Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Pack Architecture that is Likely Used in P100D and New TE Products

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems to me that most people using "LiPo" terminology are referring to lithium polymer gelled electrolyte, and ususlly cobalt based chemistries:
Maybe it's because I only discuss in the EV context but I mostly see "LiPo" being used to describe LiFePo4. Lithium cobalt LiPo is pretty much nonexistent in the EV world (although there are those that use prismatic).

While there is lab research in to polymer "plasticized" batteries, it appears that cells available on the market today billed as "LiPo" or "Li-Poly" are speaking primarily as a pouch format cell using a gelled electrolyte:

Further discussion that they aren't really a unique chemistry, but based on existing chemistries:

Thus you it would seem you can't really lump all Li-Poly together, but rather you'd need to compare specific chemistries.

For example, here are some comparisons of several different Li-ion chemistries:

Comparison of Types of Li-ion Cells

It demonstrates that power density, energy density, cost, cycle life, thermal stability, etc... are require a careful balance for a specific usage...
You bring up a good point. What do people mean when they say LiPo?
1) "true" Lithium-Polymer using a solid polymer electrolyte (in modern use this is typically not what people mean)
2) Lithium-ion using a polymer pouch and polymer gelled electrolyte or an electrolyte with polymer additive
3) Lithium-ion using a polymer pouch and standard liquid electrolyte
4) Lithium-ion using a polymer coated pouch (for example aluminum but not pure polymer) and standard liquid electrolyte
5) Any lithium-ion pouch cell (regardless of design)

I would just stick to saying pouch cell if meaning just any pouch cell.

Reactions: scaesare
Agreed. "Prismatic" is also typically used for that, although for precision's sake I might prefer if that meant a hard casing, and pouch a soft casing... but I'm not sure there is any such distinction.
Yes, when I say prismatic, I usually mean a hard casing, but I know technically it includes pouch cells.

I guess it's three main categories:
cylindrical
hard prismatic
soft pouch

• Helpful
Reactions: hiroshiy
If people missed the other thread, this is NOT the cooling architecture of the 100 packs.

Pics/Info: Inside the Tesla 100 kWh Battery Pack

That is perhaps even more interesting/exciting than if the X/MS100 pack would have the new features discussed in this thread. That would mean... that the new design will first surface with the model 3.

Who will be the first to wreck their Model 3 for wk057 to examine it?

• Funny
Reactions: MP3Mike
Just because there is a patent does mean it will ever be used.

You are right of course. I should have prefaced my post with a qualifier like "potentially". But the patent is on the other hand not that groundbreaking or beyond the fray, but a rather practical, incremental improvement. So perhaps more likely to be used in real life, in contrast to (on the other hand of the spectrum) a patent for the first functional perpetuum mobile :)

You are right of course. I should have prefaced my post with a qualifier like "potentially". But the patent is on the other hand not that groundbreaking or beyond the fray, but a rather practical, incremental improvement. So perhaps more likely to be used in real life, in contrast to (on the other hand of the spectrum) a patent for the first functional perpetuum mobile :)

It kinda makes sense, in retrospect. To make this patent work on 18650 cells, they'd have to introduce a cell variant with both terminals on the top, right?

That'd mean a separate, dedicated line if cell production just for 100kWh pack modules - not a hassle Tesla needs right now.

Whereas it makes sense to start over for a new cell anyway - probably all the 2170 packs in all the various cars will use the top only terminals and heat pipe architecture.

It does make we wonder where the extra highway efficiency on the P100Ds comes from, though.

I don't think so. It's supposed to be miles driven over power from the wall - battery capacity shows up in the range, but shouldn't affect the efficiency number.

That is what I recall EPA procedure is - the MPGe is calculated based on actual miles driven over the defined road course, after the car fully charged and until the battery is fully depleted (car stops moving).

Teardown of new 100 kWh Tesla battery pack reveals new cooling system and 102 kWh capacity

Looks like the battery technology is not so different from the 90kWh pack vs the 100kWh pack... just 2 additional cooling loops :cool:

Hughes’ teardown of the pack revealed that the new modules have 516 cells for a total of 8,256 cells per pack. That’s a ~16% increase over the number of cells in the 85/90 kWh packs. In a blog post, Hughes describes the new module and cooling architecture:

Basically they crammed a couple more rows of cells into the module. But what about the rumors around cooling? Well, they did modify the cooling, but not in any exotic way. The new modules simply have two shorter and thinner cooling loops per module. This way the coolant doesn’t have to run past so many cells before exiting. And he shared a few pictures (the one on the left is a comparison of a module from a 85 kWh pack (top) vs a module from a 100 kWh (bottom)):

upload_2017-1-24_20-15-3.png

If people missed the other thread, this is NOT the cooling architecture of the 100 packs.

Pics/Info: Inside the Tesla 100 kWh Battery Pack

Thank you for the link/heads-up. This is very interesting.

Now I am wondering if they did do some minor tweaking to the chemistry of cells to improve supercharging. If cooling not much different and extra heat load is handled just by having two loops instead of one some changes had to b made to increase SOC at which supercharging start to taper. May be this is why Tesla's VP of investor's relationships clarified in his e-mail that Tesla used "essentially the same cell".

How many 18650 are produced per year?
2.55 billion in 2013 divided by 7,000 = about 364,000
We know they didn't make that many Tesla battery packs that year, right?
more details below link

Types of Battery Cells; Cylindrical Cell, Button Cell, Pouch Cell

So 18650 cell format will probably be around long after Tesla stops using them, which hasn't happened yet, and I suspect won't happen until a major Model S or X manufacturing update. And many, many applications would have no compelling reason to change as the chemistries have always improved the 18650 performance.

I hope they do 1 or 2 million Model S before a major change is needed. Citroen DS made for 20 years about 1.5 million produced. Now that would be a way to maximize profits. Aren't great cars worth a couple of million copies being made? Even my Saab 900 they made about 1 million.
Have fun checking out this Wikipedia page, great history.
List of automobile sales by model - Wikipedia