Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Powerwall Advanced Options [Toggles for charging from and discharging to grid from powerwalls]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally got the grid charging feature on my APP

Attachments

• B5AF95B4-DD29-4CCB-A7B3-3D544803BC43.png
    B5AF95B4-DD29-4CCB-A7B3-3D544803BC43.png
    331.4 KB · Views: 235
I also finally got something to show up in my Settings, but it wasn't what I hoped for...

PW Grid Charging.jpg

I actually don't want to use it until April 2023 because that's when my 5 years is up on the ITC restriction.
Wait, is that the real restriction???? Hmmm...

I also finally got something to show up in my Settings, but it wasn't what I hoped for...

View attachment 812392

I actually don't want to use it until April 2023 because that's when my 5 years is up on the ITC restriction.

I have the export everything option…

But my grid charging section looks like yours.

View attachment 812392

You need to call and find the issue. If you have wrong installer, can be an issue. If is says you do not own the system, can be an issue.
so, calling is the only way to find out what if blocking and can you fix. I have been working this for months, and if I had not called and got some things fixed, never would have worked

You lost me on the 50 in 50 out thing...

So in the example above with imports of 100 kWh and solar exports of 50 kWh is the homeowner's annual costs $18.00 or $16.50 or something else alltogether?

Sorry, I should have written it out fully,"50 in, 50 out" meant 50 kwh import, 50 kwh export.

I think everyone is all aligned now, but I was just extrapolating on your "I think we all agree that"
100 kwh import, 100 kwh export = $3.00
50 kwh import, 50 kwh export = $1.50 should be all agreed (everything is halved)

So to get to scenario of 100 kwh import, 50 kwh export :
= (50 kwh import, 50 kwh export) + 50 kwh import = $1.50 + 50 kwh import

50 kwh import is just buying (consuming) at the retail rate. You don't need to know or understand NEM, NEM2, NBC's, export, anything. The retail rate is the retail rate, full stop.

I think of it as a tax on re-importing the energy you already have been credited for.
Yeah, my situation is a little different. I am on NEM1 with no NBCs, and am considering switching to NEM2.

Since the NBC is defined as a subset of the numerous fees charged to all users, and the definition applies only to NEM exports to reduce the otherwise retail credit, it looks to me like a decrease in the credit I receive if I switch to NEM2. Hence an export tax.

For folks on NEM2, the decrease in credit applies to all exports, but exports increase if one re-imports, so it also acts like a tax on imports. And this is a useful way to look at it if you can adjust how much re-importing you do. For example, car charging when solar is exporting rather than at night reduces re-importing.

Thankfully, NBC's are "only" 2.44 cents per kWh of export.

Seems like something has changed behind the scenes with the export feature. My PWs will still export at the max kW, but once it hit 62% SOE it went into standby mode even though my reserve is set to 10%. Not sure if it is learning based on my usage or just picking some number.

So, are folks using time based control, and export everything? Will it save money? With the price of PGE for peak now, I guess if I were to dump my solar and PW's, even though I may buy PGE at off peak, seems logical money would be saved? Does the reserve setting make any difference??

So far only have export everything option on my GW with 2 PW's, not the gw with 3? But seems folks are export everything with up to 5 PW's I have seen posted so far? So vines, what are you doing?

I am good with the PPP and ND items on my White Bill (non CCA) but the CTC and WF line items don't seem correct.

The $0.00023 >>> OCF code and the $0.00141 >>> WH.

Can you confirm these are the correct codes?
I made a mistake in my prior post and put the amount for the new Wildfire Hardening component and not the right amount of $0.00459 for the Wildfire Fund. This is the DWR code on the black bill. OCF is the correct code for the CTC/Competition Transition Charge.

Reactions: aesculus
I think we are in agreement now. The phrase "only pay NBCs on the difference" threw me, because NBCs are part of the retail rate, so you pay NBCs on everything.

But you could say that when imports > exports, you pay full retail rate on "net imports" (imports - exports) and then "only the NBCs) on the "exports".

Cheers, Wayne
I had to think about that for a few minutes and while you correct from a math viewpoint I think that it is confusing to look at it in this way. Exporting is a good thing as it reduces the amount of NEM charges and thinking about in this way implies that exporting more costs more when it doesn't as the NBCs are based on the amount that you import. If you import 0 kWh and export 1000 kWh your NBCs are $0.

So, are folks using time based control, and export everything? Will it save money? With the price of PGE for peak now, I guess if I were to dump my solar and PW's, even though I may buy PGE at off peak, seems logical money would be saved? Does the reserve setting make any difference??

So far only have export everything option on my GW with 2 PW's, not the gw with 3? But seems folks are export everything with up to 5 PW's I have seen posted so far? So vines, what are you doing?
I imagine your NEM balance is always negative, so doubt it would be really useful for you. Probably more useful to those with smaller systems and end up with a NEM balance. I usually have a NEM balance due to charging my cars, so using this mode will help my zero it out.

I made a mistake in my prior post and put the amount for the new Wildfire Hardening component and not the right amount of $0.00459 for the Wildfire Fund. This is the DWR code on the black bill. OCF is the correct code for the CTC/Competition Transition Charge.
That makes sense now since they are also all clumped together on black bill.