TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

New policy regarding non-stock Tesla tires

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by dsm363, Aug 27, 2013.

1. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

I just heard from a service center rep that Tesla will start allowing installation of non-Tesla stock tires if the customer signs a waiver. Hope this is true as that makes getting tires like the Nokian R2 and others easier to get installed.

2. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Awesome. I was just mentioning to a Tesla tech that they might want to at least implement a mechanism for Tesla to evaluate additional candidate tires at the request of owners. Those "silent" tires that were advertised by Audi or whoever will be compelling for a quiet vehicle such as the S.

3. phat78boy

phat78boy Member

Great news. Now I just hope they change their policy on aftermarket wheels. I don't want them to install necessarily, but rotating would be nice.

4. zero

zero Member

Service center allowed me to drop ship tire to their service center. It was the same continental tire as OEM but at least they allowed me to go outside to get them. Saved about 100 bucks per tire.

5. ToddRLockwood

ToddRLockwood Active Member

Nice.

6. dsm363

Yep. That is a great policy and I've done the same thing.

If this holds up, this might be even better as you can now install tires Tesla doesn't even sell. I'll try and do it this winter and see if this stated policy change is accurate.

7. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

Continental employee prices are much, much better too - save $220/tire vs. Continental retail dealer price

8. Jack_L

Jack_L Member

Any suggestions for where to buy Nokian R2s that I can have shipped to local SC?? I'd then buy Tesla wheels and have SC mount/install this winter.

9. dsm363

Nokian's website has a dealer locator. Not sure of any that ship but might be able to pick the tires up yourself and carry them to the service center.

10. RDoc

RDoc S85D

That is excellent news!

On both our cars I use mid to high performance summer tires in warm weather and dedicated winter tires in the winter(who would have guessed...). Since the tires are already mounted and balanced on their own wheels, I mostly do the swaps myself, or it's very cheap and quick to have done. The difference between "All Season" and specialized tires is really major. If anyone does this, I'd also strongly recommend doing all 4 tires, it's good to stop as well as go.

11. pilotSteve

pilotSteve Member

Hopefully Tesla will extend this policy to allow installation of wheel protectors like AlloyGators. Portland service center says corporate won't allow it.

12. neroden

neroden Happy Model S Owner

Waiver of what?

I have to get my tires changed locally (being hundreds of miles from a service center), but really, any service center should install any suitable tires (correct size correct load rating correct max psi etc etc). Although Tesla has on the whole been quite poor about releasing information about do-it-yourself service, their *tire* specifications were quite thorough.

13. dsm363

#13 dsm363, Aug 29, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
    They are installing non factory approved tires if what I'm told is accurate so you sign something I bet acknowledging Tesla hasn't tested that configuration...etc

14. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I'm pretty sure said waiver also has a clause regarding how the Tire & Wheel plan is impacted.

15. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

My local Sears guys thought the AlloyGators were a great idea and they put mine back on when replacing the rear tires. They didn't do quite as good a job as I did originally, but it works.

16. jeffbegin

jeffbegin New Member

Is this really true because I called my local service center and they told me they wouldn't touch non factory winter tire/wheels besides resetting the TPMS.....that's a bummer, having the car delivered this December at a service center 160 miles north from home in Quebec City where snow/ice makes the winter packaged Pirellis not your first winter tire choice....any suggestions!?

17. Mayhemm

Mayhemm Model S P85+ "Lola"

I'm still not clear on why Tesla's liability concerns are greater than any standard garage installing tires.

The local place here will pretty much install anything no questions asked (unless their equipment cannot handle the size). You just take your chances and hope they don't screw up or damage a rim. Work is not guaranteed in any way. Why is Tesla different?

18. Al Sherman

Al Sherman It's about THIS car.

Great. Now if they'd make the 19" Cyclones available BEFORE Winter, I'll be in business!

19. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Because they are a manufacturer and have to certify what they do to comply with the FMVSS. Manufacturers are held to a much higher standard than others with respect to liability as well. To me it makes perfect sense. Unfortunately, it's one of the few disadvantages of dealing directly rather than through a middleman. Given all the other benefits of dealing directly, I'll just have tires and wheels mounted elsewhere.

20. mnx

mnx 2013 P85

If Tesla won't install them, find a tire shop as close as possible to Tesla. I'm sure you can drive the car a couple km with the summer tires on and stay out of trouble.