Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Powerwall Advanced Options [Toggles for charging from and discharging to grid from powerwalls]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And does it show that you have a rate plan set?
Yeah, it is in there. And PW seems to be paying attention to the buy/sell spread in the prices, as in NBCs. It appears to minimize re-importing except when it can export at peak and import at off peak.

I have seen multiple problems where some particular function in my app was absent until I pestered support and they flipped some bit in my account settings on their server. The first one was on day one when the notifications option was missing.

I gotta say, though, that display you sent does not look very informative. I want to know the rate period breakdown.

SW

That is in the table that is referenced. I had to wack it because I am on EVA1 and they don't support that out of the shoot.
Sorry, I meant that the value impact display in the app should break down the value by rate period. That way one could see when changes in consumption or PW settings would have the most financial impact. Like doing the laundry (or baking the cookies) after peak ends. On the other hand, if one knows the rate periods, doing laundry, running A/C or baking cookies between 4 and 9 would clearly be sub-optimal.

SW

Sorry, I meant that the value impact display in the app should break down the value by rate period. That way one could see when changes in consumption or PW settings would have the most financial impact. Like doing the laundry (or baking the cookies) after peak ends. On the other hand, if one knows the rate periods, doing laundry, running A/C or baking cookies between 4 and 9 would clearly be sub-optimal.

SW
Oh. OK. In my case it's pretty simple. I mostly (always?) export only during peak period. That is my biggest payback period by far. There are a few exceptions but they are rounding errors.

I suppose net generators or people with lots of solar that also spill over into partial peak regularly, would benefit from a more detailed view.

This picture corresponds to the above date Impact image. Its a weekend without partial peak but even a Friday with Export Everything on, only exports now during peak.

Now if I still don't understand your message, try again. Maybe I'll get it the third time. :confused:

Screenshot_20220623-061455_Tesla.jpg

Now if I still don't understand your message, try again. Maybe I'll get it the third time.
Here is a coincidence for you. The Energy Value card just appeared on my app this morning! It was not there yesterday, and this morning merely thinking about calling Tesla to pester them was all it took. I guess Elon's new Mind Reading project is making more progress than his FSD is. ;-)

At first blush it appears that the value it reports is the sum of consumption cost savings from what was covered by solar and PW, plus the value of exports. Essentially this might be described as the economic benefit of one's solar and battery, not including the capital cost and any interest expense. This also does not take into consideration the fact that without solar or ESS one might choose a different rate plan. So I'm not sure what one can do with this "value" information, except maybe show friends potential solar savings. Till NEM3 kicks in, that is.

It is nice to see the estimate of $1,200 in savings for the year 2021. It is close enough to validate what my model says for that year, $1,400 with no solar or battery, but there are several reasons they should not match. For example, Tesla did not record my December solar due to a data munging side effect of my experimental grid charging that month.

Anyway, thanks for the info about the value card, even if it's value is unclear. ;-) The good news for me is that I no longer need to pester Tesla.

SW

IMG_7811.jpg

P.S.
aeship_leaf01_tnail.jpg
?

Here is a coincidence for you. The Energy Value card just appeared on my app this morning! It was not there yesterday, and this morning merely thinking about calling Tesla to pester them was all it took. I guess Elon's new Mind Reading project is making more progress than his FSD is. ;-)
What? No credit for me? 🙂

At first blush it appears that the value it reports is the sum of consumption cost savings from what was covered by solar and PW, plus the value of exports.
I thought it was the sum of exports (solar + PWs) but I must admit I have not chased that down yet. But I suspect you are correct in assuming it's total solar (and perhaps any grid power put into the PWs).

Like I said above. I will try to take a swag at this and see if I can figure out the formula after my TrueUp next month. Then I can decide if Export Everything has value. I certainly don't want to find out I am giving them back energy for free. But I have always been a net consumer and other than buying more efficient heat pumps (which I sort of changed my conform setting on), and less driving, grid use has not changed much.

What? No credit for me?

Do you prefer your credit on a per kWh basis, or per panel per month? ;-)

Then I can decide if Export Everything has value.
I think you will find that Export Everything helps some. But like I said earlier, every system is different.

Your system is roughly 2X mine, and if you typically pay some at true-up, so if you usually have some SOC available at the end of most days, I would expect some worth while benefit.

I think of it this way. Over time, your grid draw is equal to your consumption less your solar production. The PW's, over time, don't change that much, except for the 10% of round trip loss. It just stores and then dumps solar production later. With export only, PW does it's discharge during higher rate periods, effectively shifting your higher rate consumption to off-peak times, saving some $. Each day, once the PW is full, solar runs the house and exports the extra when it happens. PW discharges only enough to cover your higher price period consumption, leaving any excess SOC overnight. Pretty cool, I used to think.

With Export Everything, PW instead shifts your excess solar to export during peak, so it can use that un-discharged SOC to shift solar export from a lower price to peak price. PW will actually let your house draw from the grid during partial peak, because that means PW can export that much more during peak, netting you the peak minus partial peak difference. It is a very different game than Export Solar Only, but it does produce still more credit.

I look forward to hearing how you true-up works out.

SW

Reactions: aesculus
my android app now has this option:

i just enabled it, and it's dumping all of my battery to the grid right now, minus what my house is using (my peak time is 4pm-9pm). is this new? i don't remember seeing it before...

...and, what is the best way to control it? i obviously want to make sure i have enough to get myself through the peak hours before i start dumping to the grid...

Looks like you’ll be spending a few hours reading this thread …

this isn't the charging from the grid option (i already knew that was there, it was there a while ago and i had read that thread a while back). this is what appears to be a new one to go the other direction (dump the battery to the grid during peak hours)...

edit: i see the discussion at the end now about the new option. didn't even think to look there since it's not the same option as what is in the title.

mods, maybe update the title on that thread to indicate that it has more than just that option discussion in it?

Last edited:
Reactions: crackers8199
this isn't the charging from the grid option (i already knew that was there, it was there a while ago and i had read that thread a while back). this is what appears to be a new one to go the other direction (dump the battery to the grid during peak hours)...

edit: i see the discussion at the end now about the new option. didn't even think to look there since it's not the same option as what is in the title.

mods, maybe update the title on that thread to indicate that it has more than just that option discussion in it?

Merged with existing discussion thread. Thread title amended slightly.

Hi all, forgive me if this has already been covered but according to Tesla, they will not allow grid charging on my Powerwall because it was installed by a third party (in my case Swell Energy). I am with PG&E and SGIP as well - has anyone else run into this? I originally called Swell Energy and they said it was a PG&E decision, then called PG&E and they pointed me to Tesla.

Hi all, forgive me if this has already been covered but according to Tesla, they will not allow grid charging on my Powerwall because it was installed by a third party (in my case Swell Energy). I am with PG&E and SGIP as well - has anyone else run into this? I originally called Swell Energy and they said it was a PG&E decision, then called PG&E and they pointed me to Tesla.
Sorry, not sure why this reposted, could a mod delete for me?

need to automate this but for the last couple of weeks i have been manually toggling export everything and solar only to export some stored solar during peak but still have enough charge to get thru the 4PM-12AM period w/o drawing from the grid. i have a 2 Powerwall system.

i've seen some weird behavior. the very first day that i turned on EE, the system only exported a combined 5KW during peak. i thought, "that's nice, it's going easy on the battery since there's plenty of peak hours to export the battery." but then the next day and every day after that, the PW exported enough to peg the grid output at 12KW and would of course do so until the reserve was hit.

i also find that if i forget to set Export Everything by 3PM, the powerwall of course starts assuming the home load since partial peak has started. if i set EE between 3PM and 4PM, the powerwall immediately starts dumping the 12KW total even though it is not yet peak. that's different behavior than if i set EE at say 2PM, in which case the PW waits until 4PM to start dumping.

further, yesterday there was not enough sun to reach 100% before 3PM, and i forgot to set EE. the system assumed the home load with the battery at 89%. i set EE around 3:05PM and nothing changed, so i went in and toggled more stuff - i set up for self-powered mode and 100% reserve. after 20 minutes the PW started charging from solar again. at 4PM i changed back to EE, 25% reserve and time-based and again nothing changed for 20 minutes. at that point the powerwall just started exporting the solar and it wasn't until 5:20PM that the PW started exporting. and guess what, it was doing the 5KW thing again. so toggling the time based/self consumption seems to reset something.

one thing i would say is that the night before all this, the PW seems to have rebooted, so it might be running a new FW now vs. the previous 2 weeks. right now the version is reported as 22.18.3

TL;DR the first time you set EE the PW seems to output conservatively, EE works differently depending on what time it is enabled, and perhaps configuration changes take a long time on the latest firmware? prior to this i'd see the changes take effect in minutes.