Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New policy regarding non-stock Tesla tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dsm363

Roadster + Sig Model S
May 17, 2009
Nevada
I just heard from a service center rep that Tesla will start allowing installation of non-Tesla stock tires if the customer signs a waiver. Hope this is true as that makes getting tires like the Nokian R2 and others easier to get installed.

I just heard from a service center rep that Tesla will start allowing installation of non-Tesla stock tires if the customer signs a waiver. Hope this is true as that makes getting tires like the Nokian R2 and others easier to get installed.
Awesome. I was just mentioning to a Tesla tech that they might want to at least implement a mechanism for Tesla to evaluate additional candidate tires at the request of owners. Those "silent" tires that were advertised by Audi or whoever will be compelling for a quiet vehicle such as the S.

Service center allowed me to drop ship tire to their service center. It was the same continental tire as OEM but at least they allowed me to go outside to get them. Saved about 100 bucks per tire.

Yep. That is a great policy and I've done the same thing.

If this holds up, this might be even better as you can now install tires Tesla doesn't even sell. I'll try and do it this winter and see if this stated policy change is accurate.

That is excellent news!

On both our cars I use mid to high performance summer tires in warm weather and dedicated winter tires in the winter(who would have guessed...). Since the tires are already mounted and balanced on their own wheels, I mostly do the swaps myself, or it's very cheap and quick to have done. The difference between "All Season" and specialized tires is really major. If anyone does this, I'd also strongly recommend doing all 4 tires, it's good to stop as well as go.

Waiver of what?

I have to get my tires changed locally (being hundreds of miles from a service center), but really, any service center should install any suitable tires (correct size correct load rating correct max psi etc etc). Although Tesla has on the whole been quite poor about releasing information about do-it-yourself service, their *tire* specifications were quite thorough.

Waiver of what?

I have to get my tires changed locally (being hundreds of miles from a service center), but really, any service center should install any suitable tires (correct size correct load rating correct max psi etc etc). Although Tesla has on the whole been quite poor about releasing information about do-it-yourself service, their *tire* specifications were quite thorough.

They are installing non factory approved tires if what I'm told is accurate so you sign something I bet acknowledging Tesla hasn't tested that configuration...etc

Last edited:

Is this really true because I called my local service center and they told me they wouldn't touch non factory winter tire/wheels besides resetting the TPMS.....that's a bummer, having the car delivered this December at a service center 160 miles north from home in Quebec City where snow/ice makes the winter packaged Pirellis not your first winter tire choice....any suggestions!?

I'm still not clear on why Tesla's liability concerns are greater than any standard garage installing tires.

The local place here will pretty much install anything no questions asked (unless their equipment cannot handle the size). You just take your chances and hope they don't screw up or damage a rim. Work is not guaranteed in any way. Why is Tesla different?

I'm still not clear on why Tesla's liability concerns are greater than any standard garage installing tires.

The local place here will pretty much install anything no questions asked (unless their equipment cannot handle the size). You just take your chances and hope they don't screw up or damage a rim. Work is not guaranteed in any way. Why is Tesla different?

Because they are a manufacturer and have to certify what they do to comply with the FMVSS. Manufacturers are held to a much higher standard than others with respect to liability as well. To me it makes perfect sense. Unfortunately, it's one of the few disadvantages of dealing directly rather than through a middleman. Given all the other benefits of dealing directly, I'll just have tires and wheels mounted elsewhere.

Is this really true because I called my local service center and they told me they wouldn't touch non factory winter tire/wheels besides resetting the TPMS.....that's a bummer, having the car delivered this December at a service center 160 miles north from home in Quebec City where snow/ice makes the winter packaged Pirellis not your first winter tire choice....any suggestions!?

If Tesla won't install them, find a tire shop as close as possible to Tesla. I'm sure you can drive the car a couple km with the summer tires on and stay out of trouble.