Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I support the need for this. I always browse TMC using the new posts feature, going back until I reach the end of where I've read previously. Also all the white space makes it much less efficient to scan through the threads to see which I want to read. Contrast is better now though.

More than 20 threads per page would definitely be nice. How many did we have with the old forum?

This doesn't really seem applicable to the "new posts" feature, but here's an explanation I found about why the number of posts per page isn't user configurable:

XF 1.1 - threads per page

No and for good reason: Page numbers.

Unlike vBulletin, URLs containing a page number are the same for everyone.

A better solution would just be to encode the post number of the first post on the page and the number of posts on the page into every page URL, and then the server could always display the right thing. Ideally, users wouldn't posts link to pages at all, and instead would link to specific messages, but that behavior is probably impossible to change.

Page links aren't really immutable, anyway, because posts can be deleted or moved to other threads. It seems like the XenForo developers took a bad feature of vBulletin (crappy page URLs), copied it, and then removed a useful feature (letting users set the number of posts per page) to make up for the bad feature.

I'm confused as to the XenForo position on this. They say it is hard because of links to, for example, page#5. If everybody uses 10 articles a page, then everybody's page #5 is the same. If one guy uses 10/page and another 20/page, page #5 is different for them.

• OK. So the link comes in to page #5. That is post #50 at the top of the page (assuming numbering starts at post #0). If the user has 20 posts/page, that is page #3 (int(50/20)).
  • What about when that same user with 20 posts/page shares a link. He shares his page 3, which is post #60. That is sent out as page #6.

This is not rocket science. The conversion is trivial. Treat page# in URL links as always 10 posts per page, and adjust appropriately.

I can only presume the issue is not with the conversion but with page caching optimisation, or some other related limitation within XenForo - but if that is the case, why don't they just come out and say so?

Are any of this forum's admins reading this thread? How likely it is that the number of pages in the "new posts" feature will be increased? I think this feature really should return a lot more than 200 threads, because that just isn't enough to keep up with this very busy forum. Thanks!

Reactions: 7racer