Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New PG&E EV2-A Rate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The estimates just take your current usage and throws it into the new rate for the estimate. It does not take into account if you shift usage.

This is why I created my own worksheet. When I was moving from E-1 to EV-A, it said EV-A would cost more. This was because I charged my car whenever I needed/wanted to.

With a Powerwall in Cost Saving mode, peak should be covered by the PW, and it's slightly better because the peak period is shorter (I usually run out of PW juice in the last two hours).

However, the loss of pushing partial and peak power back to the grid with NEM is disastrous. I don't produce much after 4 PM due to trees.

Gotta pay for all the fires damage claims. Guess we all knew this was coming.

We briefly talked about the letter last night and didn't dig any deeper. But are they still doing tiered pricing as well within EV2-A?
Neither EV-A nor EV2-A have tiers. There are only time periods Off-Peak, Part-Peak, and Peak. EV2-A also has no holidays nor weekends. It is the same every day.

• Informative
Reactions: SMAlset
Ah, crapola, I switched from grandfathered E-6 on NEM 1.0 to EV-A in June before they closed it, hoping they would let folks stay on EV-A for a few more years. EV-A was only marginally better, maybe $20/year. Looks like I lost that bet, as I would have had a good two more years on E-6 before it phased out.

Since I already start EV charging at midnight, the Rate Comparison tool should be pretty accurate for me. I'm looking at a 65% increase from $600/yr to $1000/yr - EV-2A is by far worse than any other plan. Looks like E-TOU-A for me, which will "only" be a 20% increase.

I just got the letter. Termination of EV-A in 2 months. New EV2-A plan (which is the 'automatic' option they will switch me to) sucks. Yes, longer off peak, but about $0.03/kw more. Peak time now shifted well into the afternoon/evening, so major offset with respect to solar production. So your solar cranks but is NEM at the partial peak rate, then you come home and use AC, etc at the peak rate. I just spent 30 minutes on the phone with a very nice PG&E rep on this, since I am being closed out of my EV-A in November (after 5 years). They offered EV2-A, which actually will add $1500/year to my bill, assuming my usage is basically the same as it is now. Believe it or not, the next 2 most expensive plans are the 2 alternate TOU plans, and the least punitive is the old E-1 tiered NON-TOU plan, which theoretically adds about $400/year to my bills. No good answer. Yes, maybe use Powerwalls, but you must charge them from solar to get the tax break (you can't charge from PG&E overnight on the off-peak rate). All just a way for PG&E to extract more $$ and screw solar producers. The only saving grace is that my panels are east-west, so i get a bit of a later afternoon boost.

What happens to people on CCAs? Does their energy generation switch to a new EV2-A like schedule also? Or do they have some kind of Franken-schedule that’s EV-A for generation and EV2-A for transmission?

Bruce.

What happens to people on CCAs? Does their energy generation switch to a new EV2-A like schedule also? Or do they have some kind of Franken-schedule that’s EV-A for generation and EV2-A for transmission?
I just checked, but there is no communication from SVCE yet. Maybe I'll give them a call next week. But yes, my guess is that they will adjust their rates to match PG&E.

I just got the letter. Termination of EV-A in 2 months. New EV2-A plan (which is the 'automatic' option they will switch me to) sucks. Yes, longer off peak, but about $0.03/kw more. Peak time now shifted well into the afternoon/evening, so major offset with respect to solar production. So your solar cranks but is NEM at the partial peak rate, then you come home and use AC, etc at the peak rate. I just spent 30 minutes on the phone with a very nice PG&E rep on this, since I am being closed out of my EV-A in November (after 5 years). They offered EV2-A, which actually will add $1500/year to my bill, assuming my usage is basically the same as it is now. Believe it or not, the next 2 most expensive plans are the 2 alternate TOU plans, and the least punitive is the old E-1 tiered NON-TOU plan, which theoretically adds about $400/year to my bills. No good answer. Yes, maybe use Powerwalls, but you must charge them from solar to get the tax break (you can't charge from PG&E overnight on the off-peak rate). All just a way for PG&E to extract more $$ and screw solar producers. The only saving grace is that my panels are east-west, so i get a bit of a later afternoon boost.
So they're not going to grandfather you in for an additional 5 years starting now?

Weve been on EV-A for 3 years and about to pull the trigger on solar. I wonder if we get it in by November if they'll allow us to stay on Ev-A for a few more years or force us to switch to EV2-A?

Last edited:
Weve been on EV-A for 3 years and about to pull the trigger on solar. I wonder if we get it in by November if they'll allow us to stay on Ev-A for a few more years or force us to switch to EV2-A?

Yes.

"Current EV-A customers must submit their interconnection application by November 30th, 2019 to remain the EV-A rate. If the application is submitted in time but PTO is not received prior to November 2019, customers will be transitioned to EV2-A, and returned to EV-A once PTO is granted." from Explore EV Fundamentals

So is EV-B an option?

It requires a separate meter for just your EV and the rest of your house is on another rate. PG&E fees + electrical work might be prohibitive. Also it is limited to a certain # of signups. It wouldn't help NEM/solar users at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChrisJ
It requires a separate meter for just your EV and the rest of your house is on another rate. PG&E fees + electrical work might be prohibitive. Also it is limited to a certain # of signups. It wouldn't help NEM/solar users at all.
And I am pretty sure they are just a few short years away from virtually metering the EV charging. They did a bunch of experiments a few years back and are probably just waiting to figure out their best strategy on metering EV charging vs regular consumption. I am sure they are not happy that a number of their customers are gaming the system to use the super low off peak rates for non EV charging loads.

I’m trying to think what I will do when I’m kicked off E6 in a few years. I have added to my solar twice and have no more room for more panels, I could replace my 9 year old 220 panels with newer more efficient panels but then would probably need another inverter. By that time who knows what PG&E will do with their rates and schedules.

I’m trying to think what I will do when I’m kicked off E6 in a few years. I have added to my solar twice and have no more room for more panels, I could replace my 9 year old 220 panels with newer more efficient panels but then would probably need another inverter. By that time who knows what PG&E will do with their rates and schedules.

I feel your pain, many PGE customers don't even know how bad their rates are as they have only used one utility all their life. Noe we have Berkeley requit
Maybe we shouldn’t allow critical public utilities to be for-profit enterprises. Seems like a good start. ;)

I believe they are now protected for a 10% profit, so I guess they can do as they please. PGE is one of the most disgusting companies ever and so are the politicians that protect and enable them.