Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Powerwall Advanced Options [Toggles for charging from and discharging to grid from powerwalls]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Where is the info for pulling from the server API? Can you just access it from a URL or do you need some scripting?
The server API requires scripting, unfortunately, because it uses an authentication mechanism intended for applications. It's actually the API used by the mobile app.
There are some libraries that allow you access to the API, but not as easily as through a web browser. For example, there is an integration for Home Assistant: GitHub - alandtse/tesla: Tesla custom integration for Home Assistant. This requires a refresh token be generated by third-party apps to login.

Reactions: jgleigh
I guess this answers my question

F62748DB-77CC-4B95-8522-664AFF1DF55D.png

• Informative
Reactions: holeydonut
I suspect, but don't know for sure, that initially most installs were based on coupling with solar and in the US (taking the ITC) would prohibit you from charging from the grid. To make it simple for people to comply, without recording their solar storage activity, Tesla just defaulted to 100% solar storage only.

Somewhere they either changed their install base to a higher non solar makeup or decided they did not want to be the storage police any longer.
Tesla shouldn't be in the business of managing their customers' tax deductions. That is a matter for their customers to manage, either by themselves or with accountants.

But it doesn't matter - I'll take the new functionality, hands down. THANK YOU TESLA! THANK YOU FOR DOING SOMETHING RIGHT!!

I guess this answers my question
Have you looked up your utility's NEM tariff? PG&E's version says (Special Condition 11- Paired Storage, c, 2):

"Note that the storage device is not required to be exclusively charged by the REGF. (renewable energy generation facility, i.e. the connected solar)"

The emphasis on "not" is in the tariff.

I would expect, CPUC being a state wide regulator, that your version says the same thing. The utility and SunRun have no legal authority to contradict the NEM tariff. Nor does Tesla, for that matter.

SW

Reactions: HankLloydRight
If it's not allowed, it should be in your interconnection documents. Look up everything you signed and if you can't find it, ask SCE for copies. Don't tell them why you want them, just ask for them.
I just looked through all my documents and SCE rule 21 and didn’t see anything restricting grid charging. The only mention if grid charging by SCE pertains to SGIP agreement with battery and no solar. It doesn’t say anything about no being able to grid charge with solar.

I just looked through all my documents and SCE rule 21 and didn’t see anything restricting grid charging. The only mention if grid charging by SCE pertains to SGIP agreement with battery and no solar. It doesn’t say anything about no being able to grid charge with solar.

I think that I'm the only loser in Northern California that has their PTO form with this box checked.

1653451285971.png

I think that I'm the only loser in Northern California that has their PTO form with this box checked.
My interconnect agreement for NEM2 does not include that checkbox, but the Application Summary document that PG&E emailed back upon receipt of the interconnect agreement includes for both Powerwalls the line "Charging mode: No Grid Charging".

Do your units charge during Storm Watch? I know that's not the issue, but it uses the same grid connection. Kind of silly if they would prevent direct grid charging, but allow Storm Watch grid charging.

Do your units charge during Storm Watch? I know that's not the issue, but it uses the same grid connection. Kind of silly if they would prevent direct grid charging, but allow Storm Watch grid charging.
Yes. Storm Watch is activate for me.

I just contacted the higher ups in Sunrun and they confirmed that they cannot put such restrictions since I own the system. They have no say in what I can and cannot do other than voiding warrantees for doing certain things, grid charging isn't one of them, and SCE has no restrictions either. They will contact Tesla and let them know that it is allowed

Yes. Storm Watch is activate for me.

I just contacted the higher ups in Sunrun and they confirmed that they cannot put such restrictions since I own the system. They have no say in what I can and cannot do other than voiding warrantees for doing certain things, grid charging isn't one of them, and SCE has no restrictions either. They will contact Tesla and let them know that it is allowed
One set of key words is customer owns. I still have not been able to get grid charge working. Seems lots of finger pointing going on within tesla. How hard can this be?

With these new settings, we can now pretty much control all the modes for the PWs except put it in standby. Anyone know how to put the PWs in a standby mode? In either self-powered or TOU mode I don't see how I could do this, but would be nice if house load uses all available solar and any extra comes from the grid instead of PW. This basically happens when the PW are already at 100% in TOU mode, but would be nice to have this behavior before the batteries are full. I am over optimizing, but in self powered mode would be nice not to have to drain the PWs during spkes from AC turning on or during TOU pull it all from the grid.

With these new settings, we can now pretty much control all the modes for the PWs except put it in standby. Anyone know how to put the PWs in a standby mode? In either self-powered or TOU mode I don't see how I could do this, but would be nice if house load uses all available solar and any extra comes from the grid instead of PW. This basically happens when the PW are already at 100% in TOU mode, but would be nice to have this behavior before the batteries are full. I am over optimizing, but in self powered mode would be nice not to have to drain the PWs during spkes from AC turning on or during TOU pull it all from the grid.
Set reserve to 100%? But you would not be using PW during peak