Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Pack Architecture that is Likely Used in P100D and New TE Products

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It has been, yes. The discussion on this thread is about how Tesla is handling that in the new implementation related to the patent in the first post, which shows all the wire replaced by a printed circuit board.

Yes, so I'm agreeing with you then :) Not sure who suggested the spot-weld as a fuse? It is more likely that the traces on the flexible circuit board are constricted at certain points thereby acting as built in fuses. Or perhaps surface mounted micro-fuses, but that would be less elegant and add two solder points.

Interesting thread!

It appears that P100D pack supercharging is significantly better than supercharging of P90D pack: P100D SuperCharging Rate

It is very difficult to conclude this from a single charging session. If you look at the link I posted in reply to you, you will notice the 90D is charging faster than the 90D in the referenced thread. The 100D charges slightly faster, but not significantly.

Today's cold weather and associated battery decrease in function leads me to ask: can these be used to warm cold batteries? If not, won't a battery pack still need a heat pump during cold weather?

Heat pipes will always flow energy from hotter to colder. If you introduce a bunch of warm coolant into the central channel, the pipes will distribute it out to the cells.

Heat pipes will always flow energy from hotter to colder. If you introduce a bunch of warm coolant into the central channel, the pipes will distribute it out to the cells.

To add to this, the patent explicitly mentiones both cooling and heating via heat pipes.

So, as Saghost indicated, pumping heated coolant through the central channel will reverse condensing and evaporating ends of the heat pipe, and, therefore will facilitate heating of battery cells.

Do heat pipes not use fluid density to transport vapor to a "higher" point in the system where it is cooled, condensed and then allowed to "fall" back down to a "lower" part in the system? It was my understanding that passive phase shift heat pipes were designed to work in one direction.

Do heat pipes not use fluid density to transport vapor to a "higher" point in the system where it is cooled, condensed and then allowed to "fall" back down to a "lower" part in the system? It was my understanding that passive phase shift heat pipes were designed to work in one direction.

Heat pipes can work in both directions. See this video that was linked in the original post.

Early systems did. More recent ones have a capillary membrane sponge inside - the gaseous working fluid condenses at the coldest point, and the capillary membrane wicks it out to everywhere in the system, where the hottest point evaporates it. At least, that's what I've read.

No. The increased capacity due to the increased diameter of the individual cells is exactly matched by the decrease in the number of cells that will fit in a given area.

This is true, but I think there's more to it than this.

The wall thickness in a 2170 likely constitutes a smaller proportion of the cell diameter than it does in an 18650. In other words, they're probably using a similarly thick wall in both cells, so a larger proportion of the diameter is actual energy storing substrate in a 2170. My guess is a 2-3% gain would be possible here.

Reactions: Matias
It looks like the new battery architecture that was mentioned by Elon and JB used in P100D pack is outlined in US Patent Application Publication US 2015/0244036 A1 titled ENERGY STORAGE SYSTEM WITH HEAT PIPE THERMAL MANAGEMENT.

This earlier Tesla patent application appears to give details of the printed-circuit used in this system, including the use of narrowed traces a fusible links:
Patent US20140212695 - Flexible printed circuit as high voltage interconnect in battery modules

I found it relevant.

If the cells are truly only cooled from one side, and this is what a P100D pack looks like, look for significant heat related degradation as one end of the battery runs much hotter than the other end. One it's just hotter but two there will be uneven thermal stresses across both the anode and cathode. Maybe we'll have to have a customer subsidized study to find that out.

If the cells are truly only cooled from one side, and this is what a P100D pack looks like, look for significant heat related degradation as one end of the battery runs much hotter than the other end. One it's just hotter but two there will be uneven thermal stresses across both the anode and cathode. Maybe we'll have to have a customer subsidized study to find that out.

Majority of competitors also have bottom cooling for the battery pack. It is more robust than cooling using ducts between the rows of the cells. Since one side of the cell needs to be used for the terminals/connections, bottom cooling is the best way to cool the packs.

What is your point?

Last edited:
Would there really be that much of a difference if the thermal conductivity of the cell walls are good and they design the cell cap to reduce heating? Even in the old design, probably only 1/4 of the cell was in contact with the coolant pipe (edit: it's actually way less than 1/4, it's more like 7.6% because the cooling tube is only 30mm tall and from the curvature only 68 degrees of the cylinder is in contact).

Last edited: