any of you with the revision P Driveunit have run the same test compared to your previous driveunit.
My thought is that Tesla found a way to make the new drive unit's stronger but at the same time are limiting the power versus before to keep them technically in spec but still slower in general to last longer. No more 3.9 sec 0-60...

322kw (kwh is a storage mesurement) sounds about right especially if your battery was only 80% full, if your battery was at 100% you would see more power and maybe hit 3.9 0-60mph (96.56kph) in ideal conditions. The car will only give you as much power as the tyres can put down before traction control will cut power so if your tyres or road surface are no good, you may lose a few kw. If I remember correctly the p85 motor is rated at 310kw so if you factor in drive train losses, somewhere around the 320 to 350kw at the battery. My 75du will sometimes show only 320kw on Powertools but I've had it show 351kw, I believe it comes down to road surface and traction control. Rear wheel drive are more likely to limit power.
Maybe try engaging slip start before you launch

322kw (kwh is a storage mesurement) sounds about right especially if your battery was only 80% full, if your battery was at 100% you would see more power and maybe hit 3.9 0-60mph (96.56kph) in ideal conditions. The car will only give you as much power as the tyres can put down before traction control will cut power so if your tyres or road surface are no good, you may lose a few kw. If I remember correctly the p85 motor is rated at 310kw so if you factor in drive train losses, somewhere around the 320 to 350kw at the battery. My 75du will sometimes show only 320kw on Powertools but I've had it show 351kw, I believe it comes down to road surface and traction control. Rear wheel drive are more likely to limit power.
Maybe try engaging slip start before you launch
Ok. That is a good point, I did not do the runs with traction control off.

With traction off it's difficult for me to move forward, the car just burns tires. Charge to 100% and do a hard run - at 100% I get a little tail wiggle for most of a 0-60. Maybe all of it with traction off, I've never tried that.

How's the weather in VA? I know I get what feels like less power in cold weather, I assume the battery is just more sluggish.

What was the temp outside and how far did you drive the car?
I haven't owned my car but a 5-6 months so I am no expert but I think I can feel the battery being sluggish from cold temps even when regen is not limited which is the most obvious sign of a cold battery. I live in a colder climate though.

With traction off it's difficult for me to move forward, the car just burns tires. Charge to 100% and do a hard run - at 100% I get a little tail wiggle for most of a 0-60. Maybe all of it with traction off, I've never tried that.

How's the weather in VA? I know I get what feels like less power in cold weather, I assume the battery is just more sluggish.
It was probably 30-40 degrees that night. I also wonder if it has something to do with the tire pressure. They checked my tires as a complementary service before leaving the shop. The shop is 70 degrees and its about 30 outside so the PSI could have dropped but I would assume that would give me more traction, better performance and worse efficiency.
I was concerned because I saw a thread where someone had the same experience after a driveunit failure, but they had it replaced again after it failed the second time and they said the 3rd drive unit was back to how fast they remember the original (snap your neck fast).
I am just going to live with it for now and see what I get when the weather warms up and I can do it with a higher charge.
Thanks.

I have a new drive unit in my p85(2012) with 100k miles on it. (One month ago)

My car definitely feels slower as well. Normally with traction control on with 265s and sticky tires I would get some traction breaking loose.. definitely do not get the initial shove(aka tq) like I did. Grrr