Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New PG&E EV2-A Rate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dmunjal

Aug 17, 2012
Did anyone get his letter from PG&E? It says my EV-A rate plan is closing on November 2019 and I'll be put on EV2-A. Is this mandatory or do I have a choice to stay on EV-A?

2019-09-05 13.17.03.jpg

The letter says "customers will be automatically transitioned to the new charging (EV2-A) rate plan."
You have no choice and may not remain on EV-A beyond that date. There is some extra grandfathering for NEM solar customers. Those customers will be given at least 5 years from when they started the EV-A plan.

Personally, I'm hoping that I can get 5 years from when I got Powerwalls because I started on the EV-A plan more than 5 years ago and haven't received the letter yet.

If you don't have solar, it won't be that bad on the new plan. There are fewer hours of Peak and the Peak is slightly less expensive ($0.47 vs $0.52/kWh). However, Off-Peak is slightly more expensive at ~$0.15/kWh vs. ~$0.13/kWh for EV-A.

We received out PG&E letter today. Not exactly transparent. I found it interesting the rate that will be charged wasn’t listed for each category, just the hours of use, unless you took the time to go to their website. I think that should have been included in the letter as well. Also while the letter said this was a 60-day notice, ours was dated 9/4. Couldn’t they publish a start date for this program in the letter itself?

My husband said it will probably work out to their advantage overall not ours but we haven’t really looked at it yet.

According to their FAQ existing EV-A customers will be transitioned in November based on their billing cycle (I guess at the beginning of the individual billing period in November).

Did some quick back-of-the-envelope calculations. Unless you have a lot of consumption in the morning to early afternoon period, this will be a price increase for most people. But moving things like running the washing machine and dryer to the morning should soften the blow. Also note that they dropped the weekend/holiday schedule.

There's a more discussion of EV-A going away, and the EV2-A "replacement", over on the Tesla Energy section of TMC. For example this thread:

PG&E discontinuing EV-A rate

Lots of unhappy solar customers, because many people's maximum solar output is going to come during what will be off-peak hours (where previously they were probably during partial peak hours).

Bruce.

• Informative
Reactions: Blup85
First thing is to check the PG&E rate comparison tool in your PG&E online account.
Interesting. When I select this I get:
You’re already on the lowest cost rate plan
If you make no changes to your usage, you’ll save the most with the Electric Vehicle Rate Plan EV-A rate plan.

So they don't even show me the other plans.

Note that the EV is my biggest consumption and that we also have heat pumps which suck a lot of juice in the winter. We also live in a very hot climate so AC can be a factor on hot days. We have done everything we can to shift as much load to off peak and have about 5kw of solar.

Our true up costs are still about $3k.

So they don't even show me the other plans.

Scroll down farther on the page...for me it has a section with the heading "Compare all rate plans". Read and weep. According to that page, I'd be going from $2400/year true-up with EV-A to $3100/year true-up with EV2-A, although I'm not sure how my use of a CCA and a recent Powerwall install would change that. That's still better than any of the other rate plans (if I was on E-1, it'd be $3900/year).

Are the estimates from that page considered reliable? In years past when I checked that, it wasn't even able to give me an answer. Yesterday was the first time I tried it and it worked.

Bruce.

• Informative
Reactions: aesculus
Scroll down farther on the page.
Duh.:oops:

Yeah. These plans put me in a whole different territory.

EV2-A goes to $3700 a year from $2700 and the others top $4k.:mad:

The other tidbit that bothers me is the 800% rule that seems a bit subjective. That along with the NEM grandfathering makes it real difficult to figure out when they will pull the rug out from under you. You made a significant investment in EVs, solar systems, storage etc. based on a 20 year analysis and in a few years they basically change all the rules on you. And generally in their favor. What is the point?