Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Powerwall

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok so we had the power wall fitted on Wednesday as quoted - as they had a little more fiddling with data so they didn't complete install until late in the afternoon.

The images below are the first full day with zero charge remaining from the previous night.

T1.jpg

t3.png

t4.png

t5.png

t6.png

t7.png

Ok so we had the power wall fitted on Wednesday as quoted - as they had a little more fiddling with data so they didn't complete install until late in the afternoon.
It looks to me that some of the electrics are directly below a water tap. If correct, that's something I wouldn't be happy with given that taps have been known to drip.

We finally get a Backup Gateway 2 this week. It is only 22 months late. We have been running with the original Gateway waiting for the UK compliant one to arrive.
WPD have delivered fifteen power cuts this year alone so its arrival will not be a moment too soon.

It will be interesting to compare the earlier and later versions of the Gateway. The original one certainly had issues reacting to dramatic load changes when in "cost saving" mode and I am told (off the record) the Gateway 2 reacts quicker.

I am thinking of adding a third PW2 but am concerned to read the dimensions have changed as it may look a little weird stacking a third one in front of two original sized ones.

Last edited:
I am thinking of adding a third PW2 but am concerned to read the dimensions have changed as it may look a little weird stacking a third one in front of two original sized ones.

From my own experience, stacking Powerwalls 3-deep is not an allowed configuration (max is 2). That was what I was told by Tesla, but don’t know if this varies by country (but certainly true in US). If true, your 3rd one would need to go to the side. If so I have some info for you and I think that would be no problem:

H/W/D / Weight for
Original Powerwall 2: 1150/755/155mm / 125 kg
New Powerwall 2: 1150/753/147mm / 114 kg

So mounted to the side the new one would be exactly same height and only 2mm less in width, so it would look fine in my opinion. I was told that the new ones save on weight and dimensions by changing the outer steel casing to something lighter (and perhaps less robust), keeping the innards the same. (They do have slightly different mounting bracket but this is invisible after install). Good luck.

From my own experience, stacking Powerwalls 3-deep is not an allowed configuration (max is 2). That was what I was told by Tesla, but don’t know if this varies by country (but certainly true in US). If true, your 3rd one would need to go to the side. If so I have some info for you and I think that would be no problem:

I’m in California and had my 3 powerwalls installed last month. They allow 3 stacking.

System Design | Powerwall Support

92CF8256-220B-4CEE-A2EE-B50FACD11C1D.jpeg

Last edited:
Yup, checked today and the recommended max for stacking is three and as mentioned above, there is very little difference in size. On reflection, I will probably just start a second stack anyway as we will probably end up with four eventually as the DNO has signed off another 6kWp PV.

Yup, checked today and the recommended max for stacking is three and as mentioned above, there is very little difference in size. On reflection, I will probably just start a second stack anyway as we will probably end up with four eventually as the DNO has signed off another 6kWp PV.

FYI another thing local install group told me is they have yet to see the new PW revision in person. It may be they first show up in locations where new Gateway is available.

3 stacked max is a good answer. I calculate 3 max based on conduit fill chart. Tesla had buckets of 1" conduit nipples. 10AWG wire x 3 + 1 communications wire (estimated f0.125" diameter fill) exceeds 1" conduit fill if there are 4PW stacked. I don't see why they can't stack >3 as long as every triplet gets a 1" conduit.

Last edited:
SoundDT It was a coincidence you mentioning the cable sizes. We were discussing the installation of the Backup Gateway 2 today and one of the wire monkeys said he had read a recent recommendation with the new box to stick to the upper end gauge (1.5mm) for the +12 and GND connections. It may have even suggested using a separate cable for pins 1 & 2 (I wasn't really concentrating on the reasons why).

PW has been running now for about 3 weeks with no glitches. My wife thinks I am sad as I am constantly glues to the app though!!!

Main thing I have noticed is we have been on average 74% self powered (no gas) since the battery was installed. Without the battery it would have only been 33%.

Battery definitely increases the efficiency of solar by a substantial amount.

Two months in now and starting to get a few stats on the powerwall.

We have been 77% self sufficent on power since install. This would have been only 35% without the powerwall so the PW represents a significant improvement. In July with the better weather we have been 97% and 42%.

Part of the efficiency is actually being more aware of power use, boiling the kettle one, switching of items not in use etc etc.

Need a autumn (fall) and winter cycle to see the results over all four seasons.

Over the summer months the 5.5kw has been more than ample for our average 20kw consumption per day. It will be woefully low for winter.

Does anyone have a link of how the powerwalls are installed in stack of 3? I'm looking at getting 3 power walls, and the company I got the most detailed quote from was installing them all individually, with separate shut-offs and critical load centers, thus driving up the price of labor+materials. Is there a difference between their output/performance when stacked versus separate? Are they done in series versus parallel?

Does anyone have a link of how the powerwalls are installed in stack of 3? I'm looking at getting 3 power walls, and the company I got the most detailed quote from was installing them all individually, with separate shut-offs and critical load centers, thus driving up the price of labor+materials. Is there a difference between their output/performance when stacked versus separate? Are they done in series versus parallel?

There shouldn’t be any difference in performance or output when stacked vs separate. That is just how you choose to mount them. In fact, some people even do both (e.g. 2 stacks of 2 powerwalls along a wall.)

Having a separate shut-off and critical load center for each powerwall seems weird. I'm not sure I understand how that would even work. I got my system from Tesla directly and they did my install. The only additional cost for stacking multiple powerwalls was $200 per powerwall.

Here is the system design that Tesla sent me for my system. The powerwalls are drawn in series, but in reality are stacked together. It is a whole home backup with one critical load center. The gateway and powerwalls are inside my garage. The load center, main breaker, and solar inverter are outside my garage.

Outside garage:
0D2453DC-49FA-4F20-81F4-846A07AC485B.png

Inside garage:
A1154231-3321-40F3-AAFE-485136D2F37A.jpeg

Last edited: