Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Paint Colors?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd like to see Tesla get into Custom Factory Paint like they did for me and about a half dozen others before they decided to quit. When the first Sigs came out, there was only one color, red, and then black, grey (silver), and white. I was not willing to do that. I ended up paying significantly for my own choice of color, but I have never been sorry.

I had been told that the grey was going to be more at a gunmetal. Didn't happen.

I have seen gorgeous Taupes, Ivory, Beautiful Blues, Forest Green, Moss Green, Gray blues, Pale pale yellows, and although I am not a red fan, the candy apple they did on the alpha was the most gorgeous red I have seen.

Problem is, their choices are made by people who aren't really color conscious. If they had a Custom Factory Paint, and people could pick from the hundreds of really beautiful colors from PPG or other, and of course be charged for it, you'd see some pretty neat colors. As it is, most humans don't care a whole bunch, so choose Silver (#1), White (#2) or Black (#3). Also, the Dealer Franchise Model tells you that the colors that we have on the lot are what you can choose from, so take your pick. So you pick what the dealer thinks will sell.

Either that, or have Tesla do an official poll, and have people vote for their favorites, based on what the people that buy Teslas would actually like, from a choice of available Automotive Paints. Of course, they can still offer black, grey and white for the colorblind or non caring masses.

If I had not chosen my color, I could have had a P85+, and maybe some other goodies thrown in, but the first thing people say when they see my car is, "I love your color". That's as hard to beat as 0-60 in 3.9 sec.

View attachment 46120

Well said and beautiful color choice. I am not familiar with the technical issues/costs of having a full range of colors to choose from but I am sure it could be a profit center if TM chose to make it one.

Wouldn't they have to set up a separate paint line? I don't think they would be willing to shut down the paint line for only a few cars a month.

What they did was to take the body and to-be-painted parts to a paint shop, paint them, and return them for factory assembly. That's the key: no one has to dis-assemble the car to re-paint it, no parts need be destroyed, paint is under windows, pano roofs (why not rooves??!), etc. The actual paint is not the issue.

A paint robot could be programmed, primed, etc., or the parts could be taken to another area to be painted *by hand*, at the factory, even. As it is, the robots are programmed for each of the 10 or so colors. Robots are not bright enough to be able to paint any color, evidently, but humans are. Yes, another paint line, but easily doable, and unless they give us the same colors for the MX and ME as on the MS, they will be doing a lot of switching or adding paint robots.

I think it could be doable, and desirable, and profitable.

A $$$$$ question....I'll make it stultifyingly boring, but for a reason:

If we envision a current situation with Fremont Paint Room set up for X number of paint colors, then how much would it cost to add, for example, dsm363's "static paint room" plus rearrange the production sequence to satisfy those who desire different colors? I don't know the answer, but let's call is $X. And if Y are the number of vehicles per unit time (call it "one year") that undergo this special treatment, then the additional cost per vehicle, if borne ONLY BY THOSE VEHICLES, would be $X/Y - minus a bit of a time factor because in fairness the cost of the fixed unit would be amortized over much longer than one year.

At any rate, of most important concern is to compare that $X/Y by how much it takes Mr. I NeedToBeDifferent to take his own Tesla over to ReallyFantasticAutoPaintJobs R Us and have them paint his new car. Can it really be the case that Tesla Motors can compete with this? I'm going to suspect not.

...and I have lust in my heart for that gorgeous bronze-gold color shown earlier here......

could maybe have a 'paint to match' ordering system for a slightly higher cost. It works for other exotics? or better yet, do all cars 'in white' and then have them wrapped...if you tire of the color, the service center can change it out for you. :wink:

I completely agree on the black, basically black, basically black comment. I really wanted something closer to cobalt, lemans, etc. Something that looks blue even if you're not parked outside in the sun at noon.

I would love to see a metallic black.
Maintaining a swirl and water spot free finish on my black takes very careful attention, something that none of the colors easily show.

A $$$$$ question....I'll make it stultifyingly boring, but for a reason:

At any rate, of most important concern is to compare that $X/Y by how much it takes Mr. I NeedToBeDifferent to take his own Tesla over to ReallyFantasticAutoPaintJobs R Us and have them paint his new car. Can it really be the case that Tesla Motors can compete with this? I'm going to suspect not.

When I got my car painted custom at the factory, I had looked around for other ways to get the job done. I didn't check PaintJobsRUs, because I've seen his work. When people who did really nice paint jobs told me that they have to ruin trim and moulding, break windows, spend hours un building and re building your car to do it right, the price was just about exactly what Tesla charged for factory paint.

If Tesla decides to re do factory paint, I for one will be happy. They need a better choice of blue and green and brown. There are a lot of us who care. And there are a lot of us who can see the difference between PaintRUS and Tesla Factory. Some don't care, and they can get it done somewhere else for less. You get what you pay for.

We have a paint shop near here, "Miracle". We say, "If it looks good, It's a Miracle".

Just wondering if Tesla plans on coming out with any new paint colors in the near future?

What colors would you like to see?

I think a few:
1. A true bright "BMW Titanium Silver" like color would be cool.
2. And just please keep the bright white! Like that (hehehe).

Driving to work yesterday I really looked at cars passing around me (as I drove my rental car waiting here for my MS to delivery). Seems like most cars lately are blank, dark grey, dark silver, and all those serious colors. I really didn't seen a ton of white anymore on the freeway. Saw the dark reds/maroons a few times. All that seems to be the most common right now. Blue, green, brown, no so much, followed by white lately.

They should have a program like Dodge's 1 of 1 program for the Viper. Choose a standard color of one of 8,000 custom colors for both body and stripes.
Dodge Viper, 1 of 1
I have never seen a car manufaturer offer something similar straight from the factory. It seems as a 10 or 15k$ option they could at least break even.

I was watching TV the other day and there was a bit about KIA, you know, the luxury car maker. They were showing that they paint EVERY car as custom. Whichever color the computer says for VIN # xxxxx, the computer cleans and primes the computerized spray arms, and car xxxxx is yellow, the next is black, the next blue. You evidently DON'T need a separate paint room or paint line. Every car gets whatever color, and the computer changes the colors and fixes the spray lines.

Of course, Tesla could do this. Of course, it is probably cheaper to paint 10 cars in a row black, but when they increase the factory size to make 200,000 cars a year, you would think they could add a larger color choice. KIA paints about 200 cars an hour, and probably uses paint that Tesla wouldn't use, but it's still a computerized spray arm, or should be. (You think they are still using Miguel back there in the paint room?? Quien sabe.)