Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New PG&E EV2-A Rate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe they are seeing the writing on the wall wrt. paired solar + energy storage.

For example, since I've had my single Powerwall installed in April I have consumed net 1587 kWh from PG&E, yet I am "owed" ~$100 in NEM credits for an effective -$0.06/kWh rate. This is achievable purely by playing (flip the PW onto the "Cost Saving" algorithm) the $0.38/kWh arbitrage between EV-A peak and off-peak rates. There is no way this is sustainable at a larger scale.

I have four more years of the EV-A rate. I'll figure out what rate works for me when that time comes around. I imagine that I'll treat PG&E as non-NEM-friendly and purchase 1-2 more Powerwalls to become more self-sustainable and unfortunately give up the arbitrage game.

I got the letter too. I went on EV-A in June at the 11th hour before change to EV-2 July 1. Also I am solar NEM2.0.

Do solar customers get grandfathered for five years or not? Is it only non solar customers who get automatically switched over?

Or will basically NO ONE be on EV-A come November? Is there anything we can do about this???

(Whatever the case may be, I want to buy candles and cook over an open fire. I'll just switch off my solar. They gonna mess with me? Fine, I'll just shut the solar panels off. How dat feel PGE mid August when the central valley is roasting at 130 degrees at 4pm???? Don't they know this is a team effort. Sigh)

I am grandfathered in on EV-A until July 2021 but am still considering whether it might be worth investing in a Powerwall or two now while there are still federal tax credits for it available just as a future hedge against rate changes like this.

Out of curiosity, I did a rate comparison check on PGE's website to compare the current EV-A plan with the EV2-A rate plan. The numbers for EV-A, the plan I've been on for many years now, came up a full $450-500 more per year than my annual true-up bill, which has been remarkably consistent the first three years I've had solar. Does anyone know why that is? If I call Tesla, will they be able to run better numbers than PG&E is apparently giving me?

I just changed to EV-A in May this year. Supposed to be for 5 years. Tried to call PG&E today and voicemail that syas they are emergency bypass for outages and not available.

Any tips on how to contact PG&E?
If you are calling about the EV2-A migration, call the solar department at 877-743-4112. That is the number that was at the bottom of the EV2 migration letter. If you don't have solar NEM, you probably don't get any grandfathering and will be automatically changed over at the start of your November billing cycle.

If you are calling about the EV2-A migration, call the solar department at 877-743-4112. That is the number that was at the bottom of the EV2 migration letter. If you don't have solar NEM, you probably don't get any grandfathering and will be automatically changed over at the start of your November billing cycle.
I do have solar and NEM, so hopefully I am grandfathered. That solar department number goes to voicemail for PSPS.

Any other contact phone number would be appreciated!

Does anyone know whether when Daylight Savings ends/begins if the hours for PGE's peak/partial peak gets shifted as well? Just trying to determine if an adjustment to PW operation needs to be made. Thanks

I not 100% sure, but I believe EV2-A sorta tracks DST changes in the same way that EV-A does. (It's actually listed in the tarriff document, but I can't find it at the moment.) I say "sorta" because EV-A does DST transitions on different days from when our normal clocks do, so the net effect is that for a week or two the time-of-use periods are an hour out of phase with the wallclock time. This has to do with some changes to the DST rules that took effect around 2006, but PG&E hasn't caught up to them yet. I'm not making this up.

Bruce.

PS. Today I got my "30-day notice" for the EV-A -> EV2-A change. The notice was dated October 4. Today is October 21. :mad:

• Funny
Reactions: goldengate
I not 100% sure, but I believe EV2-A sorta tracks DST changes in the same way that EV-A does. (It's actually listed in the tarriff document, but I can't find it at the moment.) I say "sorta" because EV-A does DST transitions on different days from when our normal clocks do, so the net effect is that for a week or two the time-of-use periods are an hour out of phase with the wallclock time. This has to do with some changes to the DST rules that took effect around 2006, but PG&E hasn't caught up to them yet. I'm not making this up.

Bruce.

PS. Today I got my "30-day notice" for the EV-A -> EV2-A change. The notice was dated October 4. Today is October 21. :mad:

Ah, I see. So the plan tracks close enough not to have to make any changes on my end to PW.

Yeah, me too. Just got the EVA2 letter as well.

Thanks

Does anyone know whether when Daylight Savings ends/begins if the hours for PGE's peak/partial peak gets shifted as well? Just trying to determine if an adjustment to PW operation needs to be made. Thanks
If you are on EV2-A already, then you are already in the Winter rate season (Oct 1) and there is no DST offset. It will follow the real Daylight Saving Time schedule.
EV-A has the DST Offset one hour later between the last Sunday in October and the first Sunday in November. Winter rate season starts November 1 on EV-A.

• Informative
Reactions: aesculus and Sherlo
I received the letter as well... I filed a complaint with the CPUC as I believe that PG&E is running circles around the rate setting authorities, who likely don't understand what they are really doing here. What they really did with this new rate -- though it appears they are acting in our best interest by increasing non-peak charging -- is reducing how much they pay for our solar generation. I would encourage anyone who disagrees with this new forced rate plan to file a complaint at the CPUC site - it takes about 5 mins.
Here's the link: CAB Utility Complaint

I also sent an email to our relatively new governor... zero response.

I received the letter as well... I filed a complaint with the CPUC as I believe that PG&E is running circles around the rate setting authorities, who likely don't understand what they are really doing here. What they really did with this new rate -- though it appears they are acting in our best interest by increasing non-peak charging -- is reducing how much they pay for our solar generation. I would encourage anyone who disagrees with this new forced rate plan to file a complaint at the CPUC site - it takes about 5 mins.
Here's the link: CAB Utility Complaint

I also sent an email to our relatively new governor... zero response.
The CPUC already approved this scheme a long time ago. They knew exactly what it would do. If you want to contact someone who actually looks out for ratepayers, try TURN.

Reactions: goldengate