Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New power wall 2 install - Internet connection?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Ethernet cable you link to has a double jacket, so that second outer jacket certainly fits the spirit of the 725.136(I). If one can argue that the outer jacket is a "flexible tubing," then it would work under (I)(2).

Cheers, Wayne
I was successful in routing 600V double jacketed Cat 6 that I sourced from eBay. I would like to bring to attention that solar inverters generally have a 2nd Ethernet port available serving as an Ethernet switch. I was able to easily push the cable inside the 3/4” conduit from the inverter to the Eaton backup load center to the Tesla gateway. Terminated the outer shielding to ground at the inverter and left the gateway side ungrounded as it should be. I did have a bear of a time (took half hour!) crimping to Cat 6 as I didn’t have Cat 6 plug guides (!) on hand.

WARNING: Don’t do this the above with ORDINARY Ethernet cables. Generally, low voltage communication and high voltage power cables do not belong in the same conduit (nor wall cavity).

I did this as this seemed to be a simple resolution from the Tesla crew chief. I can imagine local jurisdictions not liking this.

Last edited:
As a current data point, just talked to Tesla Energy scheduling (as they are ramping up PW installs again, it looks like) and they asked me to have the WiFi creds available when mine are installed next month.

I have a guest and main networks configured on my Orbi, so using the guest one for this (as the cars do) is the best bet.

They didn’t even ask if a network connection was available in the garage or if I wanted to use wifi or not. Guess the current state is use wifi. Of course, the actual installers could think something totally different!

Be careful as I've had an issue with the wifi signal from my router not quite being good enough for the backup gateway. Going through setup the Tesla gateway finds the wifi no problem, says it has 2 or 3 of 5 bars, but fails to connect every time. I moved a wifi repeater to the garage and the gateway had 0 issue connecting there so I'm 99% sure it is a signal problem with the gateway.

What is strange is that the Tesla gateway is almost adjacent to the PV gateway which connects to the wifi no problem. Having a laptop or phone out by both devices has no issue and shows the signal at 4 of 5 bars on those devices. I noticed that the TEG signal weakens dramatically when the gateway case (which is metal) is closed. There are two (what seem to be) antennas sticking out of the Tesla gateway but they're quite small. I'm hoping that there is a way to improve the antenna situation rather than having to set up a wifi repeater just for the Powerwall...

And to update we used wifi on my install. I didn’t even see a jack for wired Ethernet in the new (?) gateway but I assume it’s still there somewhere.

Directly under reset button on the brain box :)

6D23A789-8C1E-4E42-853B-1256CF1562FC.jpeg

I'm having my system installed next Friday; I'm having two powerwall 2's installed. I've read that the Gateway needs an internet connection.

It's my understanding it can use WiFi to connect to my home router or a hard line. I have the option to run a hard line cat 6 to where the gateway will be installed. Is there any advantage to a hard line? Disadvantage to Wifi? If your wifi password changes or you get a new router, how do you re-configure your gateway wifi connection/password?

Thanks!
The wifi works great, but make sure it is using the lowest frequency possible as the signal needs to travel through lots of layers of building materials depending on house size. It may only support 2.4ghz, which should be fine.

I notice when it rains, the bricks my gateway is attached to become wet, and ad a result, the signal drops precipitously. Sealing the brick or concrete has killed this problem as no water saturates the brick. Maybe a coincidence, but worked well on my house.

The wifi works great, but make sure it is using the lowest frequency possible as the signal needs to travel through lots of layers of building materials depending on house size. It may only support 2.4ghz, which should be fine.

I notice when it rains, the bricks my gateway is attached to become wet, and ad a result, the signal drops precipitously. Sealing the brick or concrete has killed this problem as no water saturates the brick. Maybe a coincidence, but worked well on my house.

The post you were replying to is nearly a year and a half old, so I suspect that the OP is probably already good on their gateway connectivity by now;)

However, that is an interesting note about wet bricks and the WiFi signal.