Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Powerwall Install - Swell Energy/Horizon Solar

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes I have one of those too for accurate reporting of overall NET consumption, however thats all its good for. If you want per branch reporting, or down to appliance level detail, then it does't cut it.
I use TP-Link HS110 for per-appliance monitoring: HS110 | Kasa Smart Wi-Fi Plug with Energy Monitoring | TP-Link which allows for remote monitoring, scheduling, and compatible with OhmConnect.

It's annoying my system is all spread out, so I can understand why the Sense would be better.

I use TP-Link HS110 for per-appliance monitoring: HS110 | Kasa Smart Wi-Fi Plug with Energy Monitoring | TP-Link which allows for remote monitoring, scheduling, and compatible with OhmConnect.

It's annoying my system is all spread out, so I can understand why the Sense would be better.
Well, I'd still like to see @Brovane reply about what he thinks about the sense.

I have a few of those HS110 smart plugs, but I only use them for ohmconnect to gather points... which is a bit of waste I guess :)

Out of interest, I assume you have a powerwall? If so did you do it with an SGIP rebate, and how are you planning to resolve the conflict that the SGIP discharge requirements will bring with messing up your ohmconnect baseline?

Out of interest, I assume you have a powerwall? If so did you do it with an SGIP rebate, and how are you planning to resolve the conflict that the SGIP discharge requirements will bring with messing up your ohmconnect baseline?
Still waiting for Tesla to put out some stock so I can install. I've already queued for step-2 SGIP rebate (though not via Tesla).

For OhmConnect, maybe I can shift PW discharge into the < 7pm area, and keep 7pm+ open for OhmHours. I have my allowed hours to be 7pm and later, or 7am and earlier.

You would think having a PW would be perfect for OhmHours. Definitely a good fit for one of those supposed Mega OhmHours.

With time-based control it'll be possible to discharge to offset house load while solar is producing. Since OhmHours don't work well during those times anyway, it's a way to meet the discharge requirements without affecting the demand reduction program. The other thing to do is to just take the hit and discharge during lower rate periods to meet the SGIP requirements. The SGIP requirements are low enough that I think it isn't that hard to meet the discharge requirements without resorting to discharging at a lower rate than the batteries were charged at (although you do lose a little due to the round-trip through the batteries, but it's worth it to get the SGIP rebate).

Reactions: NuShrike
I was thinking of maybe discharging on the weekend and perhaps only doing the week day ohm hours since the weekday baselines don't include weekends.

As of this time since I don't have TOU controls yet, I have my powerwall normally set to backup only, and then I flip it to self consumption mode for days that they call an ohmhour.

For the fist few ohmhours I did with the powerwall, I was actually flipping the main breaker, but didn't want to do this long term due to breaker wear, that and some devices in the house don't like the transition and reset. I also mysteriously had two Z-wave outlets break, and also an Alexa power supply that failed. They all seemed to occur coincidentally after flipping the breaker.

Last edited:
I'm interested in what you think of the Sense and its abilities to track each electrical device? A friend of mine wanted to buy one, but he's also seen the amount of data that my Brultech GEM generates, and is on the fence with the easy install of the Sense versus the nightmare that a Brultech GEM can be to install...

After I ripped out my GEM (pre powerwall install), it took me a whole day to re-install it again since its even more complex to wire it now to multiple areas and work out the configuration to have it all configured correctly. Totally worth the effort though as the amount of data it generates is great if you are a data junkie.

So far the Sense has discovered my Toaster, Freezer, Refrigerator, Microwave, Garage Door Opener and Dishwasher.

It can definitely track a specific device. Just takes a while to learn the devices.

• Informative
Reactions: NuShrike