Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Powerwall Advanced Options [Toggles for charging from and discharging to grid from powerwalls]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, my situation is a little different. I am on NEM1 with no NBCs, and am considering switching to NEM2.

Since the NBC is defined as a subset of the numerous fees charged to all users, and the definition applies only to NEM exports to reduce the otherwise retail credit, it looks to me like a decrease in the credit I receive if I switch to NEM2. Hence an export tax.

For folks on NEM2, the decrease in credit applies to all exports, but exports increase if one re-imports, so it also acts like a tax on imports. And this is a useful way to look at it if you can adjust how much re-importing you do. For example, car charging when solar is exporting rather than at night reduces re-importing.

Thankfully, NBC's are "only" 2.44 cents per kWh of export.
One thing I haven't seen mentioned is that the minimum monthly bill (MDC) you pay can be applied to the NBCs. So if you are a net producer your bill is MDCs + Surplus Credits - NBCs at True-Up.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is that the minimum monthly bill (MDC) you pay can be applied to the NBCs. So if you are a net producer your bill is MDCs + Surplus Credits - NBCs at True-Up.
Actually NEM charges + NBCs - paid MDCs is your annual true up amount. If that is less than zero it is wiped out and you will get paid additional if your exported kWh is greater than your imported kWh.

• Helpful
Reactions: BGbreeder
Yes, but haven't they already been paid on the blue bill when true-up comes around? I'm on NEM 1, so I don't have first hand experience.
I posted my true-up bills earlier in this thread. I pay a minimum fee each month that counts towards the NBCs at true-up. My cumulative NBCs were higher than the total of the minimum monthly fees I paid, so I owed more at true-up. My NEM was negative, but it does not count towards the NBCs

• Informative
Reactions: miimura
over the weekend, I got upgraded to 22.9.1
When I open the app, it hangs up on trying to display the house and then closes about half of the time. It also changes the background on my Android phone to black. very odd
I have been on 22.9.1 for a week or so and don't notice any of this. Galaxy S10e.

It does seem slower to load, especially the graphic, but otherwise OK.

Another NBC related question, is this correct?
SCE - the NBCs are paid monthly
PG&E - the NBCs are accumulated and paid yearly at true-up, but you get a true-up reminder every 3 months?
Minimum / daily charge is paid monthly for both.
Climate credit twice a year does offset NBCs.

I prefer the SCE way.
Since NBCs aren't reduced by excess exports, PG&E customers are always going to pay something at true-up, so you need to budget for it?

PG&E - the NBCs are accumulated and paid yearly at true-up, but you get a true-up reminder every 3 months?

I prefer the SCE way.
Since NBCs aren't reduced by excess exports, PG&E customers are always going to pay something at true-up, so you need to budget for it?
For PG&E, you pay a minimum connection fee monthly that is applied against the NBCs on your true-up. In my case, my monthly fee is slightly less than $10/mo. My cumulative NBCs at true-up was $192. My Net NBC payment at true-up was $192 - $80 = $82.
I don't get any 3 month reminder, but the cumulative NBCs are shown on the monthly B&W bill

I prefer the SCE way.
I have CCA as energy provider and PG&E for delivery service. My CCA True-Up monthly on NEM debit/credit, so if you use more than you generate you pay the generation charge for that month when you receive the monthly bill, if you produce more than you use then you have a credit carryover to the next month. Because I was away from home and did not turn on the system after PTO I ended up paying around $6.00 for that month on generation charges to my CCA (collected by PG&E) and have a running NEM credit balance since. At the end of the 12-months cycle, I had a NEM credit balance of around $80.00 and that got carried over to my new year, if the balance were over $100.00 then I will get a check from my CCA and start out the new year with $0.00 NEM balance. So my NEM balance basically is settled with my CCA.

My MDC is paid every month to PG&E based on number of billing days, the NBC is accumulated every month but not settled until annul True-Up with PG&E. My total MDC for the year is around $120.00 which is already paid as it is collected monthly by PG&E, I had a cumulative NBC of $48.00 for the 12-month period which is less than what I have already paid for MDC so I paid nothing additional to PG&E.

Ideally I should have a zero NEM balance with my CCA and NBC close to the MDC. Climate credit is just deducted from bill balance regardless of anything.

I have CCA as energy provider and PG&E for delivery service. My CCA True-Up monthly on NEM debit/credit, so if you use more than you generate you pay the generation charge for that month when you receive the monthly bill, if you produce more than you use then you have a credit carryover to the next month. Because I was away from home and did not turn on the system after PTO I ended up paying around $6.00 for that month on generation charges to my CCA (collected by PG&E) and have a running NEM credit balance since. At the end of the 12-months cycle, I had a NEM credit balance of around $80.00 and that got carried over to my new year, if the balance were over $100.00 then I will get a check from my CCA and start out the new year with $0.00 NEM balance. So my NEM balance basically is settled with my CCA.

My MDC is paid every month to PG&E based on number of billing days, the NBC is accumulated every month but not settled until annul True-Up with PG&E. My total MDC for the year is around $120.00 which is already paid as it is collected monthly by PG&E, I had a cumulative NBC of $48.00 for the 12-month period which is less than what I have already paid for MDC so I paid nothing additional to PG&E.

Ideally I should have a zero NEM balance with my CCA and NBC close to the MDC. Climate credit is just deducted from bill balance regardless of anything.
How does the CCA stay in business with a lot of Solar customers if they write you a check for a >$100 balance? In my case (with PG&E), my NEM was -$900. They would pay me $900, but I have essentially paid them nothing?

How does the CCA stay in business with a lot of Solar customers if they write you a check for a >$100 balance? In my case (with PG&E), my NEM was -$900. They would pay me $900, but I have essentially paid them nothing?
First, the NEM charges are a combination of transmission, distribution and generation rates and the only component that has a net payout is generation with the transmission and distribution just reset to zero at annual true-up if they are negative.

My CCA is SVCE and for the first 1.5 years they paid me the retail amount that they charged to their other customers for my net annual exports. My exports were sold to other SVCE customers so there was no net loss for the CCA. Starting this April 1st they will now pay 2x the PG&E Net Surplus Compensation rate that I expect to be around $0.045/kWh or $0.090/kWh. This is lower than the amount they are charging to other customers for generation, so they will retain some profit on my net exports.

CCAs are non-profit entities.

• Informative
Reactions: BGbreeder
First, the NEM charges are a combination of transmission, distribution and generation rates and the only component that has a net payout is generation with the transmission and distribution just reset to zero at annual true-up if they are negative.

My CCA is SVCE and for the first 1.5 years they paid me the retail amount that they charged to their other customers for my net annual exports. My exports were sold to other SVCE customers so there was no net loss for the CCA. Starting this April 1st they will now pay 2x the PG&E Net Surplus Compensation rate that I expect to be around $0.045/kWh or $0.090/kWh. This is lower than the amount they are charging to other customers for generation, so they will retain some profit on my net exports.

CCAs are non-profit entities.
ok, got it. They only pay out on the generation potion. Makes more sense. Non-profits still pay Executive salaries and those can be set by the Board without making shareholders angry ;)

ok, got it. They only pay out on the generation potion. Makes more sense. Non-profits still pay Executive salaries and those can be set by the Board without making shareholders angry ;)
Right, the people that run the non-profit get paid, but the corporate drive is to provide more value to the people they serve versus maximizing profits.

Also, I believe that the number of accounts that are both NEM charge negative and export positive is a small percentage of the customer base. However, the percentage is likely increasing with ESS which is why SVCE adjusted their compensation.

My net generation is dropping as I convert away from gas to electric. Switching to an electric hybrid water heater has reduced my annual net exports by ~800 kWh already. And I will no longer be a net generator when I switch to an EV in the next 1-3 years.

Right, the people that run the non-profit get paid, but the corporate drive is to provide more value to the people they serve versus maximizing profits.

Also, I believe that the number of accounts that are both NEM charge negative and export positive is a small percentage of the customer base. However, the percentage is likely increasing with ESS which is why SVCE adjusted their compensation.

My net generation is dropping as I convert away from gas to electric. Switching to an electric hybrid water heater has reduced my annual net exports by ~800 kWh already. And I will no longer be a net generator when I switch to an EV in the next 1-3 years.

Any chance you can slap more solar on your roof now?