Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New policy regarding non-stock Tesla tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Because they are a manufacturer and have to certify what they do to comply with the FMVSS. Manufacturers are held to a much higher standard than others with respect to liability as well. To me it makes perfect sense. Unfortunately, it's one of the few disadvantages of dealing directly rather than through a middleman. Given all the other benefits of dealing directly, I'll just have tires and wheels mounted elsewhere.

Agreed, but I wonder, as my SC seems to be a separately incorporated entity (Tesla Motors Pennsylvania) according to the sign on the door, if that matters.

Is this really true because I called my local service center and they told me they wouldn't touch non factory winter tire/wheels besides resetting the TPMS.....that's a bummer, having the car delivered this December at a service center 160 miles north from home in Quebec City where snow/ice makes the winter packaged Pirellis not your first winter tire choice....any suggestions!?

Evidently Tesla corporate discourages service centers from dealing with non-factory wheels/tires, but ultimately it's up to the service center. Our service center here will mount/balance/install for $60/tire or just seasonally install already mounted tires for free. Unfortunately this is one where different sc's will have different policies.