Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Powerwall Advanced Options [Toggles for charging from and discharging to grid from powerwalls]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am on NEM1, but set lower sell price to see what happens. It is early on in this experiment, but it appears that export continued full bore down to the backup reserve setting well before the end of peak. Sigh.

The export here stopped around 7:30 when the PW got down to my 20% reserve setting. At that point, I started importing peak price power, something I have studiously avoided since PW day one.

View attachment 810245
Fun looking at yesterday I produced 185kwh, more so far today it might go over that, shall see in the morning. Will I hit 190, probably not but close.

Back close on topic:

I am wondering what the power that is returned during a VPP event? Does it only return currently generated solar or does it also dip into the PWs?
Anything being generated by solar and Powerwalls down to 20% SOC.

I have seen a couple VPP events where it seemed they capped my exports at 5kw, 10kw, or 15kw. But there have also been many more that take all they can get for three hours.

• Informative
Reactions: aesculus
To be clear, the new(ish) display still doesn't have as much info as the old display.
Yeah. I was disappointed and confused with the "new and improved" version at first. But eventually, since I could not go back to the old version, I seem to have deleted all info about it from my memory. ;-)

SW
If you call G and H positive when the house is consuming, and S and P positive when they are discharging to the local microgrid, then the microgrid balance says that H = G + S + P. Looking at the example you posted, when G is positive you have G = H (blue) because all the solar is going into the Powerwall (S + P = 0). But the display doesn't tell you the value of |S| = |P|. And when G is negative, it's telling you some breakdown of S and P that match that G, but it doesn't tell you H, and doesn't tell you how it is assigning S and P to G vs H.
I may not understand what you are saying, but touching the graph brings up a vertical time index and the constituent power values at that time. The separate graphs of H, G, S & P, when taken together do give me what I need to know, albeit with some toggling from graph to graph.

I really have forgotten. Was the old one a graph from the HGSP node's point of view, showing contributors in different colors? I think that worked OK too. But occasional 100kW data glitches sometimes made the displays and cumulative totals unusable, a but that appears to have been fixed.

SW

All they can get is output of 3 PWs at 5kw each + solar output (which is later in the afternoon on a 12kw array*, VPP events from 4-7pm) so only probably another 4kw or so. I don’t think I’ve ever seen an export to VPP in my system over 19kw and definitely never 20 or higher. About 17 is what it usually looks like after house loads subtracted too.

*My array is split east/west facing too, so only really 6kw of panels getting late day sun.

• Informative
Reactions: aesculus
Doing the circle does not seem to show what you show, I get basically solar, see no batteries. I go not use much grid so do not expect to see much if any blue
Do you have the option to and are you sending battery power back to the grid? It looks like the original diagram shows both battery and solar power going to the grid, and grid power being used to power the home.

My guess is your usage is like mine this time of year. Solar dumps into Powerwalls and when they are full, the grid. And Powerwalls or Powerwalls plus solar meet 100% of home needs. Therefore, this Grid diagram only shows your excess solar production you send to the grid. Probably a huge negative number with your system. ;)

All they can get is output of 3 PWs at 5kw each + solar output (which is later in the afternoon on a 12kw array*, VPP events from 4-7pm) so only probably another 4kw or so. I don’t think I’ve ever seen an export to VPP in my system over 19kw and definitely never 20 or higher. About 17 is what it usually looks like after house loads subtracted too.

*My array is split east/west facing too, so only really 6kw of panels getting late day sun.
Very interesting. Do you know what your PTO states?

From what you describe it looks like Tesla's formula for VPP is:

current_solar + (number_of_power_walls * 5) - house_load = VPP_rate

This would be distinctly different than Export Everything that seems to be capped by what you PTO states.

Just for giggles have you tried Export Everything for a few minutes to see what it sends to the grid?

HOOOLLLEEEYYYY SH!!!!!!TTTTTT THEY ACTUALLY DID ITTTTTTTTTTTTT

1654030035370.png

PG&E's interconnection manager said she has contacted Tesla to authorize my Gateway ID to have both solar and battery export to the grid. Since this is what my PTO agreement allows. She said I'm the first and only customer she's ever had to do this for. YESSSSSSSSSS.

So I called up Tesla support. And the guy on the phone today says that a Powerwall system NEEDS AT LEAST 3x Powerwalls to be able to grid export in PG&E's area. He added that systems with 2 or fewer Powerwalls shouldn't grid export from the ESS. I'm like ... WHAT?

I told him a few days ago... the Tesla rep told me that my 3x Powerwall 2 system is barred from grid exporting from the batteries because 3x exceeds some 10 kW limit/rule.

But now he tells me that for PG&E, a home should have 3x or more Powerwall 2 to grid export stored energy from the batteries. Because for PG&E anything 10 kW or less wouldn't qualify for grid exporting under a NEM2-MT interconnection. He said NEM2-PS isn't supposed to allow grid exporting from the batteries outside of Tesla's VPP; because by definition the NEM2-PS was just a solar pairing where only solar generation could hit the grid. But MT would actually allow you to export both solar generation and battery export.

This also explains why I have insurance to protect PG&E's grid from my 15 kW ESS export and 7 kW solar export, but I don't know if @Vines or @h2ofun got this insurance for their NEM2-MT.

Anyway the new rep today pushed some button and magically I have the Energy Exports option on my app now. This is soooooooo confusing. But I can't argue with the outcome! I can finally bank some peak credits to not be a NEM deficit even with my small-azz solar array.

HOOOLLLEEEYYYY SH!!!!!!TTTTTT THEY ACTUALLY DID ITTTTTTTTTTTTT

View attachment 811053

PG&E's interconnection manager said she has contacted Tesla to authorize my Gateway ID to have both solar and battery export to the grid. Since this is what my PTO agreement allows. She said I'm the first and only customer she's ever had to do this for. YESSSSSSSSSS.

So I called up Tesla support. And the guy on the phone today says that a Powerwall system NEEDS AT LEAST 3x Powerwalls to be able to grid export in PG&E's area. He added that systems with 2 or fewer Powerwalls shouldn't grid export from the ESS. I'm like ... WHAT?

I told him a few days ago... the Tesla rep told me that my 3x Powerwall 2 system is barred from grid exporting from the batteries because 3x exceeds some 10 kW limit/rule.

But now he tells me that for PG&E, a home should have 3x or more Powerwall 2 to grid export stored energy from the batteries. Because for PG&E anything 10 kW or less wouldn't qualify for grid exporting under a NEM2-MT interconnection. He said NEM2-PS isn't supposed to allow grid exporting from the batteries outside of Tesla's VPP; because by definition the NEM2-PS was just a solar pairing where only solar generation could hit the grid. But MT would actually allow you to export both solar generation and battery export.

This also explains why I have insurance to protect PG&E's grid from my 15 kW ESS export and 7 kW solar export, but I don't know if @Vines or @h2ofun got this insurance for their NEM2-MT.

Anyway the new rep today pushed some button and magically I have the Energy Exports option on my app now. This is soooooooo confusing. But I can't argue with the outcome! I can finally bank some peak credits to not be a NEM deficit even with my small-azz solar array.
I have energy exports on my GW with 2 batteries, not the GW with 3 batteries.

No advanced option yet for either for grid charge

Currently I see no value for the energy export feature or am I missing something?

I have energy exports on my GW with 2 batteries, not the GW with 3 batteries.

No advanced option yet for either for grid charge

Currently I see no value for the energy export feature or am I missing something?

My solar system is too small, I don't actually generate enough kWh each year compared to my annual usage. Unlike you, PG&E blocked me from going over 110% my previous year usage even though I was getting an EV and there were more people planned in the household. Also, my NEM2-MT agreement only lets me export from my batteries, I cannot grid charge.

So what I need to do is export power during Summer-peak time (starts June 1 and ends September 30) to generate credits at peak rates.

This will then let me take energy back from PG&E in the Winter-off-peak or even Winter-shoulder/peak time since I can't grid charge in the Winter. The Summer-peak EV2A rate is almost double the off-peak rate, so more than makes up for the ~8% round trip loss.

Don't get me wrong, it'd be awesome if I could both grid charge and grid export... I'm just not allowed to grid charge. As Wwhitney said at the start of this thread... you're supposed to have one or the other; not both.

1654031549118.png

Reactions: wwhitney
My solar system is too small, I don't actually generate enough kWh each year compared to my annual usage. Unlike you, PG&E blocked me from going over 110% my previous year usage even though I was getting an EV and there were more people planned in the household. Also, my NEM2-MT agreement only lets me export from my batteries, I cannot grid charge.

So what I need to do is export power during Summer-peak time (starts June 1 and ends September 30) to generate credits at peak rates.

This will then let me take energy back from PG&E in the Winter-off-peak or even Winter-shoulder/peak time since I can't grid charge in the Winter. The Summer-peak EV2A rate is almost double the off-peak rate, so more than makes up for the ~8% round trip loss.

Don't get me wrong, it'd be awesome if I could both grid charge and grid export... I'm just not allowed to grid charge. As Wwhitney said at the start of this thread... you're supposed to have one or the other; not both.

View attachment 811078
I do not understand why you are NEM2-MT and I am NEM2-PS