Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Petition to White House Requesting Direct Tesla Sales in All States

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
signed... but only 15 days left and it still needs over 98,000:scared:

If it weren't so cotton pickin complicated to sign the petition.

Sign in or register. Type in secret code. Go to email. Copy and paste to browser. Return to to web site and vote. My wife couldn't figure it out. How many others are put off by this?

And how in the world do they expect to get votes from just a thread on a forum?? Most people here don't respond. Probably hundreds of lurkers, hardly any responders. Of course they won't get the votes.

If it weren't so cotton pickin complicated to sign the petition.

Sign in or register. Type in secret code. Go to email. Copy and paste to browser. Return to to web site and vote. My wife couldn't figure it out. How many others are put off by this?

And how in the world do they expect to get votes from just a thread on a forum?? Most people here don't respond. Probably hundreds of lurkers, hardly any responders. Of course they won't get the votes.

once you are registered, the site will remember you and then it is one click to sign in and sign the petition. it's just like registering for this forum, you have to verify who you are via email before you can participate.

Call me naive, but why set this up to fail again?
Why post this with such a short end date on it again??
Why not set this up for success, to give it more time to get the signatures needed???

i could be wrong but i don't think they have a choice, i think the standard time frame is 30 days from the day you submit the petition. that is how they can filter out petitions that are getting the public's attention. if you can't get 100,000 signatures in 30 days, then they know there is not enough public interest to take a look at the issue.

@Leilani

I am not American and so I cannot sign the petition but I agree with you. Anyway I thought that the American laws concerning free market allowed Tesla to sell directly to consumers.

Actually, I don't believe you have to be a "US person" (citizen or lawful resident) to sign the petition. And foreigners even have their own senate representative: the Vice President! I wrote to Al Gore a couple of times from Australia. Never bothered with Dick Cheney though... I would have had to spend all my time writing.

i could be wrong but i don't think they have a choice, i think the standard time frame is 30 days from the day you submit the petition. that is how they can filter out petitions that are getting the public's attention. if you can't get 100,000 signatures in 30 days, then they know there is not enough public interest to take a look at the issue.

Unfortunately I wasn't aware of this latest petition until it was midway through its posting month. I would've started a better worded petition that's less specific to Tesla, if not for the suggestion on the site not to do that so as not to dilute the campaign. I was #238 on June 21st when I initiated this thread. In less than two days signatures have risen considerably to 3708, but I'd be surprised if they reach anywhere near 100,000 by July 5th. Nevertheless, keep signing and asking your friends to do the same. It might go viral.

Unfortunately I wasn't aware of this latest petition until it was midway through its posting month. I would've started a better worded petition that's less specific to Tesla, if not for the suggestion on the site not to do that so as not to dilute the campaign. I was #238 on June 21st when I initiated this thread. In less than two days signatures have risen considerably to 3708, but I'd be surprised if they reach anywhere near 100,000 by July 5th. Nevertheless, keep signing and asking your friends to do the same. It might go viral.
I see that @TeslaMotors retweeted @leilanimunter, which may help. If @elonmusk & @SpaceX also RT, that would be helpful. I also posted on the Tesla Motors FB page, but it won't be seen by many unless they decide to "like."

Last edited:
I see that @TeslaMotors retweeted @leilanimunter, which may help. If @elonmusk & @SpaceX also RT, that would be helpful.

Today Elon tweeted, "The kill Tesla bill in NY was stopped in the 11th hour due to public outcry. Am super grateful to everyone who helped."

Let's hope he either retweets Leilani in his owner twitter account or initiates his own tweet related to the current White House petition.

Signed, tweeted, re-tweeted, FBed. (In case anyone is wondering, I am a US citizen living in Canada.)

As I posted recently on another thread, we are on a big road trip, and have introduced many to Model S. No-one we talked to sides with the auto dealers. All think Tesla's model is far better for the consumer. If we could get more visibility for this petition, it might actually make the threshold!

Thanks!
Yeah, just didn't make sense to repeat the same madness from the last round. After reading Curt's comments on the next page (from yours), if this doesn't pass, we can try a cleaner worded simpler version... per his suggestion.