Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New P85D owner has questions of other P85D owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you have snows or an aggressive all season on 19" and then a UHP 21" tire neither is going to optimize range.

Different car but on the wife's old Impala swapping from the original LRR Uniroyal tires to a Goodyear not LRR rated and good I snow but not a true snow caused a 10% hit to economy.

Check your tire pressure. When my wife’s Inventory (1,100 Miles) S100D was delivered, tire pressure was set to spec in the heated garage. It was November in Chicago. Got on the road and pressure was 3 psi low.

Consider going 3 psi above driver door pillar setting, if it’s below tire sidewall max.

Thank you all for your thoughtful replies and time spent writing them. You have really put my mind at ease.

Now that I’ve had the car a few more days, I have experimented with it at a higher state of charge and under warmer conditions. The car is multitudes faster when warm, and power consumption seems the worst the first few miles when cold. My tire wear is fine and psi is 38 all around. I’m going to put the summer tires back on in a couple weeks and will see if that makes much of a difference.

Hank’s assertion that the vibration I’m feeling is the lane departure warning was an epiphany. I will turn that setting off to see if that fixes it. I would have assumed the warning to be some sort of chime. Thanks Hank.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
TMy tire wear is fine and psi is 38 all around.
Disclaimers:
- Our Model S isn't a "P" model.
- Our Model S has 19" wheels, not 21" wheels.

38 PSI seems low for a Tesla. There are several threads on P85D 21" tire pressure, many from 2015 asserting that Tesla shifted to 45 psi cold after a brief period of 50 psi. For example,
Tesla Updated Tire Pressure Guideline to 50 PSI for 21" Tires?

Would definitely consider higher tire pressure if you end up loving Ludicrous mode as much as other Tesla P model owners have,

FWIW, driver's door pillar placard for our S100D (manufactured mid-2017, 19" wheels) reads 45 psi. I aim for 48 - 50 psi cold tire pressure. Reasons, in priority order:
- Range.
- Handling.
- Firmer ride. SAS still smoothes out the handful of extra psi. My wife's expectations were set by her first car, a Fiat 124 Sport Coupe - their answer to BMW 2002 tii. I imprinted on my dad's Triumph. A half-century ago, the expression was, "If I run over a coin I can tell whether it's a dime or a quarter. But ride's not firm enough that I could tell you heads or tails."

Reactions: HankLloydRight